2 person tables in MDR

Orlandorandall

We have in the past requested private tables in advance either through email to the Maitre’d of the ship or through John Heald.

Once was a table for 2 and we were sat directly in a walking path, it was like they grabbed a table from the back and added it to a walkway.

Another time we requested a private table for my Husband, 3 year old daughter and myself. We were sat at a two person table with an extra chair scooted up to the side. The space was so crowded they had a hard time putting dinner plates in front of us.

And the third time we requested a private table for our group of 5 and we were out at a table for 4 with a fifth chair slid up to the side. Again it was beyond crowded. 

So this time around we figured we would just wait until on board and go to the MDR and check on our table and make sure it was a private table for 2. We went there and it was a table for two but it was a row of four tables for two people each separated by no more than 3 inches each. Like i has to be careful not to elbow the stranger beside me if I moved my arms much. We asked for a more private table. They said the dining room was booked so they couldn’t move us. The only reason this ended up working out for us was the table next two us only came two nights and the other table next to us never showed up at all. We watched as almost every night about half of the tables showed up and many more private tables were never occupied. 

Now I know a lot of people will suggest YTD if you want a specific seating arrangement. Well one night we were staying in port so everyone was sent to the dining rooms as YTD. We again asked for. A private table for two and were sat in a row of four tables 3 inches apart. We were also sat next to an empty table that was soon occupied by some of the drunkest cruisers I have ever seen. Like the man was leaned over in front of my dinner plate from his seat asking how good my meal was. 

It really put a big damper on our dinners as the reason we ask for more private tables is my husband who works in construction has a hard time of hearing and when we are surrounded by people on either side he has a hard time hearing our conversation and he talked a louder since he’s hard of hearing and it interrupts the strangers dinners as well. 

My husband and I always get YTD and I would say twice have we had the tables that are "3 inches apart", and it wasn't an issue. We typically get a 4 top for the 2 of us and one time had a huge round table for the 2 of us. The dining room is only so big and it sounds like you've had issues with every seating arrangement given to you, so if you don't want to sit near people, pick YTD. You can still go at the same time each day and if you hate your seat, you won't have the same one the next night. 

You're now familiar with the dining arrangements.  There are no truly private tables in these high-capacity venues.  Continuing to ask, for and expect, will only frustrate and disappoint you.

Instead of looking at it as a negative, find a way to enjoy the experience knowing there are thousands on board who probably want the same level of privacy you do but realize everyone can't have what isn't available.

• Like 5

When we are not traveling with our large family, we enjoy a table for 2.  I send a request for a table for 2 and have always have always gotten tables were happy with—not too close to others. Even on our last cruise when we checked the first day to see where our table was and we were not at a table for 2. The table we got was a good location. Don’t be discouraged—there are good tables for 2. 😀  I don’t know if it makes a difference but we do early dinning. 

I like the booth for two where one seat is a booth and the other seat is a chair. Get one on the end so there's only one table next to you... I think there are 4-6 of those. There's a table for four next to you but it's further away than the tables for two you talked about. Less traffic if you can get one of the ones in the back of the dining room.

Edited by Saint Greg

5 hours ago, Orlandorandall said:

each separated by no more than 3 inches each.

Then how did you get up and leave, no one has 3" thighs. I know many people exaggerate this, it's probably more like a foot, but they are close together. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

You're now familiar with the dining arrangements.  There are no truly private tables in these high-capacity venues.  Continuing to ask, for and expect, will only frustrate and disappoint you.

Instead of looking at it as a negative, find a way to enjoy the experience knowing there are thousands on board who probably want the same level of privacy you do but realize everyone can't have what isn't available.

I agree. With thousands of guests, tables have to be close together in order to seat everyone. We have asked for a table for 2 in the past, said hello to the people beside us, and then enjoyed our private time together in a busy diningroom. Another time we spoke to the couple beside us, and that began a great friendship which has continued for about 5 yrs. We've cruised together ever since that first time we met. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Then how did you get up and leave, no one has 3" thighs. I know many people exaggerate this, it's probably more like a foot, but they are close together. 

I've posted this photo previously and it shows the typical distance between two tops that are side to side. The person at table 187 sitting on the bench would definitely have a tight squeeze getting in/out.

100_2224.JPG

Edited by joepeka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

I've posted this photo previously and it shows the typical distance between two tops that are side to side. The person at table 187 sitting on the bench would definitely have a tight squeeze getting in/out.

100_2224.JPG

Whoa. That's pretty bad. That end seat is about the area I was describing in my post. The tables haven't been that tight in that area on the ships I've sat there...which is Dream, Breeze, and Glory. I don't know how you get in and out of 187 there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

You push your chair back.

see Joe peka's post, looks close probably 6" to a foot, especially the table on the left looks like it has room. This would be illegal in Colorado, never pass a fire inspection. 

2 hours ago, joepeka said:

100_2224.JPG

This is similar to the one evening we spent in YTD since we were overnight in port. It would not have been a bad experience had we not been seated next to a couple completely wasted. 

I wish I could of gotten a picture of the tables we were assigned in our MDR. They were much closer together. The 3” separation of the table was no exaggeration. Obviously there was more room between the actual chairs but the tables were too close.

We went to the MDR in advance on the first day before dinner to make sure we had a table for two. When we saw how close together the tables were we asked to be moved to a different table, they told us the early dining was full and we should just try it out. 

Just get a large table, and enjoy your tablemates!  Either enjoy their conversation or their antics....up to you how you perceive them.  We find tablemates to be a good source of conversation for later at time.....but generally we truly enjoy having others to dine with.

You could always do "specialty" dining  nightly, if you're too sensitive to be around others.  In those restaurants, you are seated ONLY with your own party.

4 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Just get a large table, and enjoy your tablemates!  Either enjoy their conversation or their antics....up to you how you perceive them.  We find tablemates to be a good source of conversation for later at time.....but generally we truly enjoy having others to dine with.

You could always do "specialty" dining  nightly, if you're too sensitive to be around others.  In those restaurants, you are seated ONLY with your own party.

You sound like a broken record with this same response all the time. Not everybody is a social butterfly or wants to sit and enjoy strangers. As mentioned above I only see my wife on weekends so we have a lot of catching up to do by the time the weekend rolls around.

We've also had larger tables in the past and after grandma and drunk grandpa would bring their not so darling teenage grandchildren to dinner we had enough of the big tables.

Edited by Illbcruzn4life
  • Like 5

We also prefer a Table for Two for dinner but absolutely understand that it won't be 'private'.  It's the way mass market cruising MDRs are.  When we want 'nicer' on a variety of fronts, we sail Windstar.  It's really that simple. 

16 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Whoa. That's pretty bad. That end seat is about the area I was describing in my post. The tables haven't been that tight in that area on the ships I've sat there...which is Dream, Breeze, and Glory. I don't know how you get in and out of 187 there.

IIRC, getting in and out of that bench seat involved the wait staff pulling out the table then pushing it back in place. No way anyone (other than a child or small adult) could squeeze between those tables.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, joepeka said:

IIRC, getting in and out of that bench seat involved the wait staff pulling out the table then pushing it back in place. No way anyone (other than a child or small adult) could squeeze between those tables.

I forgot to add (and it's too late to edit) that the photo above was on the Freedom.

12 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

You sound like a broken record with this same response all the time. Not everybody is a social butterfly or wants to sit and enjoy strangers. As mentioned above I only see my wife on weekends so we have a lot of catching up to do by the time the weekend rolls around.

We've also had larger tables in the past and after grandma and drunk grandpa would bring their not so darling teenage grandchildren to dinner we had enough of the big tables.

At a Sea Day Brunch, some folks brought up politics and ruined our meal. We prefer a table for 2 unless we are sailing with friends. Another time before YTD we were sat with some people who we were not socially compatible, one guy wore a sleeveless shirt and baseball hat to dinner. After dinner we asked the Maitre's to change our tables and he did. 

• Like 1