Manhattan or Red Hook - When do we find out?

Rockymountainsparky

54 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Embarking/Disembarking cruises are usually from Red Hook.

In transit stops are usually Manhattan.

Note I say usually. Who knows what will be happening next year.  🤔

You’re correct. Princess embarks and disembarks cruises in Brooklyn (Red Hook.) Manhattan is used for the unusual itineraries where New York is a visiting port, not an embarkation port. Not sure about the Pacific Princess. That ship may embark in Manhattan. 

40 minutes ago, New Cruiser Girl 2 said:

And to get to Red Hook from Manhattan couldn't be easier. Get yourself down to the Wall Street Pier and jump on a South Brooklyn Water Taxi. 3 stops later you are right at the Cruise Ship Terminal. $2.75

Is the Red Hook area around the cruise port safe to walk around?

20 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I didn't feel unsafe (though I had a German Shepherd with me). It is very industrial and not a desirable place to walk around. I would probably feel safe walking to the subway.

3 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Never had an issue. My niece lived there for a few years and we took the ferry to visit from Manhattan. She actually threw me a birthday party in a park by here apartment. NO issues. 

4 hours ago, New Cruiser Girl 2 said:

And to get to Red Hook from Manhattan couldn't be easier. Get yourself down to the Wall Street Pier and jump on a South Brooklyn Water Taxi. 3 stops later you are right at the Cruise Ship Terminal. $2.75

Is the Wall Street Pier the NYC Ferry or is it called the South Brooklyn Water Taxi?

21 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

The Red Hook area has gentrified a lot since Superstorm Sandy.  While it's still a bit rough around the edges, there are trendy restaurants and wine shops on the main drag as well as an upscale food market and IKEA.  Renovated homes are being sprouting up.  Great views of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty from the park near the food market.

There is no subway within walking distance.  There is a bus along the main drag (can't remember the exact name) that goes to the Borough Hall area where you can catch the subway.

26 minutes ago, Desert Cruisers said:

The Red Hook area has gentrified a lot since Superstorm Sandy.  While it's still a bit rough around the edges, there are trendy restaurants and wine shops on the main drag as well as an upscale food market and IKEA.  Renovated homes are being sprouting up.  Great views of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty from the park near the food market.

There is no subway within walking distance.  There is a bus along the main drag (can't remember the exact name) that goes to the Borough Hall area where you can catch the subway.

Thanks.  
Sailing out of NY on Sky.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

12 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Several block walk to the bus stop (must have exact change) and then get off at a subway station. Then figure out the subway system to get you to Manhattan. That was a nightmare for us small town southern people. 🤦‍♀️

Just jump on the water ferry (which is very close to the ship terminal) over to Wall Street. We walked all the way up to Central Park and back. Or catch a taxi wherever you want to go from there.  EASY PEAZY!