Sky Princess - a mistake for those less able

DebbieMacG

I’ve just had it confirmed by the special assistance department at Princess that the new Sky Princess has only ladder access into all of their pools. There are no pools with gradual steps unlike all other ships.

They have one pool with a lift but a family member must be trained to use the lift, solo bathers or those who cannot or would not want to be hoisted into a pool are excluded from using the swimming pools onboard.

I am booked on this ship for a TA, I am disabled and need to be in the water daily to do exercise and to alleviate pain, I can manage gradual steps but can’t do a ladder. I would NEVER have booked this cruise on this ship had I know that ALL pools have ladder steps. 

I’m sure I’m not alone in this and there are many people who cannot manage ladder steps for various reasons.

• Like 2

Just now, BabySarge said:

Do you have enough upper body strength to be able to lower yourself into and out of the low end of the pool??  Is there a splash pool on this ship you could use?  What about the hot tubs?

No I don’t and I can’t do my exercise in the hot tub as they aren’t big enough but thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DebbieMacG said:

Thanks for your unhelpful reply. I didn’t ask for any help I was informing others of the issue as I know I won’t be alone. Many people can’t use ladders in pools.

We don’t have that kind of insurance in the UK (cancel for any reason) and this cruise takes me to the US where I will then be doing another 14 night cruise on a different ship for two weeks before staying in Miami and then flying home, so yes I’ll just bin a months worth of holiday because Princess aren’t able to cater for those less able.

I am sorry Debbie, I have trouble with a ladder also! I love to swim on vacation but would never get in a pool with only ladders!

Edited by Reader0108598

I am sorry you ran into this obstacle. Thank you for sharing the information for the other travelers like myself that have special needs. Why don't the cruise lines listen and think of all the travelers that might need accomodations. I really believe there are many people who would benefit from changes. We should be able to go and enjoy every area of the ships. I was just on the Island and it was not an easy trip. On the promonnade deck there were no automatic doors to go out and enjoy the deck. I am using a scooter and there were many times I was not able to proceed without assistance.I could go on and on about what we experienced. 

• Like 2

The pool in the Enclave is bigger than the hot tubs and hopefully that "pool" has steps.  The Enclave also might be better because it is enclosed.  I sure do miss the covered pools like on the Star - useable in all weather.

I'm sorry about the outdoor pools not having steps for you.  Most people can't understand how difficult life can be with a disability.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Have you informed Princess that this fouls up an entire month's vacation? If not, I'd do so immediately. Since it's a new ship, you had no way of knowing any of this when booking. Hopefully, they can work something out.

No I haven’t mentioned that, maybe I should, I have asked them if they can help with the problem and said there will be many people who can’t manage pool ladders.

Its taking them around ten days to reply to emails so not a quick process.

Edit: I’ve emailed the access office and mentioned the month long trip and asked about the enclave pool as well, thanks to everyone for your support (well almost everyone!) it’s much appreciated.

Edited by DebbieMacG
  • Like 5

I think the Enclave (spa) pool is a good solution. Can you check on the dimensions of the pool there to see if you could do exercises in it and if it can be accessed by steps?

There may also be heated loungers in the area to help with your pain and give you some relaxation after doing your exercises.

I have back issues and water exercise has kept me from having surgery, so I realize how important the exercise can be for you.

Your vacation plans seem to be wonderful. I hope the Sky Princess Cruise works out for you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I think the Enclave (spa) pool is a good solution. Can you check on the dimensions of the pool there to see if you could do exercises in it and if it can be accessed by steps?

There may also be heated loungers in the area to help with your pain and give you some relaxation after doing your exercises.

I have back issues and water exercise has kept me from having surgery, so I realize how important the exercise can be for you.

Your vacation plans seem to be wonderful. I hope the Sky Princess Cruise works out for you.

It may be a solution and thanks for your suggestion but I must admit I don’t see why I should have to pay out hundreds of dollars more to access a pool when other able bodied people can access the water without paying extra. 

Ive emailed them again but since the last reply took ten days, I may be waiting a while.

• Like 2

They have one pool with a lift but a family member must be trained to use the lift, solo bathers or those who cannot or would not want to be hoisted into a pool are excluded from using the swimming pools onboard.

The lift may be the solution Princess is providing.  There probably is some concern about people using stairs with mobility issues internally with corporate insurance etc.  Hope that you find a solution that you are comfortable with.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

It may be a solution and thanks for your suggestion but I must admit I don’t see why I should have to pay out hundreds of dollars more to access a pool when other able bodied people can access the water without paying extra. 

Maybe speaking to a manager, and explain your situation. They may be accommodating since you can't use the other pools.

Are the pools heated?  I don't know how warm they will be on transatlantic in Nov.  I hope the op gets answers; that's a shame.   What were they thinking?  

Edited by AF-1

3 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Are the pools heated?  I don't know how warm they will be on transatlantic in Nov.  I hope the op gets answers; that's a shame.   What were they thinking?  

I was about to say it as well - I find the water in the pools to be cripplingly cold. I can't even get into the pool.

You'd think it's just me, but my parents, DH and DS also found the water in the pool to be absolutely freezing. And we are talking Caribbean cruises where it's nice and warm, not Transatlantic.

Itchy&Scratchy;  absolutely.  I hope they find a solution.  But for me I won't be getting in the pool.  I am sailing Sky next October to New England and Canada.  No way will I be going into any pool. 

20 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I was about to say it as well - I find the water in the pools to be cripplingly cold. I can't even get into the pool.

You'd think it's just me, but my parents, DH and DS also found the water in the pool to be absolutely freezing. And we are talking Caribbean cruises where it's nice and warm, not Transatlantic.

This access office said that all pools were heated but we will see, they also initially said the retreat pool had gradual steps and sent me a photo of the pool on regal, they then retracted this and apologised and said they were wrong and no pools had steps only ladders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, postman999 said:

Noticed in a Utube video by travel agents on board a small pool with steps. Looks like might be in spa area. Better then nothing I guess.

Thanks, it’s probaly is the spa, I’m not sure if it’s big enough to walk about in and it would cost me several hundred dollars to access but I’ll try and find out.