Couches not in Ocean View and below cabins

Floridastorm

We usually book an Ocean View Cabin as we like to see daylight, thus an inside is out, and don't find the necessity for a balcony. That said, I notice that Princess and Norwegian do not seem to have couches in their Ocean View or Inside Cabins. Holland America and Celebrity have couches in every cabin. Have no idea why they would put couches in their Balcony Cabins and above but not in the Ocean Views and Insides. Since we have never been on Princess but would like to travel with them  Are there any of the Princess ships that do have couches in the Ocean View Cabins? Just cannot see traveling from 8 to 14 days in a cabin that has only the bed or maybe one chair for seating. 😕

Actually very few Princess cabins have couches. Just Deluxe balconies, mini-suites and suites.

Only exception I can think of is the Pacific Princess, smallest ship in the fleet, has a sofa in the standard balcony cabins.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49
  • Like 1

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/co-coral-princess/

Under each ship, there is an "accommodations" page - you can see here the size of the cabins in the photo and the layout if you click on "Diagram" below the photo.  

I agree with Jasbo49  - very few couches in cabins.  Most balcony cabins do not have couches either.   

--Note that Deluxe balcony cabins on Grand class ships have a larger balcony, but not a couch.  Only Deluxe balcony cabins on Royal class ships (Royal, Regal, Majestic, Sky ... ) include a couch.   

--Also note that most cabins only have  -one-  desk chair to sit in as the rounded chairs have been removed / are being removed.  So some photos show a rounded chair and a desk chair but in fact there is only the desk chair (there is a long complaint thread on here about that). 

Edited by cruisintoddler

40 minutes ago, cruisintoddler said:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/co-coral-princess/

Under each ship, there is an "accommodations" page - you can see here the size of the cabins in the photo and the layout if you click on "Diagram" below the photo.  

I agree with Jasbo49  - very few couches in cabins.  Most balcony cabins do not have couches either.   

--Note that Deluxe balcony cabins on Grand class ships have a larger balcony, but not a couch.  Only Deluxe balcony cabins on Royal class ships (Royal, Regal, Majestic, Sky ... ) include a couch.   

--Also note that most cabins only have  -one-  desk chair to sit in as the rounded chairs have been removed / are being removed.  So some photos show a rounded chair and a desk chair but in fact there is only the desk chair (there is a long complaint thread on here about that). 

That is really too bad as most older people cannot sit comfortably on a bed, especially to watch TV or just to have a conversation. When they outfit these ships don't they discuss these things with each other? Who makes the final decision? Guess we won't be traveling on Princess any time soon.

• Like 4

Considering the size of an inside room, I cannot imagine a sofa would fit.  They are tiny. Don't get me wrong, we've cruised with 2 adults and 2 kids in an inside room for 15 days (twice!) and it's CRAMPED. If you want the sofa then a more expensive category is needed. 

40 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Considering the size of an inside room, I cannot imagine a sofa would fit.  They are tiny. . . .

They wouldn't fit in outside rooms either; need a minisuite or better to have that kind of room.  We have cruised mostly on Princess, but have sailed on HAL and Celebrity occasionally.  It is nice to have a couch which I believe all HAL OV and better cabins have.  The only time we had a couch on Celebrity was on the Eclipse and it was actually a twin-size bed with vinyl covering with wedge cushions forming the back.  Not comfortable for us shorties.  Also made for less room for the desk area, which ends up being tiny.

1 minute ago, BarbinMich said:

They wouldn't fit in outside rooms either; need a minisuite or better to have that kind of room.  We have cruised mostly on Princess, but have sailed on HAL and Celebrity occasionally.  It is nice to have a couch which I believe all HAL OV and better cabins have.  The only time we had a couch on Celebrity was on the Eclipse and it was actually a twin-size bed with vinyl covering with wedge cushions forming the back.  Not comfortable for us shorties.  Also made for less room for the desk area, which ends up being tiny.

Thanks, I meant to say Inside and Outside cabins are too small. Thank you for clarifying. Would hate to confuse people. 

That's ok.  Actually, I think Inside cabins are smaller than Outside cabins.  On Princess the latter are 172-180 sq. feet and the former are more like 140-150 sq. feet, I believe.  We've only had an Inside once and that was on a 7-day Royal because they have few, if any, outside non-balcony cabins and thus balconies are more expensive than the OVs on the older ships.  We don't want a balcony and certainly don't want have to pay more than for an OV just because it has a balcony.  But that inside only had room for the double bed and a wall opposite with a desk, fridge and storage--no chair and not a place you want to spend any time except to sleep IMHO.  The Royal/Regal have no OV cabins like the older ships do on Plaza deck--our favorite location for its convenience.

9 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Not only don’t they have couches, they also took away the easy chairs that used to be in some of those cabins, leaving people with only a desk chair to sit on.   

So, I'm wondering why people want to cruise with them and also with Norwegian which seems to have the same problem? I guess if you want to spend the money for a suite, or can even afford a suite, then you get a couch to actually be able to sit down in the cabin. Incredible 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

We usually book an Ocean View Cabin as we like to see daylight, thus an inside is out, and don't find the necessity for a balcony. That said, I notice that Princess and Norwegian do not seem to have couches in their Ocean View or Inside Cabins. Holland America and Celebrity have couches in every cabin. Have no idea why they would put couches in their Balcony Cabins and above but not in the Ocean Views and Insides. Since we have never been on Princess but would like to travel with them  Are there any of the Princess ships that do have couches in the Ocean View Cabins? Just cannot see traveling from 8 to 14 days in a cabin that has only the bed or maybe one chair for seating. 😕

Like you I need a a chair or sofa/love seat for us to sit on.  There is my DH and me in a cabin.  So, one chair will not do.  Now I check price for a deluxe balcony on Regal/Royal/Sky  Princess against the other lines that I want to travel.  Our Oct cruise is on Princess (because we had a large cruise credit non refundable with them, that paid in total for the cruise and we still have $700. cruise credit.  So we will used that up too.

For our Dec cruise we are on Holland America.  We were able to get a very mid-ship balcony with a chair and love seat for $300. less PP that Princess's deluxe balcony, and the cruise were one day apart in departure date. .  Hal balcony seems to be bigger than Princess's.

You can see my HAL cruise in my signature.

Somehow my DH and I have managed to do just fine sitting on our twin beds if we're in the cabin during the day when we find the need to retreat there, which is rare for me, at least.  And we've done a lot of TAs with many sea days.  To each their own.  On HAL ships the bed(s) are under the window and thus TV viewing from there is not great.  But the couch is across from the TV-problem solved.

Edited by BarbinMich

27 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

So, I'm wondering why people want to cruise with them and also with Norwegian which seems to have the same problem? I guess if you want to spend the money for a suite, or can even afford a suite, then you get a couch to actually be able to sit down in the cabin. Incredible 🙄

We do not make cruise decisions based on couches. Decisions are based on where we want to go, the actual ship, and the on board experience. We have been sailing in balcony cat. cabins w/o couches for years on Princess with no issues. We don't sit around in the cabin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, skynight said:

We do not make cruise decisions based on couches. Decisions are based on where we want to go, the actual ship, and the on board experience. We have been sailing in balcony cat. cabins w/o couches for years on Princess with no issues. We don't sit around in the cabin.

Well, good for you. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Like you I need a a chair or sofa/love seat for us to sit on.  There is my DH and me in a cabin.  So, one chair will not do.  Now I check price for a deluxe balcony on Regal/Royal/Sky  Princess against the other lines that I want to travel.  Our Oct cruise is on Princess (because we had a large cruise credit non refundable with them, that paid in total for the cruise and we still have $700. cruise credit.  So we will used that up too.

For our Dec cruise we are on Holland America.  We were able to get a very mid-ship balcony with a chair and love seat for $300. less PP that Princess's deluxe balcony, and the cruise were one day apart in departure date. .  Hal balcony seems to be bigger than Princess's.

You can see my HAL cruise in my signature.

I also forgot to add the ports of call are better for us on HAL too.  I did mean to say the the balcony cabin, (not the balcony) seems to be larger on HAL.  We enjoy HAL too and have sailed on them many times before going to Princess. Now we look at HAL too and will be sailing with them.

27 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I also forgot to add the ports of call are better for us on HAL too.  I did mean to say the the balcony cabin, (not the balcony) seems to be larger on HAL.  We enjoy HAL too and have sailed on them many times before going to Princess. Now we look at HAL too and will be sailing with them.

how's the internet on HAL as compared to Princess ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Here is the tradeoff:  On Princess as Elite passengers we have free internet.  But we have to sit on the bed to use it in our room.  On HAL, there is a charge for the internet, but we have a comfortable love seat and coffee table in the cabin to use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

I don't know.  I have never use it.  On Princess I just check E-mail about every third day.    So, it is really not too important for me.  

I do get to go to Key West and Grand Turk,  Half moon Cay and DR -Amber Cove.  So, It is different for us the Regal's seven night cruises.

Last time I sailed HAL was in 2011.  So, we will see how it is again.

4 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

Well, we still continue to cruise with them and have great cruises.  Depending on the ship, you can spend a little more for a deluxe obstructed balcony and those cabins are one step up from an inside and you get  love  seat.  

You really can’t judge an entire cruise line for lack of an in-cabin chair when there are so many other attributes.   Good food, good entertainment, reasonably priced drinks, good clientele, good excursions, good lectures.  Great service all around.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

Well, we still continue to cruise with them and have great cruises.  Depending on the ship, you can spend a little more for a deluxe obstructed balcony and those cabins are one step up from an inside and you get  love  seat.  

You really can’t judge an entire cruise line for lack of an in-cabin chair when there are so many other attributes.   Good food, good entertainment, reasonably priced drinks, good clientele, good excursions, good lectures.  Great service all around.   

I agree you can't just a cruise line by not having a chair, if you don't care to have one to sit on.  Every one has a reason to chose a cruise line that "fits" them.  And if one thing is very important to them, then they have to chose a line that offers that option. What is important to me may not be important to someone or any one else, but it is very important to me.  What is great there are many good cruise lines to choose from.

Like you said a deluxe balcony is a good option, if in a person price range.  And the obstructed ones a great too.  both are a great option.

Happy cruising !

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Here is the tradeoff:  On Princess as Elite passengers we have free internet.  But we have to sit on the bed to use it in our room.  On HAL, there is a charge for the internet, but we have a comfortable love seat and coffee table in the cabin to use it.

I just checked the internet package it $110. for a seven day cruise.  The unlimited laundry is $49. per cabin, for a week.  I did the math and I come out ahead, even with giving up my Elite status.

I did buy the laundry package  ($49.) and a soda card (get $50. worth of soda for $25).  My DH drinks one beer a day, so that he will pay for.  We did come out ahead and with a place to sit too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

It is not an issue for everyone. I really could care less if there is a couch in the room.

The bed is fine for me.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Brilliant.....made me smile today and so true......