Meraviglia New York-Canada-Miami Oct/Nov '19

Beamafar

24 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Good morning Bea

How are you feeling today has the cold gone or is it any worse. If you wanted anything from a chemist we could bring for you tomorrow if you don’t feel like searching one out.

Forecast for NY today isn’t good so we made the most of Friday and Saturday 

See you tomorrow 

Hi Liz

Thank you so much for your kind offer.  I haven't checked out the shop onboard to see if they have lozenges and didn't see anywhere yesterday in Boston where I could get some.  We didn't do much other than a one hour bus tour after a brief visit to Faneuil Hall and didn't come across a pharmacy.  CruisingFox gave me a couple of blackcurrant flavoured ones a couple of evenings back and were very much needed when on the tour as my throat was very dry.

I have some cold and flu remedy medication with me which I took last night and helped me to get a good night's rest.  Mind you, I was dancing all night outside the Brass Anchor with a lovely woman from Newcastle, so that would be as likely a reason for me sleeping like a log, too.  😂

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow 😎

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Actually, I don't think the suck up is because they think you are leaving.  I would lay my money on the fact that is known you are doing a live report here on CC. It would not surprise me if your card was tagged. It has happened to me on other lines and at various resorts. 

We experienced it last night, lots of asking if we were leaving Monday and then if we were dining at the restaurant Sunday evening. Lots of extra smiles and handshakes. 

It was confirmed to us our departure delay was due to a medical emergency with a crew member. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mike C said:

Good morning, Bea

Any news on what time you're due into NY tomorrow?

See you tomorrow,

Mike

'Morning Mike ... will see if I can find out later.  We're sitting outside the Brass Anchor waiting for the Black Card event which is being held in the Galleria at 10am.  We're just going to observe from the mezzanine as I'm curious as to how it's going to be hosted.  Looks like all the seats are occupied in the Meraviglia lounge and there's lots of sounds of corks being popped 😁

20191027_095004.thumb.jpg.41006e35ebc7dec8fb920254646938b2.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

It was confirmed to us our departure delay was due to a medical emergency with a crew member. 

I'd wondered why they'd called out the crew cabin number ... makes sense now.

Galleria getting busier now

20191027_100115.thumb.jpg.a7c01c360397bf7cfd28cdec082f9e73.jpg

35 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

'Morning Mike ... will see if I can find out later.  We're sitting outside the Brass Anchor waiting for the Black Card event which is being held in the Galleria at 10am.  We're just going to observe from the mezzanine as I'm curious as to how it's going to be hosted.  Looks like all the seats are occupied in the Meraviglia lounge and there's lots of sounds of corks being popped 😁

20191027_095004.thumb.jpg.41006e35ebc7dec8fb920254646938b2.jpg

Black card event in the morning and not in a closed area !

19 minutes ago, sidari said:

Black card event in the morning and not in a closed area !

It was roped off, though.  They had a nice display in the ceiling.  There was a great party atmosphere with loud music playing.

Got the usual spiel about how wonderful Black (now Diamond) card members are and MSC values our loyalty.  🙄  I was expecting Gene to go all-out and call us all real Diamonds in MSC's eyes and that that was the reason for the name change

🤣🤣

Amazes me how they don't get the irony that a lot of the crowd probably have never set foot on an MSC ship before!! 😬

20191027_101222.thumb.jpg.3cbe5ea5af648e90b7e2f5f3d8c80fa3.jpg

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

@Mike C

I've asked the concierge about our ETA and got the expected answer of the time we're due to arrive, so I qualified the question and was told around 6.30am. (Where did the shrugging emoji go to lol 🙄)

Thanks Bea

I'll check the harbor cam when I get up tomorrow to see if you're in.

Mike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CruiseIreland said:

The cheek, Bea! 5 or 10 at most, no doubt! 

Thank you, Ken  😂😂

We are enjoying this cruise immensely and have so many wonderful people to chat to and dine with.

DH and I are considering only doing US-based sailings in the future because of it.  We have one East-Med booking for next year with flights included, so the deposit is too hefty to walk away from, but our next September booking only has the usual deposit and I've been considering cancelling it for some time now as it's not as attractive an itinerary as other sailings and the weather in that region can be dodgy at the best of times.

Sure ... there are a few ports we haven't been to, the price is fantastic for YC and the flights are very reasonable to Southampton;  certainly cheaper than for flights to Europe or the US for that matter, so there a lot of plusses and minuses to it.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Thanks 1

Today's weather (and its getting progressively worse!)

20191027_124115.thumb.jpg.f9af357b6f4c8cc140586b9d04125e3f.jpg

I don't think I've posted the YC room service menus yet.  I may be able to get 'steerage' ones on the next leg.  I have someone in mind to ask who may be kind enough to send me a photo so I can post it here.

They've removed the smoked salmon sandwich 😪 and added smoked salmon as well as cold cuts to the breakfast menu.

20191024_120423.thumb.jpg.729e61465ecca0df63543b6a82b010b2.jpg

20191024_120311.thumb.jpg.144a8d7ed5a0e49ebef2ddddee55e76b.jpg

20191024_120539.thumb.jpg.1cc8e7be657432e7fec3847b73fd5b68.jpg

Today's lunch menu 

20191027_123528.thumb.jpg.cc45d970b7bf9b91733cca1f8709d1d0.jpg

20191024_120423.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Very busy CM and we arrived during a Halloween Pet parade?!

Boston and surrounding areas were stunning though. 

8pm and still here. We had what IIRC, was a medical emergency code announcement just before 7pm.

Oh that's right! I forgot about that... a few friends brought their animals over for it. I had a party to host, errands and laundry with some final packing! I'm pooped! Currently watching you folks sailing towards New York south of Newport, RI online. What crap weather today! At least it'll be better tomorrow! Glad you had a good time! Sorry to hear of the medical code. Hopefully the person is alright. I know the Anthem couldn't leave until Meraviglia was gone.

DH had the crab starter and we both had the off-menu fishn'chips that we'd organised yesterday.  Unfortunately it wasn't as good as usual ... it seemed to be a different type of fish than we've had before.  We finished with raspberry chocolate cake

20191027_141439.thumb.jpg.bea1f80a0db155669a05e35a794cc902.jpg

20191027_141845.thumb.jpg.55a74d38086e84488734d01905e82748.jpg

20191027_141956.thumb.jpg.707537c3bdaed7f08eac38c957da763c.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Actually, I don't think the suck up is because they think you are leaving.  I would lay my money on the fact that is known you are doing a live report here on CC. It would not surprise me if your card was tagged. It has happened to me on other lines and at various resorts. 

BTW: Great live report. Keep on having a wonderful journey. I absolutely can not wait until you get to Ocean Cay and take 'real' photos of the island. I have a feeling what we are getting is highly censored. 

I was secretly wondering the same thing... on NCL, they knew I wrote reviews (books) at the end of the voyage so I had caught on a few times where the crew had told me I was on some board downstairs and to be on the look out for me. I thought it was creepy but kind of cool too. They want a good review so they go out of their way to give good service, however, don't be flattering me by telling me I look younger than I am. Because... I am YOUNG! 🤣🙄🤣

Bea's live reports are good to read. I won't be posting live this cruise but I do take copious notes and look forward to an extensive review. I type it on my phone as I go along and email whilst in port so I can compile it quickly upon return and get it in for publication.

Now if CRUISE CRITIC would get their helpful vote counter fixed for those of us who were converted into the new system... that'd be awesome! I still don't have any credits for the Seaside and Epic reviews. 🤬

6 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I haven't checked out the shop onboard to see if they have lozenges and didn't see anywhere yesterday in Boston where I could get some.  We didn't do much other than a one hour bus tour after a brief visit to Faneuil Hall and didn't come across a pharmacy.  CruisingFox gave me a couple of blackcurrant flavoured ones a couple of evenings back and were very much needed when on the tour as my throat was very dry.

Oh no! I wish you'd posted to me yesterday... I could've directed you from Fanuieul Hall. CVS Pharmacy was right up the stairs across the street from it on the other side of the City Hall building at Center Plaza! You were so close! 😭 Hope you feel better! I'll be going by a pharmacy in the AM (although not sure if it's open at that hour) on the way to the bus. Post if you need something before 9PM. 😎

Thanks a mil for the offer, CM.  It's very much appreciated 😘

I have plenty of medication and the sore throat seems to have cleared up.  A woman onboard has given me a couple of things too, so I should be covered.

I've been having honey in my ginger and lemon herbal tea which seems to have done the trick.  I'm having a lie-down for the afternoon to recharge my batteries for later this evening.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2019 at 9:53 AM, Beamafar said:

The YC restaurant manager has told me that the menus rotate every 14 nights, plus 2 Gala night menus (you can see which number menu you're getting as it's (small) printed on the side of the last page.

Happy to report that I am seeing some repeat menus from the earlier cruise threads – but it looks like more than 14-16.  Maybe each ship has some unique menus?

46 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Happy to report that I am seeing some repeat menus from the earlier cruise threads – but it looks like more than 14-16.  Maybe each ship has some unique menus?

I've often thought that,  alright, that they have menus specific to or suited for the region the ship is in.