Meraviglia New York-Canada-Miami Oct/Nov '19

Beamafar

17 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:
33 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Did you upgrade before the cruise. If yes did you pay over the phone by speaking with a YC CSR?

TIA 

That is how we did it as a special code not available on line.   

• Like 1

I've had a couple of issues around getting the wines included in the Premium plus package but, because any problems we have are being dealt with so well, I'm reluctant to post about them.  The crew are going above and beyond to rectify issues.  I hope to elaborate more when I'm home and using 10 fingers on a keyboard  - it's taking me too long to type stuff on the phone with thumbs that keep hitting the wrong letters. 🙄

36 minutes ago, marcoigna said:

thanks to bea - we did upgrade our package already - remember that there is 15% service charge what is done on board  - so that equals 2 days of upgrades already 

You’re lucky in UK they refuse to allow us to upgrade , I’ve tried many times but MSC UK keep saying it can only be done onboard for UK guests! 😥

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I've had a couple of issues around getting the wines included in the Premium plus package but, because any problems we have are being dealt with so well, I'm reluctant to post about them.  The crew are going above and beyond to rectify issues.  I hope to elaborate more when I'm home and using 10 fingers on a keyboard  - it's taking me too long to type stuff on the phone with thumbs that keep hitting the wrong letters. 🙄

Was that issues in the TSL or around the ship? I don’t want to upgrade if I’m going to have hassle at every bar etc. 

4 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

How did you get the special code ? I'm hoping you mean the CSR in the YC had to input one that they knew 😊.

699UPPPP - FEE FOR UPGRADE FROM PREMIUM TO PREMIUM PLUS PACKAGE Notes:

as per my tickets 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Redlondon said:

You’re lucky in UK they refuse to allow us to upgrade , I’ve tried many times but MSC UK keep saying it can only be done onboard for UK guests! 😥

Try calling back and quote this code

as per my tickets 

I did have to speak with 3 different people and finally found one who was aware of it.  

1 hour ago, Redlondon said:

Was that issues in the TSL or around the ship? I don’t want to upgrade if I’m going to have hassle at every bar etc. 

Only in the YC restaurant.  NO problems in any other venue.  The sommelier has sorted it out and we could not be more impressed with how committed the crew are to make things right! 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, marcoigna said:

Try calling back and quote this code

as per my tickets 

I did have to speak with 3 different people and finally found one who was aware of it.  

Yeah we’ve tried that code but they keep saying NO! I’ve emailed again just now but auto response told me to expect a reply in 7 days!!! 

1 hour ago, Redlondon said:

Yeah we’ve tried that code but they keep saying NO! I’ve emailed again just now but auto response told me to expect a reply in 7 days!!! 

MSC UK seems to have adopted a policy of not facilitating upgrades to Prem+ for YC from what I can gather from experiences shared here.  There were 2 posters on here who couldn't upgrade on Seaview for our sailing last month with the UK office, but were able to do so once onboard, though had to pay the 15% added service charge which they would have avoided had they managed to upgrade beforehand. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redlondon said:

Bea do you know if you can upgrade drinks package part way through cruise or does it have to be done on 1st day?

Had it confirmed by the concierge ... you only have the first 2 days in which to upgrade.

Here are the meals we chose last night.  DH had the soup, pork chop and fruit salad.  I had vegetable fritters, lamb and petits fours.

20191024_074717.thumb.jpg.8d7d4df5bdc6338bba69fee5a52060b7.jpg

20191024_074941.thumb.jpg.34f2d5beda0838befc148e0c79dd278c.jpg

20191024_075034.thumb.jpg.50abea0bcc61f67b035e5f8c900205cf.jpg

20191024_075255.thumb.jpg.b9be84d5a9d427c9a4a313304b780e5b.jpg

20191024_075446.thumb.jpg.b041b9838cd51d8a4f0ba800043ce47c.jpg

We have a wonderful waiter, Ian (I'm spelling that wrong;  I call him 009 and three-quarters).  A couple of nights ago we said to him that, had the food been hot, it would have been very nice.  Well, last night, the food came out piping hot.  He told us he will place our plates under the salamander evey time for 5 minutes before he brings them to us from here on.  He is disembarking when we get to Miami, but for anyone getting on in a few days time, his tables are immediately in front of the restaurant entrance back to the forward-looking windows.  I highly recommend him.

Arthur is onboard.  He was showing the YC restaurant to a couple from 'steerage'.  We recognised him as our waiter on Magnifica when he was on his first MSC contract.  I'd often wondered when people raved about him on here if it was the same guy.  Turns out we had him long before he became famous on here.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Did you upgrade before the cruise. If yes did you pay over the phone by speaking with a YC CSR?

TIA 

I managed to upgrade before sailing.  I emailed bookingmanagement@msccruises.co.uk.   At first, I was quoted a price that was the cost to go from the 'Easy' package to Prem+.  I replied saying that wasn't right as the cost should be from Premium, which is the YC package, to the Plus one.  It was another MSC rep that responded with a lecture on how there is no dedicated drinks package in YC blah blah blah (I've discussed this in my "What drinks package IS included in YC?").

Anyway ... after all that, I was quoted a price of €14 pppd to upgrade.

It was very shortly after that that people began to report on here that MSC UK was not facilitating the upgrade.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norwegian Cruiser 73 said:

Excellent photos Bea 👍 The rack of lamb looks delicious 😋 

Thanks NC!  It certainly was delicious;  DH reported that his pork chop was, too.

The fritters were very tasty, if slightly doughy.  DH helped me get through them;  they were too filling for me just as an appetizer.   After all, they are a mains for vegetarians.

So, we're experiencing rough seas since we set sail yesterday evening with a lightning show for a short while late last night which we enjoyed from the comfort of TSL.  😀

• Like 2

There is a wonderful atmosphere in YC on this sailing.  Most are English-speaking.  I don't believe I have ever spoken with so many different people onboard a ship before.  They're an extremely friendly lot and we are thoroughly enjoying this cruise.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Arthur is onboard.  He was showing the YC restaurant to a couple from 'steerage'.

Hi Bea -  would u happen to know where Arthur is working on ship - I understood he was promoted to head waiter.  Would love to say high to him for sure.  Met him on seaside on our 2 week cruise last year.  Super funny , but also super professional 

Bea,

I have really enjoyed all of your posts over the years.  We have been on the Seaside in YC twice previously and booked again in June.   We are going on the Meraviglia in November.

Question: What restaurants are included in the Black/Diamond dinner on the Meraviglia? I assume Butchers Cut and Ocean Cay....what else?  We did the Asian fusion place on Seaside and did not enjoy it.

Thanks for your posts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

There is a wonderful atmosphere in YC on this sailing.  Most are English-speaking.  I don't believe I have ever spoken with so many different people onboard a ship before.  They're an extremely friendly lot and we are thoroughly enjoying this cruise.

DH and I commented similar, everyone is very friendly and sociable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy1850 said:

What restaurants are included in the Black/Diamond dinner on the Meraviglia? I assume Butchers Cut and Ocean Cay....what else?  We did the Asian fusion place on Seaside and did not enjoy it.

Thank you for your kind comments.

You're correct on the 2 restaurants.  Unfortunately (for you, anyway) the 3rd is the Asian fusion one, Kaito.

We enjoyed BC the other night and will probably go at least once more.  We will also be going to the 2 others at some stage as we have the tryptic dining package, so I will report on our experiences afterwards.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thank you for your kind comments.

You're correct on the 2 restaurants.  Unfortunately (for you, anyway) the 3rd is the Asian fusion one, Kaito.

We enjoyed BC the other night and will probably go at least once more.  We will also be going to the 2 others at some stage as we have the tryptic dining package, so I will report on our experiences afterwards.

Thank you!  My wife does not like Steak and we went to the Asian Fusion place because Ocean Cay took the Crab sampler off the available menu...boo!

I am really excited about this cruise, we are bringing our two kids (11,13).  We had to book two cabins because the Meraviglia does not have many cabins that sleep 4 in YC.  I am not expecting their to be many other kids because of that.  

I look forward to reading the rest of your review!