15 Celebrity captains at once! (pic)

fstuff1

I'm currently on the Summit.

There's a big meeting here with the CEO. 😮

Captain's on the left (including Capt Kate of the Edge), hotel directors on the right.

Capt Matt of the summit is on the mic.

His hotel director is next to him.

Also, internet is HORRIBLE on this cruise!! 😞

IMG_20191021_190806912.jpg

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Nice picture!  Do you know how many total Captains they have at X?

I would imagine at least 2 per ship with a few in reserve to fill out contracts if something happens to one forcing them to leave a contract early. (That's the standard for the line I'm most familiar with anyway.)

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

I'm currently on the Summit.

There's a big meeting here with the CEO. 😮

Captain's on the left (including Capt Kate of the Edge), hotel directors on the right.

Capt Matt of the summit is on the mic.

His hotel director is next to him.

Also, internet is HORRIBLE on this cruise!! 😞

IMG_20191021_190806912.jpg

Great pic! Matt was our captain on the recently concluded NE / Canada cruise. He was amazing and brilliantly rearranged our itinerary to avoid two storm systems. He told us in one of his theatre presentations about the big meeting that was going to take place following our cruise. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Part of the meeting was going to be a thorough review of our cruise in terms of the course changes made. Capt. Matt explained much about it. The additional port changes, cancellations, extra time with pilots, and so forth, amounted to an extra $400,000 expense for Celebrity. Along with the two storm systems that had to be worked around, we also had a medical emergency and so about an hour after leaving dock in Sydney, we went right back in again to offload a passenger. Ambulance was waiting on the dock. So sad to see these things happen. Had we not changed course and itinerary, it would have been some really rough sailing. The plan was to get into Halifax before the storm hit. We were docked during it - very high winds and lots of rain. Then overnighted there (not on the original course). Next day was nice. Brilliant planning by Capt. Matt. I truly believe that had HE been the captain on our last cruise, we would not have would up in a mayday situation. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

What I don't understand is why the summit out of nj instead of the ships near hq in Miami and ft Lauderdale?

This was a short repositioning cruise so I guess the time frame worked out.  Summit is now sailing out of San Juan.

Pat

On 10/23/2019 at 12:24 PM, vtcruising said:

Nice picture!  Do you know how many total Captains they have at X?

It's quite a few as nominally the Captain, Staff Captain, and Safety Officer are all qualified in the Master (Captain) rating, so that would be 6 per ship (3 working, 3 holiday), about a dozen ships, throw in the fleet captain and a few spares, so guessing about 80

Edited by johhnnyt
  • Thanks 1