Havana area change

jimbo5544

2 hours ago, carib1 said:

My last cruise we had a Havana Aft Facing Balcony.  At night while sitting out on our balcony enjoying our view of the Havana area, it was usually ruined by the non Havana people using the area.  Instead of it being serene and peaceful, it was kinda obnoxious, beer cans rolling all over the deck, people pawing all over each other in the hot tubs, etc. So yes, if it is empty it is still being enjoyed by the Havana guests!  That is what we pay for!

Interesting......So it is not as underused as some have suggested after 7 pm.

"So yes, if it is empty it is still being enjoyed by the Havana guests!" 

Great point!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Do you agree or disagree that it should be open to all after 6-7 PM?

It should only be open to those who paid the premium for a Havana cabin and not open to all at any time.  And, if it were up to me, I'd raise the minimum age for a Havana cabin to 18!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, carib1 said:

My last cruise we had a Havana Aft Facing Balcony.  At night while sitting out on our balcony enjoying our view of the Havana area, it was usually ruined by the non Havana people using the area.  Instead of it being serene and peaceful, it was kinda obnoxious, beer cans rolling all over the deck, people pawing all over each other in the hot tubs, etc. So yes, if it is empty it is still being enjoyed by the Havana guests!  That is what we pay for!

Mental note to self: Don't paw on my husband at night in the Havana hot tub when I think we are alone. People are watching. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

many hotels, resorts and other cruise lines have upgrades for privacy, adults only, or upscale dining. Even as expensive as Sandals is they have 2 or 3 upgrades, club level, butlers, and over the water bungalows, don't understand the outrage. Want an inside cabin for $500 a week or a $2000 Havana balcony, yes you are getting the Havana for the quiet and privacy. 

If those who want to experience this haven, then PAY for it.  I do not want to see this area open to the public at all.  Those who will be coming late are for sure going to be obnoxious and rowdy and trash the area.  Maybe that’s the reason they changed it to only Havana 24/7, no public use.  

• Like 1

Hey, guys! I know I've been MIA (and no not in Miami. Well, actually yes, I have been there a few times now that I think about it) for awhile. Took a break from cruising so I haven't been on here. I just booked Radiance for October and have been stalking for a week or two and haven't found anything that I really felt like chiming in on until now. I see some things haven't changed lol.

Let me say this. Having stayed in Havana on Vista, I think it's about time they made this change. Just because you used to get to do something, doesn't mean it's always going to be that way. If they would have restricted it from the beginning, then OP wouldn't have been back there, and, therefore, wouldn't "miss" it. It is perfectly fine to age restrict any area of the ship because, well, it's THEIR SHIP! If the disco isn't being used hardly at 11pm, does that mean they should open it back up to everyone under 18 in the evening even though the little kiddies enjoy it during the day? No. 

I think people can complain as much as they want to Carnival, but the majority of the cruisers are happy with this change. Do I need to bring up the switch and then reversal of the aft pools on Conquest Class ships? We spoke, and they listened. Adults like to have areas to be able to go with out little ones. Granted, those are 18 and over and Havana is 12 and up, but you also pay a hefty premium to stay there, so I feel it's justified.

Anyway, it's great to be back!

• Like 1

Oh and for the record, I also believe there should be an age limit for First/Business Class on flights. I was in Premium Economy on Virgin Australia last year and there was a screaming toddler in Business Class. If I had paid $8K plus and had to listen to that for hours I would have been HOT! On a side note, I bid for an upgrade to Business and it was accepted for my trip home. Thankfully no rugrats and I thoroughly enjoyed being spoiled. I was actually sad when my 12 hour flight was over.

1 hour ago, firemanbobswife said:

Hey, guys! I know I've been MIA (and no not in Miami. Well, actually yes, I have been there a few times now that I think about it) for awhile. Took a break from cruising so I haven't been on here. I just booked Radiance for October and have been stalking for a week or two and haven't found anything that I really felt like chiming in on until now. I see some things haven't changed lol.

I haven't paid attention to this thread, but noticed that FBW was the last poster, so I had to come say welcome back. Or maybe I should say, you were free, run while you still can! 😜

I do have an opinion on this matter, but after 12 pages, I'm sure all points of view are played out, so I'll avoid the drama.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Organized Chaos said:

I haven't paid attention to this thread, but noticed that FBW was the last poster, so I had to come say welcome back. Or maybe I should say, you were free, run while you still can! 😜

I do have an opinion on this matter, but after 12 pages, I'm sure all points of view are played out, so I'll avoid the drama.

Hahahahahahahaha! Thanks! 

11 hours ago, firemanbobswife said:

Let me say this. Having stayed in Havana on Vista, I think it's about time they made this change. Just because you used to get to do something, doesn't mean it's always going to be that way. If they would have restricted it from the beginning, then OP wouldn't have been back there, and, therefore, wouldn't "miss" it. It is perfectly fine to age restrict any area of the ship because, well, it's THEIR SHIP! If the disco isn't being used hardly at 11pm, does that mean they should open it back up to everyone under 18 in the evening even though the little kiddies enjoy it during the day? No. 

I think people can complain as much as they want to Carnival, but the majority of the cruisers are happy with this change. Do I need to bring up the switch and then reversal of the aft pools on Conquest Class ships? We spoke, and they listened. Adults like to have areas to be able to go with out little ones. Granted, those are 18 and over and Havana is 12 and up, but you also pay a hefty premium to stay there, so I feel it's justified.

Anyway, it's great to be back!

Missed you, glad to see you posting.  I will be doing Radiance TA review in June.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, James4me said:

If those who want to experience this haven, then PAY for it.  I do not want to see this area open to the public at all.  Those who will be coming late are for sure going to be obnoxious and rowdy and trash the area.  Maybe that’s the reason they changed it to only Havana 24/7, no public use.  

Do you need to pass a “class” test to purchase? 

I think whether or not the area was busy enough to necessitate the change isn't the issue, it is about perceived value and sales. Havana is usually more expensive and if you are gone in port most of the days it is harder to sell the value in a Havana cabin for just a few hours of exclusive access. I think this move will allow Carnival to justify a higher price tag. If it something that bothers you then I would sail on a ship without Havana. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 12:48 PM, tallnthensome said:

You didn’t pay extra like everyone else has to enter that area, simply put. Maybe the people that did don’t want you or your kids in that area ....ever......since they paid extra . Yes, a few  bad apples spoils a bunch and for that reason alone is why no non Havana guests aren’t  allowed in there now. I don’t want anyone or anyone else’s kids in an area I paid more for ever while I’m there at all no matter what the time. You simply want access to what others have paid for that you have not. 

You are all over the place on this topic and want to defend your exclusive use of this area. I get it, but not the majority opinion! The majority of people on the ship are families with children under twelve. Contrary to what you have also been posting, the Havana area is not the most expensive area on the ship. Your small premium payment of a few hundred dollars doesn't make you any more special or exclusive than other passengers. Once again, I gladly would pay extra for the Havana area if given the opportunity to do so! And no, a few bad apples should not spoil the bunch. 

On 1/17/2020 at 7:00 PM, James4me said:

First, you are not the individual who determines what others should be able to discuss concerning their view-point because you don't agree with it. I can offer a different perspective which is the intended point of this forum. It is great that you will be able to enjoy the Havana on your next trip. My family had a wonderful time on our cruise last week to the Southern Caribbean as usual. Interesting to me that young children are blamed for all issues related to this area. My daughter is more than well behaved, and is welcomed and remembered all over the ship on each of our cruises. We personally received a thank you note and food trays from Mike the Cruise Director, Camp Ocean, and Guest Services. Why, because my family and I respect all crew members, are friendly to all guests on board, and don't demand any special privileges. I think it is the rowdy, drunk, adults who cause the majority of the problems on cruise lines. The same ones you want to be isolated with in the Havana area. Our cruise last week was quiet, wonderful, and the Havana area was empty after 6 pm. I would also gladly pay for the area if given the opportunity to do so. My family would be very well behaved. Enjoy your next cruise with your family.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, firemanbobswife said:

Oh and for the record, I also believe there should be an age limit for First/Business Class on flights. I was in Premium Economy on Virgin Australia last year and there was a screaming toddler in Business Class. If I had paid $8K plus and had to listen to that for hours I would have been HOT! On a side note, I bid for an upgrade to Business and it was accepted for my trip home. Thankfully no rugrats and I thoroughly enjoyed being spoiled. I was actually sad when my 12 hour flight was over.

My six year old has traveled on international flights since she was born and we never had any issues or complaints. Most individuals in First and Business Class wanted to hold or play with her. I also paid a premium for her seat, just like you, which is my right! You can't let one flight experience exclude everyone from flying in any area they choose. Question, how many flights have you taken where adults have acted rude and rowdy? Far more than the one experience you had with the screaming toddler I am sure!

On 1/17/2020 at 7:00 PM, James4me said:

I want to thank Carnival for a wonderful cruise last week. Particularly Mike the Cruise Director, Both Natasha's in Guest Services and Camp Ocean, and the entire Horizon crew. Our cruise experience was once again extraordinary! I am amazed to see all of the discussions comparing the Disco, Camp Ocean, above deck pools to the Havana Area. You can't sleep with your family in either of these, so using them as a comparison is interesting. The Horizon has an adult only area, Serenity! This is where adults are able to socialize without any children. It is quite nice, and I enjoyed the communication I shared in the whirlpool with other guests. I believe the Havana area should be opened to all on the ship, because the Lido Deck and aft area whirlpools are over-crowded and not well designed. In the same vane, the Havana area is under-utilized. I am sure Carnival may be addressing this with the Mardi Gras and other Vista class ships in the future. Plenty of space on port side, forward, deck 5 to include additional pools. I understand many want an adult only zone where they can lounge without children. You already have it all day in the Havana and also in Serenity. Why not open it up after 6 pm for all to enjoy. Also, I am aware that many families and adults are not as fortunate as you or I, and can't afford a room in the Havana area. Wouldn't it be nice for a family or adult, who saved up and barely had funds to get on board to be able to enjoy that beautiful aft view, watching their children's eyes light up as they see the wake of the ship from the whirlpool just for a few hours? I think many of us take for granted what we have, and always want to exclude others. Disappointing! Enjoy your next cruise. PS, a cruise tip is to bring your own fully covered umbrella on board to avoid paying for one, have the ability to set up anywhere on the beach away from the crowds, and also keep your family sheltered from the sun and rain! My family is in the blue umbrella. Thank You Carnival. See you again soon!

Horizon Grand Turks 2020.jpg

Edited by Oldskl
Additional comment
  • Like 1