Boarded Edge Yesterday—First Impressions

GeorgiaPeach51

13 hours ago, hcat said:

Do you know who the CD will be on  Friday's cruise?

Weather where we live has turned bitter cold an we can't wait to get  on EDGE,.

Thanks so much for keeping up with this thread .... I will not do a live from review but plan a review of the Sunset Veranda and 4 mdr plan...

I'll be anxious to read your review of the SV...we board 12/1...CANNOT GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!!

Thanks,

Susan

Editorial comment in the pet peeve category....

if you are on an elevator and the door opens to reveal people who would like to join you in said elevator, do not stand in your one square foot of space and refuse to yield as if your shoes are superglued to the floor.  That square foot you occupy is not your birthright nor is it your inheritance.  It is simply on loan and you will find a brand new space that could be just as exciting if you are brave enough to step back, right or left just an eensy little bit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

just back from our first Costa cruise (surprisingly good bar the food lol).  They are cemented to the lifts floors on that cruise unable to move even to let you out if you are behind them.  The lift and I became very acquainted as I bypassed my intended stop on numerous occasions lol

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Total bummer about the creme brûlée - that is usually a standard for those of us who are gluten-free. 😞

I am going to try and request it as there is not usually a lot else.  Last celebrity cruise in July I ended up with a bowl of cherries in sauce  with nothing else twice.  If that fails I will try and request ice cream with a baileys (did that a lot on my Marella cruise in Feb).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fragilek said:

I am going to try and request it as there is not usually a lot else.  Last celebrity cruise in July I ended up with a bowl of cherries in sauce  with nothing else twice.  If that fails I will try and request ice cream with a baileys (did that a lot on my Marella cruise in Feb).

I figure worst-case I'll just save those calories. It'll help with the Transformation Challenge at OrangeTheory anyway. 😛

4 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I figure worst-case I'll just save those calories. It'll help with the Transformation Challenge at OrangeTheory anyway. 😛

never heard of that in UK (had to look up) - I do that ahead of the cruise to fit in my summer clothes lol- I then book a cruise once we return to refocus and start again.  My husband pointed this out when I booked the Edge this week 4 weeks after returning from last cruise - he suggested Scottish Slimmers would be much more cost effective weight loss program lol

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

It’s hard to say.  I think they are all appealing.   Cosmopolitan is pink, white, with dark touches; fabulous art nouveau glass displays.  Even the dishes are pale pink.  Very elegant.

most people seem to like Normandie the best...it’s primarily black and white.  All of them are comfortable to me.  The noise depends on where you are seated.  With tables so close together, even a two top is not private.  If you seek less noise try to get a window table.  Those are valuable to me, not for the view (there really isn’t one when we eat at 7.  All you see is dark water).  But it is valuable for the fact that you have only one other table beside you.  Sometimes what I want is a peaceful dinner with my husband, and close tables invite shared conversation. Most evenings we find ourselves talking with adjacent tables.  Sometimes if you have people on both sides who want to talk it can be a fun, but very talkative dinner.  We have met wonderful people and had some great conversations but since you mention a need for quiet, keep that in mind.

so, request a table at the window.  Also, don’t let them place you near a service area, where you will have to contend with dishes clanging not to mention the lack of visual appeal.  Be watchful...they are cleverly hidden behind screens.  We were seated beside one in Tuscan and immediately asked to move, which they did with no fuss.  

I think Tuscan is my least favorite visually but we had very personalized service there from Daniel.  Every restaurant seems to have chair cushions which are great if you are seated at one of the banquette type tables...the kind with a long, cushy bench with a back.

i hope you get Select and can have choices!  Have a great time...it’s hard not to, IMO!

Thank you so much for all the info. Just sent a request to Celebrity Dining for the Normandie. We shall see what happens. We are a table for 4, but I wear hearing aids and like to have a wall behind me for the noise level. Hopefully being Elite and having 5 upcoming cruise will help with the request. 

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Editorial comment in the pet peeve category....

if you are on an elevator and the door opens to reveal people who would like to join you in said elevator, do not stand in your one square foot of space and refuse to yield as if your shoes are superglued to the floor.  That square foot you occupy is not your birthright nor is it your inheritance.  It is simply on loan and you will find a brand new space that could be just as exciting if you are brave enough to step back, right or left just an eensy little bit.

Agree with this for most situations.  But at times there is just no more room to step back and people still want to try and squeeze in.  Then of course the elevator door will not close.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GP51: Thank you for your reports on the Edge. We are cruising soon out of Fort Lauderdale, mostly just to give her a try. We actually booked the trip while on a recent Silhouette TA! Hubs is a little bummed about no Sky Lounge, but I’m sure he will find another favorite roost. We picked a Deluxe Inside Cabin for our first Edge experience to keep costs down. Looking forward to the 4 MDRs and Eden. 
I appreciate all your tips and observations! Happy sailing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

TeeRick, I agree...sometimes you can’t move at all.  My peeve is with the people who have the space to move and don’t.  A very small and petty thing to be sure!  

My big elev issue is folks who carry piled high plates of food ,  or  one or two hot bevs  filled to the top without cover..sloshes around til the inevitable happens. Spills are dangerous!

On one cruise we were on our way to disembark....I was scalded and had to smell like coffee all the way home.. 

As to the other issue, some folks have trouble judging  their size or the numbers of people that can fit in to a fairly full  elev car.  There is no " Make it Fit" feature on the elevators. 

When we are dressed up,  I do not appreciate being stepped on,  body crushed or smothered. 

Edited by hcat

We dislike the banquette seating...esp if its along a divider or wall  where several tables run across.

I recall that Tuscan had very nice art work...Normandie has part of the old panels, and  one had an amazing collection of lalique (I think)

.We went through most of the MDRs  on the All Access Tour.  Can't wait to actually dine in each of them.    Highly rec that tour!

3 hours ago, fragilek said:

never heard of that in UK (had to look up) - I do that ahead of the cruise to fit in my summer clothes lol- I then book a cruise once we return to refocus and start again.  My husband pointed this out when I booked the Edge this week 4 weeks after returning from last cruise - he suggested Scottish Slimmers would be much more cost effective weight loss program lol

You taught me something! I had to look up Scottish Slimmers. 🙂

I do OrangeTheory and WW (formerly Weight Watchers) in non-cruise life. I figure if I can keep up with workouts (I signed up for the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) class pack on board then I can let the eating slide a little. 

3 hours ago, lola2013 said:

I'll be anxious to read your review of the SV...we board 12/1...CANNOT GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!!

Thanks,

Susan

I  packed  a small tape measure  for getting  the dimensions of our deck 7 Veranda. Will also see if any friendly neighbors will let me take a peek at their SVs.

Not planning a running live review   but will  do a run down of that type of cabin to supplement  the great  information already  posted by others. 

I  usually have mixed results posting pics from my tablet, but have a few friends who may be able to assist with that.    🙂

Edited by hcat

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

TeeRick, I agree...sometimes you can’t move at all.  My peeve is with the people who have the space to move and don’t.  A very small and petty thing to be sure!  

I have been known to embrace my former rugby persona and find that they can move when accidentally bumped with profuse apologies and commenting good job there was plenty of room behind you lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, hcat said:

My big elev issue is folks who carry piled high plates of food ,  or  one or two hot bevs  filled to the top without cover..sloshes around til the inevitable happens. Spills are dangerous!

On one cruise we were on our way to disembark....I was scalded and had to smell like coffee all the way home.. 

As to the other issue, some folks have trouble judging  their size or the numbers of people that can fit in to a fairly full  elev car.  There is no " Make it Fit" feature on the elevators. 

When we are dressed up,  I do not appreciate being stepped on,  body crushed or smothered. 

That's why I do stairs; hate elevators even if my cabin is on deck 12. If I get tired in between can always stop off for a martini. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

I  packed  a small tape measure  for getting  the dimensions of our deck 7 Veranda. Will also see if any friendly neighbors will let me take a peek at their SVs.

Not planning a running live review   but will  do a run down of that type of cabin to supplement  the great  information already  posted by others. 

I  usually have mixed results posting pics from my tablet, but have a few friends who may be able to assist with that.    🙂

Thanks...we will be on deck 9 just off center in 9309.  According to VTcruising, we have a smaller balcony, but it's still a true balcony and we're thrilled.  When both Edge and Jewel of the Seas were docked in Naples a few months ago, my friend and I ran over to Edge to get a peek at our verandah...so excited that we'll finally be able to enjoy it.  When we booked our Med cruise almost two years ago for this past summer, Edge wasn't yet a reality so we went with RCCL.  Great cruise, but so anxious to enjoy all things Edge (with the exception of the $95 t-shirt).

9 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Thanks...we will be on deck 9 just off center in 9309.  According to VTcruising, we have a smaller balcony, but it's still a true balcony and we're thrilled.  When both Edge and Jewel of the Seas were docked in Naples a few months ago, my friend and I ran over to Edge to get a peek at our verandah...so excited that we'll finally be able to enjoy it.  When we booked our Med cruise almost two years ago for this past summer, Edge wasn't yet a reality so we went with RCCL.  Great cruise, but so anxious to enjoy all things Edge (with the exception of the $95 t-shirt).

lola, your balcony will be wonderful. My guess is that the deck 9 balconies on either side of the center 2 will be just a hair smaller than the average sized ones (looking at the curve of the firewalls). hcat scored one of the two biggest ones - she will measure as I am trying to figure out the size of each. If you have a measuring tape and want to measure yours, that would be great!

If they still have the $55 t-shirts like I got, they are worth it, IMO. I wouldn't pay $95!

Enjoy your cruise - can't wait to hear about the fun that you and hcat have onboard! 🙂

If you look at the picture, the ones on 9 are barely different (my guess anyway).

image.thumb.png.de411e06f72c8be9ce7d05d235ca2aa1.png

58 minutes ago, Alushar said:

I have been known to embrace my former rugby persona and find that they can move when accidentally bumped with profuse apologies and commenting good job there was plenty of room behind you lol

LOL, nothing like a quick scrum in the lift!

bon voyage

• Like 1

Hcat and lola2013, I will be so interested to see what you think of her!  We were discussing the future and both agree we would love the Edge again, but would try to do a balcony or suite.  

But I encourage everyone to try the IV rather than skip the ship if that is all that is available.  

As I walked around today I purposely looked for art I had passed before and not noticed, and there is so much and so much of it is so interesting or beautiful or quirky.  As far as the decor, it is easy on my eyes....for me it is saved from being so modern as to be sterile by the soft furnishings...the nice chair groupings, and the warmth of some of the colors.  It’s very pleasing to me.  I hope those of you who follow for the first time will enjoy it.  To me, it’s no different than staying in a grand old B & B vs a big, modern hotel.  You go expecting them to be different and hopefully enjoy them for different things.  

Tonight is dressy night...I’ll let you know what I see regarding how people dress.  

P.S. Thanks to whoever gave me the right term for the beautiful glasswork in Cosmopolitan...Lalique!  Yes!  And it’s stunning!

• Thanks 1

Enjoy your dressy chic evening! Hope you get some nice photos for memory book...

Agree that we would do an IV again on EDGE or APEX but not in AQ..probably Concierge .  If EDGE were berthed in Bayonne, she'd be our local Go To.

We are hoping Connie in Tampa works out for us in the future so  we can avoid the East Coast port.  Not a big fan of driving  across Fl and esp dislike the EDGE pier. Yes, they dressed it up a bit, but it is still in an awkward location. Our fav is the one on opp side of port near Conv Center...parking lot is  right there.,easy peasy!

This time we are flying in,  but still have to drive across Fl  post cruise to our place there.

Edited by hcat

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Enjoy your dressy chic evening! Hope you get some nice photos for memory book...

Agree that we would do an IV again on EDGE or APEX but not in AQ..probably Concierge .  If EDGE were berthed in Bayonne, she'd be our local Go To.

We are hoping Connie in Tampa works out for us in the future so  we can avoid the East Coast port.  Not a big fan of driving  across Fl and esp dislike the EDGE pier. Yes, they dressed it up a bit, but it is still in an awkward location. Our fav is the one on opp side of port near Conv Center...parking lot is  right there.,easy peasy!

This time we are flying in,  but still have to drive across Fl  post cruise to our place there.

I'm booked in a CC on Apex next year. Originally upgraded from balcony verandah (not IV,)  Now that I've added the 4 perks don't really need concierge as no value in it for me. I'm already Elite status. Would it be worth downgrading to a regular IV with the perks?

• Like 1