Planned off days on Viking Ocean

ClevelandKid

Greetings,

We did a cruise in 2018 (Venice to Athens) where we had a couple of days with no ports of call, but that was because of bad weather and not because they were planned.

We are considering a cruise (Caribbean and Panama Canal) where there are multi-day sailing between ports and were wondering - when there are planned off days, what does Viking do to keep things lively?  On our first cruise they whipped up some stuff, but like I said, that was unplanned, so I am wondering what they do when they know it is coming!  

Thanks,

Pat

Our cruise starts with 8 sea days, which is a great opportunity to learn the ship, get to know some of the crew and meet some of the other pax. If time available, might even stop by trivia and a lecture, complete a few laps of the Prom Deck, stop by the spa and in the evening check out the show.🙂

• Like 3

We have 2 sea days during our Iceland’s Majestic Landscapes tour. I’m looking forward to the time to sleep in and decompress. Also, we are spending some of our precruise time in Bergen before we depart from there.  So I’m hoping I’ll be less frantic about seeing everything I can in a Bergen before we set sail... so maybe my boarding day and the day after will be a bit more leisurely. 

I wonder if the spa is open the day we board? Does anyone know? It would be fun to settle in and relax a bit in the spa that afternoon before drills and dinner. 

33 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

On our recent Bergen to Barcelona trip, the spa was taking reservations on departure day, but I don't believe services were available.  The retail stores, of course, were closed.

But the spa facilities can open without the paid services being available.

Steam room, snow grotto, pool and hot tub are open on change over day along with the sauna and cold plunge pool in the locker rooms.  The gym is open too.  As stated, no spa or hair salon services but there is staff at the entry to the gym to make reservations.  Always subject to change of course based on various countries rules.  Not the spa restrictions but in some countries so far we have not been able to watch live tv while in port.  Go figure that one...😎 

• Thanks 1

There are often cooking classes offered on sea days.  Attendees do prep, the chef demos the dishes and then everyone eats and drinks together.  It is fun.  Another fun thing is the Icelandic Spa special ($49 a couple of years ago) that includes a bag of goodies like masques, defoliating cream, etc which you use for a steam, the snow grotto etc.  It is a great and relaxing experience.  Yes you could just use any of those things without paying but it was a fun way to learn how to use the facilities.  There is also one for hair but I did not try that.  This is in addition to the lectures and shows and music.

"...what does Viking do to keep things lively?"  By the time we board a cruise we are totally exhausted.  Our work schedules are crazy and we are so busy there's little time to relax.  Viking is the ONLY cruise we have ever totally relaxed on.  First thing after breakfast we put in a mile or two walking and enjoying the fresh sea air.  Armed with our ipads and kindles, we head for the Living Room, after we've gotten a little exercise. We start in on the books we've been hoping to read all year, but didn't have time, and look up only briefly to tell the kind wait staff that we'd like a latte or a cup of tea.  Sometimes we interrupt our reading to chat with another couple and get a fresh cup of coffee. 

In the afternoon when my husband heads to work out, I make my way up to have afternoon tea, and usually end up having an interesting conversation with someone.  

We'll usually hang around which ever music venue we are interested in before dinner, then hit the dance floor for a bit after dinner. 

Although we love exploring ports...we would say, some of our best memories are from sea days when we are forced to relax.  We're now talking about doing an Atlantic crossing...just to have a vacation where we have no options but to rest and relax.  

• Like 2