Allure evacuated Coco Cay

BND

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Well so much for forecating weather, they had to know this is what was coming, they should have never stopped there if this was in the forecast.  Someone made a major  error in allowing this to happen. This is what forecasting weather is all about when you allow all those passengers and the ship to be in that kind of danger. Someone had to see this coming much earlier!

I'm sure someone's head will roll on this one. I'm sure we have not heard the last of this.

van Fleet?

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Well so much for forecating weather, they had to know this is what was coming, they should have never stopped there if this was in the forecast.  Someone made a major  error in allowing this to happen. This is what forecasting weather is all about when you allow all those passengers and the ship to be in that kind of danger. Someone had to see this coming much earlier!

I'm sure someone's head will roll on this one. I'm sure we have not heard the last of this.

I don't think any heads will roll. If so it will be because of having to listen to passengers complain because they had to leave and didn't get their full day there. Weather isn't 100% predictable.

The ship was rocking bad all week. It was a bit scary walking the pier in and out. I was running around the island collecting my family after the announcements. They were rather efficient evacuating. We weren't there very long, just enough time for everyone to scatter. I saw several children scared, and understandably parents too. Crew kept us well into the middle of the pier and we were blown around into each other with gusts. My husband was on ship when they decided not to let any more passengers off, and for a few minutes they wouldn't let anyone come back on the pier either.  I saw from the island some waves that crashed into the pier go higher than the things that cover the pier, (the sail things). Quite an adventure and obviously disappointment, for passengers and crew. The crew were excited to go to cococay for the first time,  but at least they get to try again next time. 

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

How scary.

You never know what can happen.

Your pictures are awesome.

Thanks for  taking the time to share them.

I can only hope everyone was reimbursed for what they pre paid for and missed.

Safe travels

Glad you enjoyed them. The second video took almost 40 minutes to load using voom. It was crazy slow and I timed it. I never thought it would take that long. I don't know if it had anything to do with me using my phone or if voom is just like that.

Captain did announce early on that people would get full refunds.

Edited by ReneeFLL

16 minutes ago, countess5 said:

WOW! How things can change!

We were on Coco Cay Friday with Symphony of the Seas and we had ZERO breeze! It was 97 degrees and hot! The water was like a lake.

There were two NCL ships anchored off their island.

Cheers! 

4470AA78-836B-490F-BE25-C69A631A6348.jpeg

AC5A37CB-6ED0-4906-85C0-02CDE37FDD44.jpeg

145F5543-F7BE-419D-A68F-B46A438606E3.jpeg

Nice pictures. It looks like you were on the angle of the hump cabins like us? We were in 10590. Due to the hump I couldn't get a straight shot to the island and the long line of people when they were being evacuated.

20 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Remember skipping Coco Cay a couple of times in winter months due to high wind / seas.  Once they suspended return tendering for hours until sea calmed down.  Can be scary.

Missed many visits in past over last 25yrs. Knew even with Pier would be days they'd cancel from High Winds/Waves

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Glad you enjoyed them. The second video took almost 40 minutes to load using voom. It was crazy slow and I timed it. I never thought it would take that long. I don't know if it had anything to do with me using my phone or if voom is just like that.

Captain did announce early on that people would get full refunds.

Refunds of their excursions/water park/cabana etc?  Of course. Who would expect anything different. Why  would passengers think that  there would not be a refund of their Coco Cay expenses? 

Your photos and videos were great. Thanks for posting. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

18 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

In 2000, we were at the port in Greece that takes you to Olympia, it was a beautiful fall day when we departed the Celebrity Millenium and took the bus to the beautiful ruins of the former Olympic park.  While we were in the museum, a fellow passenger decided to die. I remember looking at this lady in her 60s looking very thin and pale standing by the entrance to the museum, while I was looking at the miniaturized Olympia showing where the different sites were, before hearing a thud.  She collapsed, my wife a RN a doctor, whose 35mm camera was taken to the hospital with the lady when the ambulance showed up 30 minutes after the collapse, and an lady who was an EMT along with the doctor and my wife did CPR on her until the ambulance with no significant medical things arrived.  

This was just the start of the excitement.  The weather was balmy in the upper 70s.  When we took the bus back to the port, after stopping at the hospital for the doctor to recover his camera from the ambulance.  We shopped in the shops at the port for trinkets before boarding the ships boats to head back to the Millenium.  A handful of jet fighters (with Greek insignia) flew past us just a 100 feet above us, then we approached the ship.  While the day was lovely it was a bit churned up on the bay, and we circled the ship 4 or 5 times trying on each pass to land on the lee side of the ship.  Finally the crew driving the ship said, we are going in, no matter what.  The tender smacked hard into something  a deck above the landing platform and put a basketball sized hole in the corner of the top of the tender, but the crew did manage to get us tied along side, where we carefully and slowly exited the tender back onto the ship.  

Then when we got back to our dark lower deck inside cabin, knocked on the door of the cabin where my mother and mother-in-law were sharing a cabin, only to find that despite going to the show the night before after late seating, told the cabin steward to go away when he knocked on their door at noon, they thought it was midnight.  Ah, jet lag.  

JC

Decided to die.

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Refunds of their excursions/water park/cabana etc?  Of course. Who would expect anything different. Why  would passengers think that  there would not be a refund of their Coco Cay expenses? 

Your photos and videos were great. Thanks for posting. 

m

I didn't see where anyone thought that.  Did you see otherwise?

9 hours ago, countess5 said:

There were two NCL ships anchored off their island.

Cheers! 

Really OT but I've never been to NCL's island and assume it can't hold a candle to the new CocoCay.  Can it handle two ships?  I was assuming only one ship would visit at a time.

16 minutes ago, dlwolf72 said:

The Coco Cay pier without any railings or a barrier to stop someone from easily go off the side makes walking it dangerous when a storm pops up quickly.

Seems like a good idea but I'm not sure I've ever seen a cruise ship pier with rails