Notes from Zuiderdam Captain Q & A (Nov 2019)

Naismith

First time HAL cruiser, so this may be old news to some.  But we attended the Nov 9, 2019 Q & A session with the captain and found it interesting.

Some questions about goals for the upcoming drydock, and in addition to the usual repairs and recarpeting of stairs etc., he reported:

- renovating the screening room into Microsoft Studio. (The existing Studio room is tiny and was always mobbed so hopefully this is an expansion.)

- change the photo gallery from static print display into interactive stations where photos can be cropped or edited prior to custom printing

- redo the tiles in the Lido restaurant which he said had been a problem since installation a few years ago.  We weren't sure if he meant the tile flooring or the tiles behind the counters.

He noted that he has a 3-month on, 3-months off schedule and that any crew with their own cabin can have family visit, which his does during school holidays.  He said that HAL is trying to standardize contracts in the lower ratings for 8 months rather than 9.

Someone asked about the Thai workers that had joined the crew and the captain said that they were going to continue to recruit Indonesians and Filipinos with some Thai as well. (I wish that they would follow the custom in other lines of putting either the country or flag of origin on nametags so that I can say thank you in the appropriate language.) 

The ship had needed to make a medical evacuation earlier in the cruise which required a non-trivial loop to a port, and someone asked who pays for the fuel for that.  He said the ship covers it, an talked a bit about how much extra fuel they carry for contingencies.  That was interesting because I always assumed the passenger would be charged.  We always buy insurance coverage mostly in case of issues with elderly relatives at home, but also because we are also getting older ourselves and thus at more risk.  I usually look for $250,000 for medical evacuation, but noted that the product sold by HAL only offers $50,000.  I wonder if I am over-insuring?

No news on expanding Lincoln Center Stage, which is always standing room only.  It was also very hot, which I assumed was due to all the people.  But on Friday, 8 November when they were going to sit down for Meet the Artists, a fire alarm went off and everyone had to be evacuated.  They said a belt in the AC system had caught on fire and was replaced by the time I showed up for a concert 30 minutes later, although I had noticed the open wall panels on the way in.  And it was cooler after that.  

Really interesting session and brave of the captain to take any questions.  The staff was effective at making microphones available on both levels.  Yes, of course a few people brought up their personal gripes that really should have been dealt with by guest services, but overall most stuff was of wide interest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for taking the time to write about your Q&A session with the captain.

We always make certain that we have a high coverage insurance for medical evacuation policy.  There are times when you may have to evacuated by helicopter -- HAL doesn't pay for that.  Lots of other expenses can happen as well.

4 hours ago, Naismith said:

I usually look for $250,000 for medical evacuation, but noted that the product sold by HAL only offers $50,000.  I wonder if I am over-insuring?

A helicopter ride to the nearest trauma center - would have been 1 hour by car - cost $ 52 000 for one of my neighbors recently. It's probably cheaper abroad. I have seen 2 ambulances for 2 medial evacuations from Dutch Harbor in the Aleutes, Alaska. Both patients from our ship were then flown out by planes. I bet this medical evacuation cost more than my neighbor's helicopter ride.

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

01-09 Dec in Freeport, the Bahamas

09 - 19 December, I reckon!  

Rotterdam arrives into PE on December 8th after a 15 day Panama Canal journey from San Diego and departs again on December 20th on a 7 day 'Holiday' cruise.

24 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

09 - 19 December, I reckon!  

Rotterdam arrives into PE on December 8th after a 15 day Panama Canal journey from San Diego and departs again on December 20th on a 7 day 'Holiday' cruise.

OOOPS!

Sorry John, for some reason I thought I was still on the Rotterdam Dry Dock thread, but it seems I was on the Zuiderdam thread.

You are correct (of course!) ZDM is due to dry dock on 1st December 2019.

(note to self - must pay more attention in class!)

Thank you  for  this thread, OP, but it begs  the question, Who was the  Captain about which we re speaking/ reading  ?    If you don't mind, it would be helpful to name the Captain . 

Edited by sail7seas

Medical evacuation will run into the six figures. 

We had to turn back and head back to Galveston.  I think they only went far enough to get within range of a helicopter, because I was surprised to see us in Cozumel on time.

Since it was night, I think the captain went top speed after the sick passenger was picked up.  On our one and only bridge tour on the Legend of the Seas, they spoke about it being the fastest ship in the fleet in 2014, top speed was 25 knots.  Those catamarans in Ketchikan can do 32 knots, but then forget trying to walk around.

33 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Thank you  for  this thread, OP, but it begs  the question, Who was the  Captain about which we re speaking/ reading  ?    If you don't mind, it would be helpful to name the Captain . 

Captain Oebele "Wouter" van Hoogdalem was scheduled

HAL Captain Wouter van Hoogdalem.jpg

On 11/17/2019 at 11:21 AM, ski ww said:

The Q&A sessions are interesting, until as you mentioned people bring up petty, personnel  beefs. Thanks for posting. 

The beefs are typically petty and boorish as you say Alan, but I have gotten a kick out of some of the responses I've heard various captains give which are often accompanied by applause and no little laughter.

On 11/17/2019 at 11:31 AM, sail7seas said:

Oops, sorry, it was indeed Captain van Hoogdalem.  (We don't really notice the captain so it didn't click, but I checked the trip report they gave us.)  BTW, his family is coming for 2 weeks over the Christmas/New Years holidays.

Edited by Naismith

Captain van Hoogdalem was Master of the Zuiderdam two years ago on our cruise in the Baltic Sea. I was very impressed with his people skills and accessibility. Most port calls he was pier side when we left for the day and many times when we returned!