Has anyone seen pricing for the new BBQ food? Or; Do we finally accept new pricing model?

LMaxwell

If you want BBQ you can now get it on Royal for $12-15 per person for lunch, plus 18%. 

Kids meals (Chicken fingers) are now for a charge plus gratuity.  

Even iced tea is no longer free; sad but true 

I would not be surprised to see some overlap of items be quietly removed from complimentary venues also.  

This is absurd and laughable.  But it might just be the final straw; may need to accept this is the model RC and others are moving to.  At this point in the year I should have 4-6 cruises on the books between various lines for 2020 and so far only have 1.  Realistic, jaded, pragmatic? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, garnetpalmetto said:

No, OP is referring to the new Portside BBQ venue on Oasis.

ahhh, thanks. We'll never sail on oasis class ships anyway, too many people!

Edited by johnjen

4 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Paying for iced tea????

A copy of their menu has been circulating with a $2.50 charge for iced tea (which includes refills) - the only assumption I can make here is that it's different from the usual iced tea RCI serves (similar to the difference between the complementary orange juice from concentrate and the fresh-squeezed orange juice that has a separate charge).

Edited by garnetpalmetto
  • Like 1

If it's anything like the "BBQ" on Labadee, I wouldn't pay a penny for it.

We have 7 RCCL cruises booked, none on Oasis class.  Yet another reason not to miss them, they just keep adding extra's we wouldn't use anyway.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 6

Chisel chisel chisel.  

It didn't take long for people to postulate that things with a charge as being a premium version.  

You think it's a premium chicken finger or premium mac and cheese for the kids? 

You think the cookie they charge $3 for now is any different than the ones long available in the WJ and MDR?  

A couple years back Royal went from a standard 5 course dinner to a 3 course dinner, and then cut down the options significantly overall.  In my opinion they will continue to cut what is included and find ways to charge for things that for years have been included in the cruise fare.  Your cruises will not get cheaper.  Your spend per day will become higher to get what you have always gotten under the guise of it being a "new experience"  

I think the experience may be moving too far away from what makes me comfortable on a vacation which is to get on the ship and STOP being pitched things or looking at dollar signs.  Weekend cruises are on the radar for sure given my proximity to the port, but other types of vacations for 7 days or longer are looking more and more enticing as cruising loses the appeal of being an inclusive vacation. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Its really quite simple.  If you don't like it don't book Royal.  Whining and complaining isn't going to change things.

Thought we could have a discussion on a discussion forum; especially about how the mass market industry is changing.  Want to participate? 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

I think its ridiculous. I understand a small cover charge to limit crowds, but this is just nickel and diming.  I'm shocked they haven't started charging for El Loco Fresh. 

Give it time. Once they get everybody interested in it, and being accustomed to it being free, they'll had a charge "to enhance our cruise experience".

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Thought we could have a discussion on a discussion forum; especially about how the mass market industry is changing.  Want to participate? 

Yes things are changing but unless people actually stop booking then the cruise lines are going to continue down the same path.  There really are only 2 options, either accept it and continue to cruise or make a statement with your wallet and don't book.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Its really quite simple.  If you don't like it don't book Royal.  Whining and complaining isn't going to change things.

Being snarky is not nice. People are just giving their opinions of this thread.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes things are changing but unless people actually stop booking then the cruise lines are going to continue down the same path.  There really are only 2 options, either accept it and continue to cruise or make a statement with your wallet and don't book.

Agree.

As much as I like BBQ there is no way I would pay $12-15 for it on a cruise when there are other great options included in the cruise fare.

However,  $13 for one mixed drink?  No problem!   That’s kind of tongue-in-cheek because I think Royals drink prices are ludicrous also.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This looks just like Izumi but with BBQ instead of Asian.  How is that so evil?

And I'm not sure why the suggestion of just not booking is so rude.  It's a proposed solution, and until the pocketbooks of the shareholders start seeing a reaction, nothing is going to change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Interesting; I think it is past that point.  

They want revenue per pax.  They don't care if its a first timer or 500th timer.  

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sorry Max, but this is just another chicken little post.  You are quoting the dinner price, and calling it lunch.  🤣

I'll comment when you get your facts straight😉

If that's not the lunch price, show it.  Those are prices given to me and advertised as lunch.  They do have late night bites starting at $8 per person. 

• Haha 1