Caribbean - can I pack the same as SE Asia?

Hoyaheel

I am going on a 2 week Caribbean cruise for the holidays this year. Definitely not my choice (I'm NOT a beach person and do not like sun or heat). But I will have fun no matter what I do, no worries. But I haven't been to the Caribbean since we did a sailing charter in 2013. And that's a VERY different sort of packing/trip 😉

We just did 3 weeks in SE Asia (Vietnam and Cambodia) in August. Can I basically pack the same? With maybe an additional swimsuit? River cruise & land portion of Asia trip were very casual, but I always bring dresses (comfy knit options for that trip). For the Caribbean, we'll be on Oceania, so no formal nights.....Will still bring (probably comfy knit 😉 dresses.....

Hi there :)  I've done a whopping total of one Caribbean cruise so I hear you....  not really into sand & bugs, but I still had fun.

I'd pack for heat & humidity so what you're describing sounds perfect.   If your knit dresses are a lightweight knit, you'll be fine....  if they are a more heavy weight, I'd brink something lighter.   Basically I lived in linen shorts w/tanks & tees & sundresses.   

Definitely need at least two swimsuits & coverups.

Nice thing about Carib was that there were a few ports where I walked off for about 20 minutes in the morning, decided it was not my cup of tea, & then spent the entire day lying on chaise in the shade binge reading :)

Enjoy!

Have not done Caribbean (yet) but sailed FLL to PC to Mex.Riviera. Gauze [tops] and linen [culottes] were my friends! 

I don't remember what I wore on our (land-based) SE-Asia tours. I remember we had to do hotel-laundry because things got sweat-through quickly, though! So if you were comfortable there, that would be the starting point for planning your Carib. wardrobe.

weatherspark.com has some very interesting historical averages including ranges of "comfort level". From dry-comfortable-humid-muggy-oppressive-to-miserable. You can compare where you are going to where you've been, by looking back and forth.

On 11/19/2019 at 1:29 PM, Hoyaheel said:

I am going on a 2 week Caribbean cruise for the holidays this year. Definitely not my choice (I'm NOT a beach person and do not like sun or heat). But I will have fun no matter what I do, no worries. But I haven't been to the Caribbean since we did a sailing charter in 2013. And that's a VERY different sort of packing/trip 😉

We just did 3 weeks in SE Asia (Vietnam and Cambodia) in August. Can I basically pack the same? With maybe an additional swimsuit? River cruise & land portion of Asia trip were very casual, but I always bring dresses (comfy knit options for that trip). For the Caribbean, we'll be on Oceania, so no formal nights.....Will still bring (probably comfy knit 😉 dresses.....

I am going on a 9 day Eastern (Carnival) and 12 day Southern Caribbean (Viking) cruise next year.  I will likely pack the same as I think I would pack for SE Asia (never been, but have friends who live there):

2 swimsuits (so one can dry)

2 rash guards (not a big sun fan but love being in the water)

capris and light top - possibly long sleeve for active excursions (kayak, hiking, etc)

knit maxi skirts and tops (your knit dresses would work) for onboard relaxing and evening

2-3 exercise outfits for the gym/running track

Hope you have a great trip, even if the itinerary isn't your choice 🙂 

• Like 1

We mostly sail Caribbean (& used to live in SE Asia). Climates are very similar. Heat & humidity. Sun is quite intense. A big hat is primary for me. Clothing needs are basically the same. I’d recommend a pashmina or two as they really crank the ac up in common areas. What islands are you going to?  The shopping is quite nice on several of the islands

• Like 1

I missed this thread..….I have been to the Caribbean more times than I can count over the years...…….

Though I have not sailed Oceania. I do know they don't have formal nights (you knew that).

I normally wear nicer slacks and tops for dinner. But as for comparing it to SE ASIA? I have

never sailed there so can't give a comparison.  I would say the Caribbean is warm all year

round---swimsuits/capris/shorts/t's for the daytime. And a cover up and make sure you bring

sunscreen.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:50 PM, crystalspin said:

weatherspark.com has some very interesting historical averages including ranges of "comfort level". From dry-comfortable-humid-muggy-oppressive-to-miserable. You can compare where you are going to where you've been, by looking back and forth.

Excellent resource. Thanks.

On 11/21/2019 at 9:54 AM, awhfy said:

What islands are you going to?  The shopping is quite nice on several of the islands

I have to look again - we haven't really made many plans ;-) This was originally a Cuba cruise, which is why my in-laws booked it, but now.....

My MIL hates sea days (which we love) so I think it does 12 islands in 14 days or something nuts like that. Starts in Key West, heads south. ABCs, Grenada (where I've wanted to visit for AGES!), Barbados (we've been to that one), St. Lucia, St Barts. I'm eating conch in Key West, we're renting a golf cart to drive around Bonaire, and doing a self-guided architectural walking tour in Curacao....

So far sounds like my SEAsia packing list will be pretty on point, so that's a relief. Thanks for the input!!

What a nice itinerary:classic_smile:....a lot of port days....I would stay on board a couple of those days.....Its like having

your own private yacht because so many people go ashore.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Since I'm not going to lay out on a beach and I don't snorkel (and husband says he doesn't want to this trip) it is very likely we will get off, walk around, then get back on the ship at many of the ports. I do need to see what I want to do in Grenada as that's a place I have actually wanted to visit.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...