How Formal do you go for formal night?

SimplyMarvie

10 hours ago, clo said:

Where does one get these? I've seen the quart and gallon ones

I picked mine up at Walmart, but have also seen the lesser brands at Dollar Tree and Dollarama.  The size is roughly 11"wide by 15" long.  They fit perfectly in a 15" carry-on, leaving enough room in the suitcase for your other necessities as well.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂 🙂🙂

On 11/30/2019 at 9:18 AM, EDiamond22 said:

I used to go full suit always, been it seems less and less are even dressing up at all; not complaining just saying.
this was last year, dressed it down a little will probably do something very similar on my RCCL next month.

e&e.jpg

Very nice.  I think this actually fits evening dress/elegant/chic (obviously not technically formal or black tie/white tie) better than many full suits do.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Very nice.  I think this actually fits evening dress/elegant/chic (obviously not technically formal or black tie/white tie) better than many full suits do.

i agreed, i figured since its not strict its a good chance to add my own flare/style rather than the tradition black tie tux. appreciate the feedback 🙂 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the cruise line, the length of the voyage, the time of year & the port of departure. 

We can drive to the port for our 14 day cruise over NYE.  DH will be in a tux.  I'm still vacillating between floor length & a fully beaded shorter dress.  Both will probably end up in the suitcase (no weight restrictions because we are driving).  Even though it's NCL it's been our experience the New Year's Eve cruise is dressy.  I've always worn sequins but the length varies.  

When we fly, I opt for a lighter material.  I have done everything from the basic LBD to the more complicated cocktail dress.  I did feel underdressed in a short sequined number on Princess about 7 years ago.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We used to do the long gown /tuxedo or fancy cocktail dress/ suit thing, but as dress codes and customs have relaxed we go a little more simply now. DH usually does a dress shirt and tie and I do an LBD or simple black top and pants with blingy jewelry or pearls and comfortable strappy black or metallic sandals. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2020 at 3:26 PM, lindsay0526 said:

DH will wear at least slacks, a button down and tie, or slacks, button down, jacket.

When I read this - the slacks, button down and tie, I thought huh. I did a little searching and this was pretty much unanimous in various wordings.

Is it okay to wear a tie without a jacket?
The short answer is a firm, 'no'. The simplest reason is that it's highly likely that any occasion that calls for a tie is going to call for a jacket too. And the opposite – for any occasion that doesn't call for a jacket, it's doubtful you'll be breaking any style rules or dress codes by losing the tie as well.

16 minutes ago, clo said:

When I read this - the slacks, button down and tie, I thought huh. I did a little searching and this was pretty much unanimous in various wordings.

The short answer is a firm, 'no'. The simplest reason is that it's highly likely that any occasion that calls for a tie is going to call for a jacket too. And the opposite – for any occasion that doesn't call for a jacket, it's doubtful you'll be breaking any style rules or dress codes by losing the tie as well.

Yeah, my fashionista DH wouldn't wear a tie without a jacket unless he took the jacket off because he became too hot.  That's right, I said it, my guy gets hot😋 remember Valentine's Day just happened😍

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2020 at 7:08 PM, clo said:

I know many people who break this "rule." Customs can vary by location, age, etc.

At my son's school young men are required to wear ties on chapel days and to concerts, with no requirement for a jacket.

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I know many people who break this "rule." Customs can vary by location, age, etc.

At my son's school young men are required to wear ties on chapel days and to concerts, with no requirement for a jacket.

I went to catholic schools a million years ago so I understand what you're saying. But we're talking about adult men on formal nights.

Your quote was about general men's fashion, not cruise specific.   DH often needs to wear a tie to work if he is having off-site meetings, but no jacket is required/requested by corporate dress code.  Many men at my church still wear ties on Sunday, but no coat.

Cruise specific: my almost 6' tall teen (almost adult male) still wouldn't wear a jacket on formal night - although would probably wear a vest; DH will wear a tie for elegant/formal evenings but we aren't packing a jacket (his preference for the tie).

Can I just say all of you who have posted photos look fantastic and clearly have great taste? I especially love the colorful, patterned dresses.

For Caribbean cruises I do up my makeup and hair but choose colorful maxi dresses and sundresses mostly. For other cruises I have worn a formal gown or if it is warm on the ship I have black palazzo pants with a shimmery silver tank top and a black jacket with silvery cut outs that is more comfortable while still looking quite formal.

My spouse had a grey suit for a couple of our cruises but just wears slacks and dress shirt with tie on our Caribbean cruises. We are usually in line with most of the MDR.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My latest evening jacket.  Just got it from Ebay yesterday, and no alterations needed. Picture doesn't do it justice:  it's got tiny black sparkly bling down the front.  I'll wear it with black pants and a nice blouse:

Black blingy georgette.jpg

Edited by pcur
  • Like 3

One cruise, I took a black knee-length skirt and 7 different tops that worked well with the skirt. Black heels and I was set.  I looked different every dinner because people don't look at you below your waist.  Men get away with this with wearing navy slacks and changing out shirts and ties, if needed.  I might do something like this for my next cruise, depending on how much room we have in our luggage.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 7:08 PM, clo said:

I loathe the look of an adult man wearing a tie with no jacket. It always reminds me of sleazy used car salesman or what a little boy under 10 would wear. If a grown man has on a tie, then he should have the jacket to go with it. If you want to forgo one then ditch the tie and keep the jacket. 

Edited by nolatravelgirl
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, nolatravelgirl said:

I loathe the look of an adult man wearing a tie with no jacket. It always reminds me of sleazy used car salesman or what a little boy under 10 would wear. If a grown man has on a tie, then he should have the jacket to go with it. If you want to forgo one then ditch the tie and keep the jacket. 

I somewhat agree for a short sleeve shirt and tie with no jacket, but long sleeve shirt and tie with no jacket doesn't bother me - probably because it is so standard in my area.

• 2 weeks later...