Seasickness meds provided on ship?

Cruiselover828

I use Bonine.  It works well without the drowsiness.  Meclizine, Dramamine, Benadryl all have side effects for me.  

When I first started cruising, the "pursers' counter" provided meclizine.  I haven't notice them handing them out anymore.

And how do you know it's going to get rough????   You will start seeing white bags taped around the ship.

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I use Bonine.  It works well without the drowsiness.  Meclizine, Dramamine, Benadryl all have side effects for me.  

Bonine is Meclizine.  This is taken directly from the Bonine FAQ page:

What makes Bonine® different?

A: The active ingredient in Bonine® is Meclizine, which helps treat nausea and vomiting associated with motion sickness, without drowsiness.

I don't leave home without it - and make sure to purchase extra at our pre-cruise port to take home with me, as we can't get it in Canada any longer.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

And how do you know it's going to get rough????   You will start seeing white bags taped around the ship.

And hand lines strung through the common areas.

And crew members will be lashing furniture to the floor.

When I saw the wine being removed from cabinets and laid in cases on the floor I knew it was time to take the bonine, make sure my breakable stuff was on the cabin floor, and hang on.

I was on the Lindblad Explorer near Baffin Island, and we were going through the remnants of a hurricane. It was a wild ride.

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I just spoke to a friend who was on a cruise last week.He said that people were sucking lemons to combat nausea.I never heard of that before.

Ginger and green apples (both of which I do not like).  

I've never been in terribly rough seas (lashing furniture down, moving wine bottles, etc).  That must have been an interesting cruise.

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I just spoke to a friend who was on a cruise last week.He said that people were sucking lemons to combat nausea.I never heard of that before.

I heard that from my father who said he heard it while he was in the Navy (WWII).  He said the old hands would try to get the new guys to wear a lemon around their necks on a string.   😀

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

I heard that from my father who said he heard it while he was in the Navy (WWII).  He said the old hands would try to get the new guys to wear a lemon around their necks on a string.   😀

Today I asked several neighbors who cruise a lot.One said that he and his wife never take anything and they never get sick.Another said his wife takes crystallized ginger .

I am going to try the ginger.

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Today I asked several neighbors who cruise a lot.One said that he and his wife never take anything and they never get sick.Another said his wife takes crystallized ginger .

I thought you said ginger caused upset when you took it.

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I'm fortunate that I don't suffer from motion sickness.  Consequently, I can't really be much help with advice about mal de mer. 

1 minute ago, mom says said:

I thought you said ginger caused upset when you took it.

I said that Ginger capsules which I began taking 3 days prior to the cruise caused me to have stomach cramps.I eat uncrystalized ginger very day .I will try the crystallized ginger for the cruise.

On 11/24/2019 at 8:18 AM, ger_77 said:

Bonine is Meclizine.  This is taken directly from the Bonine FAQ page:

What makes Bonine® different?

A: The active ingredient in Bonine® is Meclizine, which helps treat nausea and vomiting associated with motion sickness, without drowsiness.

I don't leave home without it - and make sure to purchase extra at our pre-cruise port to take home with me, as we can't get it in Canada any longer.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Thanks for the comment, Our next cruise leaves from Vancouver, I will get some next time I am in thenUS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Without getting drowsy ??

When I take one Bonine tablet I fall asleep at the dinner table and later at the show.

Fortunately drowsiness is not a common side effect for most users. Especially if taken at bed time. Most people I know (and myself) have no problems in that regard, even when drinking alcohol. Since the OP has stated that this med works for her, I think we can assume she knows how she reacts to it.

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

Fortunately drowsiness is not a common side effect for most users. Especially if taken at bed time. Most people I know (and myself) have no problems in that regard, even when drinking alcohol. Since the OP has stated that this med works for her, I think we can assume she knows how she reacts to it.

Drowsiness not a common side effect especially if taken at bedtime.  Huh?   😀😀😀

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Drowsiness not a common side effect especially if taken at bedtime.  Huh?   😀😀😀

Meclizine, when taken as a preventative, need only be taken once a day. If you find it makes you a bit drowsy, taking it at bedtime usually means you will be alert during the day- any drowsiness should have worn off. Does that make more sense?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mom says said:

Wonderful for her,that is great.I was merely advising how it affects me.

I am just glad you are not my mom