Carnival vs Royal Caribbean

8 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Celebrity maybe not RCL

RCL is better.  Which is why they can command higher fares and fill their ships.  It's really not a controversial thing.  You pay more, get more.

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

RCL is better.  Which is why they can command higher fares and fill their ships.  It's really not a controversial thing.  You pay more, get more.

I agree that RCI is a better product than Carnival, and Celebrity is a better product than both Princess and HAL.  In no way, shape or form do I mean that as a knock against Carnival though.  My last 3 cruises have been on Carnival Corp products.  

Kinda like hotels.  I think Embassy Suites is a better product than Homewood Suites, but I would still book a Homewood Suites in a heartbeat.  Just, all things being equal, I would normally pick the ES first.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

I don't think that they give more compared to what you get versus Carnival. I might pony up a couple hundred more for a Royal cruise but that's about it (and then only if it's on one of their newer ships). This is of course a value judgment.

13 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't think that they give more compared to what you get versus Carnival. I might pony up a couple hundred more for a Royal cruise but that's about it (and then only if it's on one of their newer ships). This is of course a value judgment.

You don't think you get more but you would be willing to pay more...  You wouldn't pay more if it weren't a better product.  Nothing wrong with Carnival, but Royal just has a better product with their newest ships for most people and a generally higher price accordingly.

52 minutes ago, BNBR said:

You don't think you get more but you would be willing to pay more...  You wouldn't pay more if it weren't a better product.  Nothing wrong with Carnival, but Royal just has a better product with their newest ships for most people and a generally higher price accordingly.

I said "might" and it depends on a lot of factors😉.

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

so since NCL generally cost more than RCI it must be better than RCI. Which begs the question why are you slumming it on RCI?

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

18 minutes ago, Theosprey247 said:

so since NCL generally cost more than RCI it must be better than RCI. Which begs the question why are you slumming it on RCI?

I don't think NCL generally does cost more than RCI.  And it's not my fault you didn't comprehend my comment, either.  I said it's odd to say a product isn't better but you are willing to pay more for it.

I do think Royal has more to offer and nicer ships, but if the additional things they are offering aren't important to the enjoyment of your cruise then it doesn't make it better cruise.  It just makes it a more expensive cruise.

If someone loves theater shows and wants to cruise on the line that offers the best shows, then it would be worth it to that person to pay more.  If another person has no interest in seeing the best theater shows during their cruise, then there is no sense paying additional money for something they don't look for in a cruise.  Some people cruise for the ports.  Some for fancy ships.  Some are happy with a few things on a ship and will not have a better cruise by paying more money for things that aren't important to them.

Personally, I have been to enough amusement parks to last a lifetime, so finding a ship with awesome water slides, rope courses, and rides isn't worth paying for.  Same for theater shows.  I have seen some great shows on land and sea, but that's not important to me when I cruise.  Extra perks only make a better cruise if that is what the cruiser is looking for.  Better is subjective based on the wants of each person.

As an example, to me personally, I think Carnival offers a better cruise because I have seen as many as four different comedy shows in one night.  Also, they have four comedians throughout the cruise who often have multiple different shows.  To someone who dislikes comedy shows, that means nothing.  But to me, it makes it a better cruise.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Except drinks and internet minutes at Diamond level, since I don’t use laundry services. But I’m Diamond (although you only need 80 points, compared to 200 on Carnival) on both and will continue to sail both, depending on itinerary.

And I don’t  do comedy shows, so that’s a moot point for me, but that is a big plus for Carnival cruisers.

PS...and as a solo traveler, I like the double points on Royal.

Edited by crzndeb

2 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

Compare CC list to any reputable travel magazine and you’ll see...Remember a few years ago NCL was being listed as the best then poof! It’s all RCI now.

Lol I will bite (and I read them all) due tell

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I do think Royal has more to offer and nicer ships, but if the additional things they are offering aren't important to the enjoyment of your cruise then it doesn't make it better cruise.  It just makes it a more expensive cruise.

If someone loves theater shows and wants to cruise on the line that offers the best shows, then it would be worth it to that person to pay more.  If another person has no interest in seeing the best theater shows during their cruise, then there is no sense paying additional money for something they don't look for in a cruise.  Some people cruise for the ports.  Some for fancy ships.  Some are happy with a few things on a ship and will not have a better cruise by paying more money for things that aren't important to them.

Personally, I have been to enough amusement parks to last a lifetime, so finding a ship with awesome water slides, rope courses, and rides isn't worth paying for.  Same for theater shows.  I have seen some great shows on land and sea, but that's not important to me when I cruise.  Extra perks only make a better cruise if that is what the cruiser is looking for.  Better is subjective based on the wants of each person.

As an example, to me personally, I think Carnival offers a better cruise because I have seen as many as four different comedy shows in one night.  Also, they have four comedians throughout the cruise who often have multiple different shows.  To someone who dislikes comedy shows, that means nothing.  But to me, it makes it a better cruise.

Well thought out post.  Obviously a very subjective topic, despite what a few here “believe”.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well thought out post.  Obviously a very subjective topic, despite what a few here “believe”.  

I think it's difficult for some people to believe that other people actually enjoy things or find value in things that they don't.  Not everyone prefers the same things.  Better to one person is not the same as better to another.  Disney World could be on a cruise ship and I would still prefer to relax and see comedy shows.

• Like 3

I cruise Carnival simply because they have ships in ports I can drive to.

If RCCI put a ship year-round in Norfolk (the closest port to me), I'd probably cruise them a few times.

My wife and I do not like flying - it makes the cruise vacation too expensive for us to consider them. We'd just as soon fly to an all inclusive in Jamaica or something if flying were our only option.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BNBR said:

I don't think NCL generally does cost more than RCI.  And it's not my fault you didn't comprehend my comment, either.  I said it's odd to say a product isn't better but you are willing to pay more for it.

I also didn't say that the product isn't better, I don't think it's that much better than Carnival for the things we are looking for. I feel about Royal what you feel about Guy's burger- what's all the hype about?😉

11 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Except drinks and internet minutes at Diamond level, since I don’t use laundry services. But I’m Diamond (although you only need 80 points, compared to 200 on Carnival) on both and will continue to sail both, depending on itinerary.

And I don’t  do comedy shows, so that’s a moot point for me, but that is a big plus for Carnival cruisers.

PS...and as a solo traveler, I like the double points on Royal.

I am not high enough on any loyalty level to receive anything of note and we don't choose our sailings based on what we might get at any particular level so for us it's not a selling point.

12 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

The never ending discussion on why your choices are "better".

By this logic, Royal can add more rock climbing, more restaurants, more slides, charge more and make it even BETTER than Carnival

Having a discussion about what is objectively a better product is not the same as a discussion about personal preference.  We often prefer a lesser product for various personal reasons, but we still recognize it's a lesser product, objectively.

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

Having a discussion about what is objectively a better product is not the same as a discussion about personal preference.  We often prefer a lesser product for various personal reasons, but we still recognize it's a lesser product, objectively.

And that in and of itself is a very subjective answer.  Look, you have made it clear that you will lower yourself to sail on Carnival if the price is right.  I can honestly say I think everyone here knows your SUBJECTIVE views.  The question is do you need us to agree? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

And that in and of itself is a very subjective answer.  Look, you have made it clear that you will lower yourself to sail on Carnival if the price is right.  I can honestly say I think everyone here knows your SUBJECTIVE views.  The question is do you need us to agree? 

I haven't asked you to agree.  I'm just participating in a discussion about it and sharing my views, on a discussion forum.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:30 AM, BNBR said:

lol Carnival always fills their ships? Royal isn’t always higher either. When you just speak out of thin air it is easy to refute 

7 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

lol Carnival always fills their ships? Royal isn’t always higher either. When you just speak out of thin air it is easy to refute 

When we booked our cruise on Anthem it came in at $1880 and Carnival was $2200 for Pride out of Baltimore, so no, Royal isn't always higher (nor is Carnival always less). 

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1