Carnival Magic - LIVE - Dec 1-6 - FLL - Nassau, Grand Turk, Amber Cove

Saint Greg

6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Anything else I need to know about the airport? Are they still limiting the size of your shampoo bottles? Do I have to take me shoes off? Pat down? Full body scan? 

I have to have the full body scan and pat down every time, even with TSA precheck, as I tend to set of alarms with my “fake” knees. I have bilateral TKRs. I show them my cards concerning my knees as I enter security, but I still have to have the full scan and pat down. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I think the packing is going start tomorrow night. I am encouraged that my judgement of suitcase weight is way off. According to the doohickey my suitcase is only 14 lbs right now and it already has some things in it.

When I was preparing for last cruise, I weighed my personal products bag just to see how much weight that takes in my suitcase. It was 9lbs! And it was just my products, not any of my husband’s! And then there was all my OTC medications, for just in case. Add in another 2lbs. It adds up fast! 

1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

When I was preparing for last cruise, I weighed my personal products bag just to see how much weight that takes in my suitcase. It was 9lbs! And it was just my products, not any of my husband’s! And then there was all my OTC medications, for just in case. Add in another 2lbs. It adds up fast! 

I was thinking I could save weight by putting heavy things like my big bottle antibacterial hand soap in the carryon but now I’m thinking I can’t do that with TSA.

25 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I was thinking I could save weight by putting heavy things like my big bottle antibacterial hand soap in the carryon but now I’m thinking I can’t do that with TSA.

That’s right. I use to carry all my personal products in a carry on, and haven’t been able to in several years. And travel size products just don’t cut it! 

10 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

That’s right. I use to carry all my personal products in a carry on, and haven’t been able to in several years. And travel size products just don’t cut it! 

It looks like I could walk to a Kmart from my hotel. I may explore that option. It depends on how crossable I-95 is. I haven’t been able to get a good picture because of all the darn palm trees.

Also thinking about trying this Las Vegas Cuban Cuisine when I arrive. It’s practically across the street and looks to have good reviews.

23650FB2-0443-4964-BBDB-A4E99DEC12E4.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg

35 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

It looks like I could walk to a Kmart from my hotel. I may explore that option. It depends on how crossable I-95 is. I haven’t been able to get a good picture because of all the darn palm trees.

Also thinking about trying this Las Vegas Cuban Cuisine when I arrive. It’s practically across the street and looks to have good reviews.

Might be worth seeing if an Uber ride to a store is cheaper than the overweight bag fee if getting to Kmart isn't walkable. I pretty much just pack the very few specific brands that are must haves then buy the rest when I get there. Mostly I just haul the good conditioner and the deodorant scent I like. Everything else I can make do with what's available. At the end of the trip I just abandon what's left over. 

Re:the $7 bottle of water. You can't take a full bottle of water through TSA but you can take an empty bottle through and fill it at a water fountain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennVT said:

Might be worth seeing if an Uber ride to a store is cheaper than the overweight bag fee if getting to Kmart isn't walkable. I pretty much just pack the very few specific brands that are must haves then buy the rest when I get there. Mostly I just haul the good conditioner and the deodorant scent I like. Everything else I can make do with what's available. At the end of the trip I just abandon what's left over. 

Re:the $7 bottle of water. You can't take a full bottle of water through TSA but you can take an empty bottle through and fill it at a water fountain. 

Fortunately I"m not female so a lot of that doesn't matter to me. I'm not picky about shampoo. I can do with or without conditioner. I could probably use the ship body wash if I had to but I do prefer this soap I have that's imported from Ireland. It's called Irish Spring. I don't use hairspray, hair gel, or spray deodorant. I wonder how they feel about tooth paste, shaving cream, stick deodorant and the hair stuff that comes in like a shoe polish can. Those would be things I would be looking to bring or buy while I'm there. The big one for me is going to be my hand soap. I need a lot of it. And cleaning supplies. I can do the wipes but if I'm going to a store there I'd love to bring a big spray bottle.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

23650FB2-0443-4964-BBDB-A4E99DEC12E4.jpeg

I don’t think I’d attempt crossing I95. Take an Uber if you must go. I stayed in the Brickel area, and there were places to easily walk to. That looks too risky. 😬 Keep safe. You have a cruise waiting for you. You know I’m a retired RN. One year, one of our Drs dropped his family off at airport, went to park car, and was hit by a bus on his way back to airport. He did not make that trip. Nor any trip ever again. Be safe, Greg. Pack your personal products or take an Uber if it looks like an area you cannot cross.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Fortunately I"m not female so a lot of that doesn't matter to me. I'm not picky about shampoo. I can do with or without conditioner. I could probably use the ship body wash if I had to but I do prefer this soap I have that's imported from Ireland. It's called Irish Spring. I don't use hairspray, hair gel, or spray deodorant. I wonder how they feel about tooth paste, shaving cream, stick deodorant and the hair stuff that comes in like a shoe polish can. Those would be things I would be looking to bring or buy while I'm there. The big one for me is going to be my hand soap. I need a lot of it. And cleaning supplies. I can do the wipes but if I'm going to a store there I'd love to bring a big spray bottle.

You can have in your carry on a quart size ziplock bag with liquid or gel items in 3.4 oz or less containers. Bar soap shouldn't count towards that so don't bother to put it in your ziplock. For me "gel" is a vague descriptor so when in doubt I check it or make sure it is in the ziplock. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

Sounds like the hand soap and cleaning supplies are better purchased there. 

Isn't air travel fun?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

The deodorant and hair stuff should be okay. Plan on buying the rest at K-mart and save the hassle. 

You'll probably want to wear a pair of throw away socks to the airport. The shoes do come off at security. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I don’t think I’d attempt crossing I95. Take an Uber if you must go. I stayed in the Brickel area, and there were places to easily walk to. That looks too risky. 😬 Keep safe. You have a cruise waiting for you. You know I’m a retired RN. One year, one of our Drs dropped his family off at airport, went to park car, and was hit by a bus on his way back to airport. He did not make that trip. Nor any trip ever again. Be safe, Greg. Pack your personal products or take an Uber if it looks like an area you cannot cross.

It doesn't look bad. It's an overpass. There are sidewalks and crosswalks.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Las+Vegas+Cuban+Cuisine/@26.0481708,-80.1630972,247m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m15!1m9!3m8!1s0x88d9aa4784864b45:0x7355bc0a0a80a85e!2sCambria+Hotel+Ft+Lauderdale,+Airport+South+%26+Cruise+Port!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d26.050335!4d-80.164526!3m4!1s0x88d9aa47dfeddedd:0x25bb7afbfed8baab!8m2!3d26.0476628!4d-80.1637468

18 minutes ago, JennVT said:

You can have in your carry on a quart size ziplock bag with liquid or gel items in 3.4 oz or less containers. Bar soap shouldn't count towards that so don't bother to put it in your ziplock. For me "gel" is a vague descriptor so when in doubt I check it or make sure it is in the ziplock. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

Sounds like the hand soap and cleaning supplies are better purchased there. 

Isn't air travel fun?

It's coming back to me. I remember the ziplock bag last time I flew. I was only going for like 3 or 4 days though.

1 minute ago, grandmarnnurse said:

👍

My mistake. I thought you were in Miami. I’m sure you will be fine. In Ft Lauderdale I usually stay on 17th St by the port. There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance there, along with a Walgreens for all those last minute needs. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

My mistake. I thought you were in Miami. I’m sure you will be fine. In Ft Lauderdale I usually stay on 17th St by the port. There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance there, along with a Walgreens for all those last minute needs. 

Miami I'll be doing next summer. This one I went for primarily because of the airport and port shuttles it offers.

12 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Only your first marathon? Well I guess it’s never too late to start. I’m not that excited about the flying part.

I’m running my second this Sunday. Then taking the rest of December off. Rough life!!
You’ll be fine flying. Better itineraries almost require it these days!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I’m running my second this Sunday. Then taking the rest of December off. Rough life!!
You’ll be fine flying. Better itineraries almost require it these days!

The way I see it being able to fly without having to buy four plane tickets is one of the advantages of a solo cruiser. Finally something in my favor!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

OK, so I just checked out the menu and now I wanna go!!!! Everything looks good and the prices are just the way I like them.....cheap! I hope you get to check this place out.....with pictures of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blarko said:

OK, so I just checked out the menu and now I wanna go!!!! Everything looks good and the prices are just the way I like them.....cheap! I hope you get to check this place out.....with pictures of course.

I was just looking at the menu and reading reviews myself. It looks like a winner and is definitely in my plans.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Just do a couple of bins with quart bags with all your stuff in it-I have had 3 bins and no problems. Just do bag and something, bag and jacket, etc. and you will be fine. Take empty water bottle.

• Like 1

As I mentioned I’ve been traveling with a 30 inch suitcase and a 19 inch backpack. There are things in both of them I know I’m not going to use. I bet I have fun times from my  last 5 cruises in my suitcase.

I bring things like an umbrella and a jacket. I think I’ve used each of them once when it was raining on a Port day..several years ago. 

I bring a lot of just in case things. Just in case I decide I want to go to the gym everyday of the cruise, I’ve been bringing clothes for that. And the only time I’ve been to the gym was to get a fitness class schedule for one of you.

Since I’m flying this time, I decided to go to a

smaller suitcase and a smaller backpack. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to go down to a 21 or 25 inch suitcase. I started pricing them about six months back. But when I found this 21 incher on clearance for $48 when I’ve seen similar suitcases $70-75, my decision was made.

21113EB8-E06C-408A-BD92-C5035547D6EC.jpeg

1CC4B98F-D042-4552-AC4C-30BD4F2E27DD.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg

Now for the 19 inch backpack. I don’t think it’s going to fit under the seat in front of me. I picked that one so it would fit my 19 inch laptop. I still like having the big laptop if I’m staying in a hotel and have a big desk, but I haven’t been using it on cruises. I’ve been bringing a tablet for a couple cruises now. That’s all I really need. 

So I start looking around and sometimes on amazon you’ll find items that are cheaper in certain colors. One of the backpacks I was looking at is $60 in charcoal and only $25 in Olive. I look at Best Buy and find the olive color for $60. I decide...olive works for me.

17B5D0C3-0186-4BFA-87C7-77E71DC52F32.jpeg

• Like 3

I needed something to weigh my suitcase. Sometimes Amazon has these digital coupons where you put something in your cart, click a coupon checkbox, and boom you get the discount. This doohickey was $10 with a $3 discount in the cart so I got it for $7. Digital ones were $10 but then you have to worry about batteries and all that. 

1F20BDDE-AD99-4502-BC84-3A6288331921.jpeg