reducing standing time during muster drill for 83 year old

kathy884

Hi, We are delighted to be traveling with my dad (83) who has limited mobility on the Harmony early February.  He'll be getting assistance on the ship.  I'm bringing a transport chair for our getting off the ship to make a flight at 11:50 a.m. (doing the self assist method to get off the boat).  His preference while on board is to walk to everything, just resting when he needs to.  He is staying in one of the hump ocean view balconies and really likes sitting out. 

I am wondering, though, about the muster drill and if there is anything  you would recommend that we can do to make that more comfortable for him.  He is ok walking slowly, but standing in one place for more than a very short period of time doesn't work well for him.  Should I bring the transport chair to the muster drill perhaps so he has some place to sit?  I appreciate any and all suggestions.  I remember cruising with him on the NCL Escape three years ago and the muster drill for him and standing involved was really uncomfortable for him, and I'd like if possible to have an improved experience on this next cruise.  I am totally new to RCCL too.

Edited by kathy884

yes bring the chair, or  go to the  Special Needs Muster station( typically the Theater) 

if you go the latter route, make sure the cabin number /name is  noted.   we notice that almost every time its handwritten as opposed to using the   portable electronics doohickey and  then you get a  nasty gram in your cabin a  day later  yelling at you for missing muster.  

• Like 1

Most stations are inside with seating, although it maybe limited. Let the crew know when you get there  and they will take care of him. I have the same problem, so I know from personal experience.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 1

Head down about 30 minutes prior and elevators and seating should be wide open.  Will take a while to get elevator after the drill, though.  Many aft stations are in the aquatheater, with wheelchair seating at the top.  Many forward stations are in the theater.  

• Like 1

Take a look  at his muster location once on board.  It may be an area with plenty of seating.    Many of the muster stations are in the promenade and passengers are expected to stand, BUT -  they have a few  chairs for those who need one.  

enjoy the crusie

M

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Contact Special Needs before the cruise.  They need to know about his limited mobility in case of an emergency and will assign him a special needs muster station. 

that doesn't always happen. We have contacted Special Needs the last few cruise as my DW has mobility issues. She has never been assigned to a special muster station.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

that doesn't always happen. We have contacted Special Needs the last few cruise as my DW has mobility issues. She has never been assigned to a special muster station.

That’s unfortunate.  If they don’t offer it, you can usually fix it on the ship. 

• Like 1

Simply let the crew know before the muster drill and they will accommodate your dad.

They will make sure he gets a seat...somewhere.

Note: We are on the Freedom now and injured my back before our cruise.  It is painful for me to walk and stand.  During the muster drill, they allowed us to use the elevator going down (you usually have to walk down the stairs) from deck 9 to deck 4.  The crew had passengers with disability, sit inside Bolero's.  Then just before the end of the muster, we were all dispatched a bit early so we could all use the elevators back up to our cabins.

• Like 1

Sailed Harmony last week.  Muster station was on deck 5 by Guest Services.  I had scooter and cousin had wheel chair.  There were many chairs from the nearby restaurant/bar being dragged for people to sit on but most people were standing.  Drill was a total waste of time as you could not see or hear anything.  I felt sorry for first time cruisers as they would not have a clue of what to do in the event of an emergency.  The absolute worst Muster I have attended in 37 cruises.  I normally ask and attend Muster in handicap area but decided to go to assigned station.  Felt like a sardine in a can on Harmony.

• Like 1

Our experience on Enchantment last year was slightly different. I was traveling with my SO who has some back issues which are not apparent to the untrained eye. When we arrived at our Muster Station, we said nothing. When we checked in, a crew member walked up to us and asked us to come with him. He took us to an interior lounge where we could get a seat. I am guessing that because of my SO’s  obvious advanced age, they automatically take older folks there. No guarantee that is what happened. However, 90% of the people in that lounge were older or had obvious disabilities. 

• Like 1

Our muster station on the Allure was in the aqua theatre …  lots of seating … but in the searing heat of the afternoon sun.

Get there early like we did and get a seat at the top in the shade .

Hardly anyone was sitting in the sun. 

They were mostly standing behind us in the shade .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Most stations are inside with seating, although it maybe limited. Let the crew know when you get there  and they will take care of him. I have the same problem, so I know from personal experience.

Should you notify the ship before boarding that you have difficulty standing for long period of time (there is always a group who arrives 15 minutes late while the rest stand waiting.    I have only been to outside musters and thought that there was an indoor location for those who needed it.
!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

This has to happen on the ship, but they are always very good about it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, squadron said:

Should you notify the ship before boarding that you have difficulty standing for long period of time (there is always a group who arrives 15 minutes late while the rest stand waiting.    I have only been to outside musters and thought that there was an indoor location for those who needed it.
!)

I never did. Just went to the muster station and told the crew, they scanned my card then sent me inside.  I now use a rollater  so sometimes I would still stay outside, but they would send me in early so I would  not get stuck in the mass coming in. Either  way works    fine. I was last on Allure and the station was in the royal promenade, and that had limited  seating. Other times I was in Studio B, (ice rink)  and we sat at the top level.  Nonetheless, the crew was always great with whatever  I needed.      

• Like 1

Agree with all the tips.  I've experienced a range of options on my RCL cruises since I retired.  On my 1st solo cruise after retirement, I ran into some other older passengers on my way to my outside muster station.  They suggested that I check in & then join them in an inside air conditioned lounge.  It turned out great - they were frequent FL cruisers and had the system locked down.  I checked in with my outdoor muster station, explained it would be hard for me to stand outside for an extended period, and was told to joined that inside muster group of retirees. 

On other cruises (especially on the big ships), I've had my muster station inside.  It's definitely a good idea to get there very early to ensure that you can get a seat and avoid crowds.  I also hang out for awhile in whatever lounge I find myself planted in after the muster drill, to let the stampedes clear.  (I was on a Celebrity Alaskan cruise once with my elderly Dad who was literally knocked over by other passengers in their rush to the elevators after the drill. It was complete chaos.)  You can also stop by the Pursar's Desk after boarding to inquire if they would offer any special accomodations  or want to assign your family to a particular muster station in view of his needs. 

• Like 1