Coffee Maker

imsailin

From the Princess FAQ's prohibited items list:

Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.

58 minutes ago, imsailin said:

Does anyone know if you can bring a one cup coffee maker to your cabin? I was thinking of buying one for our next cruise. Thanking you in advance for any information.

As you've probably seen, you cannot take any electrical appliances such as a coffee maker but you can still order coffee for free from room service.  I understand the convenience of having a coffee maker in your cabin ... it's just not allowed.   l  If you prefer your own coffee, you can always order a pitcher of hot water from room service (ask them for a thermal pitcher) and take your own coffee and french press.  

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

As you've probably seen, you cannot take any electrical appliances such as a coffee maker but you can still order coffee for free from room service.  I understand the convenience of having a coffee maker in your cabin ... it's just not allowed.   l  If you prefer your own coffee, you can always order a pitcher of hot water from room service (ask them for a thermal pitcher) and take your own coffee and french press.  

That’s actually a great idea!  I’m considering doing that.  The buffet coffee is terrible.  I’ve longed for a solution.  Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, Andrew J. Cat said:

That’s actually a great idea!  I’m considering doing that.  The buffet coffee is terrible.  I’ve longed for a solution.  Thanks for sharing!

I agree... it is awful coffee.  It comes from syrup concentrate (unless you are on a Royal class ship) ... not sure how they make it taste like a dirty ashtray.  I make it a point to get a cup from the IC if I want a decent cup.  I have found that the Starbucks Via isn't horrible ... at least not as bad as the coffee they serve at the buffet.  My brother actually found a coffee mug that has a built in french press.  It's actually makes pretty good coffee and not so fragile like the glass ones.  

81LNJSySfnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, skynight said:

If you decide on a French Press make certain you bring along some baggies for disposal of the used grounds. Do not wash the grounds down the sink, toilet or shower. Can cause plumbing issues for your cabin and those around you.

I hope you are not talking from personal experience of doing this! LOL

As for the buffet, I thought they were still using a syrup.

2 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

We were on Regal Princess, and they had what looked like actual coffee grounds on top of the machines.  I had to go 50/50 coffee/water, and drink it while it was scalding hot in order for it to be bearable.  (I know.....first world problem!)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

16 minutes ago, Andrew J. Cat said:

We were on Regal Princess, and they had what looked like actual coffee grounds on top of the machines.  I had to go 50/50 coffee/water, and drink it while it was scalding hot in order for it to be bearable.  (I know.....first world problem!)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

Yes Royal Regal Sky have fresh ground coffee machines both in the aft outside buffet area and inside at the drink stations.

There are also powder reservoir hot chocolate machines the too .

See photos in the Sky live thread.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I agree... it is awful coffee.  It comes from syrup concentrate (unless you are on a Royal class ship) ... not sure how they make it taste like a dirty ashtray.

Some of the finest restaurants serve coffee made from syrup concentrate.

The concentrate can be bought in various quality choices (just like coffee on the grocery store shelves), and it is possible that Princess is not purchasing the highest quality syrup concentrate available.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Some of the finest restaurants serve coffee made from syrup concentrate.

The concentrate can be bought in various quality choices (just like coffee on the grocery store shelves), and it is possible that Princess is not purchasing the highest quality syrup concentrate available.

Looking forward to better coffee on the Sky! Whenever DH and I get a really bad cup of coffee somewhere, we always say, "It tastes like cruise coffee!" 

Janet

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

Royal class ships use a machine that prepares coffee from grounds. The grounds are in a dispenser at the top. The grounds are dropped into a brewing container inside the machine and hot water is forced through the grounds. I suppose similar to  K Cup. I was told by a crew member that the grounds are a less expensive blend, probably arabica/robusta blend, than that used in the International Cafe which is arabica.

Other ships use a liquid concentrate which is mixed with hot water at the tap. This is a common way coffee is prepared in restaurants. Problem is that Princess selects a lower quality concentrate from a range of different qualities.

Regarding the grounds, it is not from personal experience. The advice comes from Chang a cruise line merchant seaman officer that frequently posts on these boards.

1 hour ago, lois1112 said:

I was aboard the Sapphire recently (out of Southhampton) and there was a coffee maker in the room

Yes, from reading here this is the only Princess ship and port that has this feature. Understand that the coffee makers were removed when it left Southampton home port for the far east.

9 hours ago, lois1112 said:

I was aboard the Sapphire recently (out of Southhampton) and there was a coffee maker in the room

It's not a coffee maker. It's a kettle. When Sapphire Princess sails out of Southampton there is a kettle in each cabin. It makes hot water. There are tea bags and yes, there are some packets of instant coffee powder. It's not a "coffee maker". The coffee powder makes incredibly nasty coffee. Being able to make hot water to brew tea was greatly appreciated by my wife but one try of the instant coffee was more than enough. She dumped it down the sink. It made the coffee in the buffet seem gourmet...

• Haha 2