River Cruise line with the Windstar experience?

milepig

This might seen like an odd post, but as a multi-year Windstar fan (even though I'm not ashamed to point out things when they drop the ball) we're looking at possible river cruises, and my ideal would be something in the same niche as Windstar - in terms of, well, everything - typical traveler, great staff, good food, laid back. Not stuffy.

Any comments on which river cruise line a Windstar loyalist would love?

2 hours ago, Second seating said:

I find Uniworld comparable to Windstar in service and food, minus the over the top decor!  They have the best bedding on any ship I have ever been on and when there are problems with river levels, locks breaking, etc. they handle it really well!!!!

Second seating

Thanks for the comments. Glad to hear most of it. It does sound like there is a single seating at a set time for dinner, which I don't like, but at least it isn't (as far as I can telll) assigned seats for the entire trip. The "over the top decor" is exactly what I'm trying to avoid - if i had my druthers every swag in the world would be vaporized. Nice clean modern look for us.

7 hours ago, milepig said:

Thanks for the comments. Glad to hear most of it. It does sound like there is a single seating at a set time for dinner, which I don't like, but at least it isn't (as far as I can telll) assigned seats for the entire trip. The "over the top decor" is exactly what I'm trying to avoid - if i had my druthers every swag in the world would be vaporized. Nice clean modern look for us.

I'm not aware of any river cruise ship that has assigned tables at meals.  Uniworld's decor is indeed over the top [the best description I've heard is that 'it appeared that Marie Antoinette had exploded in our bedroom'!]  I haven't sailed Windstar [until next summer], but I have sailed Azamara and Crystal – and I recommend AmaWaterways river cruises.  Set time for dinner but open seating – and happy hour free drinks in the hour preceding dinner [along with free flowing wine and beer at meals].  AMA also has a very robust schedule of included shore excursions – always several choices each day and often timed so you can do one in the morning, one in the afternoon, and sometimes one after dinner [on the Rhône cruise we went to a boulangerie after dinner and 'helped' make the next morning's baguettes - what a hoot!]

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm not aware of any river cruise ship that has assigned tables at meals.  Uniworld's decor is indeed over the top [the best description I've heard is that 'it appeared that Marie Antoinette had exploded in our bedroom'!]  I haven't sailed Windstar [until next summer], but I have sailed Azamara and Crystal – and I recommend AmaWaterways river cruises.  Set time for dinner but open seating – and happy hour free drinks in the hour preceding dinner [along with free flowing wine and beer at meals].  AMA also has a very robust schedule of included shore excursions – always several choices each day and often timed so you can do one in the morning, one in the afternoon, and sometimes one after dinner [on the Rhône cruise we went to a boulangerie after dinner and 'helped' make the next morning's baguettes - what a hoot!]

LOL. But yes, an exploding Versailles is exactly one of my concerns. 

I agree with Jazzbeau.  We have been on 4 Windstar cruises and 3 river cruises on AmaWaterways.  I think you would be pleased.  They have 3 levels of shore excursions, active, regular and gentle, so you can choose which one fits your style.  I would say the cruisers are very similar to Windstar.

I’ve been on three Windstar cruises and five Viking river cruises. I’ve researched all the river cruise lines and have found them to be comparable in routes and service.  I’ve been tempted to try other river cruise lines, however price always draws me back to Viking. I’ve found that amenities that other river cruise lines offer can be had on Viking for an additional cost that usually ends up to be less than the fare for the other lines. I want to emphasize that this is an extremely subjective viewpoint based on my experience, and I am open to trying other cruise lines if we were joining friends or a particular wine club on the cruise. (As an aside, Viking decor is Scandinavian and rather understated.) Overall, river cruising Involves a limited number of passengers, usually 200 or less, and in this regard is quite similar to Windstar. Viking spoiled me for the small ship experience and Windstar complements that experience quite nicely.

I agree that most river cruises are generally similar, but the devil is in the details.  Most new river ships are 443ft long and 38ft wide [the limit of the locks on the rivers].  Viking puts 190 passengers on, AMA only 156, Uniworld about the same as AMA, Crystal only 106.  Cabin sizes and especially the size of public spaces are directly impacted by the number of passengers that have to be fit into the same total space.  As to price:  individual sailings may have special sale prices, but in general Crystal is the most expensive and Viking is the least, with the other two in the middle.  IMHO a clear case of 'you get what you pay for.'

One other similarity between Windstar and AMA:  just as Windstar has the James Beard Foundation link, AMA is a member of the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:04 PM, milepig said:

This might seen like an odd post, but as a multi-year Windstar fan (even though I'm not ashamed to point out things when they drop the ball) we're looking at possible river cruises, and my ideal would be something in the same niche as Windstar - in terms of, well, everything - typical traveler, great staff, good food, laid back. Not stuffy.

Any comments on which river cruise line a Windstar loyalist would love?

As an update received a quote from Scenic yesterday for a 27 day Zurich to Amsterdam cruise and land tour in Switzerland.  "All Inclusive". Expensive but billed as first class and again, all Inclusive.  We almost made the reservation then asked for list of hotels on land portion. 3 to 4 star at best. Then read a notice about the laundry. They do it one time in 27 days during the onboard part and on land the hotel will provide at listed hotel rates! That was the deal breaker for me. It's the little things in life and I do not want to travel for a month and worry about how to wash and iron!

2002 I took my father on a Rhine river cruise, this was early days of river cruising. We enjoyed ourselves, it was a lovely way to relax while seeing wonderful sights. I will not mention the name but the food was the worst, the worst and we never got  over it. I have had friends since travel with them, against my recommendation and it seems the  food has not improved. In addition, and the experience of friends,  I think you also have to be aware of water levels with climate change and recently in CC reviews no water turns into the boat becoming a hotel in mud and long bus tours. Read the comments. One company informs passengers when they are on the plane that there are low water levels. A bit late! One of the most elegant ships on the Po can't get beyond the first pier now. I would love to do another river trip but I would  do it in late spring and do some hyper researching.  Another beware is there are so many  river boats when you tie up you tie up against other boats, imagine your view, another room. You have to walk over boats to get to the piers. We did not have this on our  trip because in 2002 there  were  so few boats. The beauty of the river  boats  were you walked onto the dock and you were in the historic centers, now due to so many ships they are building docks outside the city centers. Simply research and research again. Don't assume you will get your river cruise matching the Public TV ads, hint. Happy Sailing

• Like 1

Strenz, please do name the line!

Also I've been looking at river cruises and AMA seems to be hitting on all cylinders, but I'm also wondering about Avalon.  Anyone have comments on them in relation to the Windstar experience and comparing to AMA?

We are not supposed to name names. My hint our PBS station has glorious ads about the line we and friends took over the years and would not go on again. They recently built cruise ships. I simply think with the market so large  now with so many choices you have to really read and research otherwise you could have a boat resting in mud and 

long bus trips. I love Italy and thought about the Po but now no, they can not, for the most part,  go up the Po due to lack of water. Years ago they could go all the way up.

Glad we have the Med, and the Surf! Happy Sailing

4 minutes ago, Strenz said:

We are not supposed to name names. My hint our PBS station has glorious ads about the line we and friends took over the years and would not go on again. They recently built cruise ships. I simply think with the market so large  now with so many choices you have to really read and research otherwise you could have a boat resting in mud and 

long bus trips. I love Italy and thought about the Po but now no, they can not, for the most part,  go up the Po due to lack of water. Years ago they could go all the way up.

Glad we have the Med, and the Surf! Happy Sailing

Not sure what you mean by this.  It's not a Cruise Critic rule.  Did you sign an NDA with the company?

I guess I was mistaken I thought you could not mention other cruise lines on this forum and I never have. No  not an NDA .... very  strange  you would ask. If you are a cruise critic host very odd response. Happy Sailing

9 minutes ago, Strenz said:

I guess I was mistaken I thought you could not mention other cruise lines on this forum and I never have. No  not an NDA .... very  strange  you would ask. If you are a cruise critic host very odd response. Happy Sailing

You can't mention travel agents.  Other cruise lines are mentioned all the time, often for comparative reasons.

51 minutes ago, ridethetide said:

You can't mention travel agents.  Other cruise lines are mentioned all the time, often for comparative reasons.

And often in a very critical light. A post about how terrible an experience was without naming the line is just waste of time spent composing and reading.

If you have been reading posts on this site for quite some time you will realize that Strenz is a lovely person who would rather not bash another line publicly.  She has never wasted my time. There was a time when people could converse without nastiness. The message was be careful about river cruises if you are used to sea cruises.  Simply that, nothing else, and trying to be kind. I believe the cruise line is Viking and I have had friends with nightmares about this and other river cruises.  They are a different animal and she was simply trying to say that in as nice a way as possible. 

Thank you sb44. I think you understood my point given the onslaught of river cruises in the past 8-10 years. Weather/river levels, docking and my experience and others with food. Folks,  my point do your research you will be happier and more informed, It was not to bash another company that others might have had a good time on, with beautiful ads by the way. Start by reading CC reviews and Happy Sailing

3 hours ago, Strenz said:

Thank you sb44. I think you understood my point given the onslaught of river cruises in the past 8-10 years. Weather/river levels, docking and my experience and others with food. Folks,  my point do your research you will be happier and more informed, It was not to bash another company that others might have had a good time on, with beautiful ads by the way. Start by reading CC reviews and Happy Sailing

Yes, weather/river levels and docking are common problems to all river cruise lines.  But you singled out how bad the food was, which is specific to this 'unnamed' cruise line.  Then by hinting around you 'outed' it very well.  You could have more easily just named the name.

We went on one Viking river cruise and two river cruises on Avalon. We considered Avalon a cut above and loved the french balcony with full window/door. But that was several years ago. I suggest you research all of them on cruise critic and their web sites to see which fits your preferences. Most of the web sites will show a picture of the accommodations.

I'm not cut out for river cruising. The one we took was all-inclusive and amazing and I have many wonderful memories of things we did. But when everything is included, I feel like I have to do everything and then I end up exhausted. And with ships rafting off each other, if a generator is running outside your window at 10 so you can't get to sleep after a busy touring day, well, in my case I ended up in tears. Holidays should not be so stress inducing.  

I love sea days. You really don't get sea days on a river cruise. 

Read all about the downsides, the upsides (there are many), consider your personal preferences when on a holiday, and decide for yourselves. 

It was wonderful getting 'inside' a country (the one thing I dislike about sea cruises is we never get more than 100km inland so don't really experience much of any country.) But between the popularity and climate change, one needs to be careful and be prepared to adjust expectations. 

We used was Tauck (who also do land tours and small ship sea cruising now.) They were amazing and I highly recommend them. When things went wrong, they were proactive and responsive to the needs of their guests and did little things (like standing outside a public washroom with the correct coins for the toilets.) I haven't used them again yet, but I hope to. 

Edited by CanadianKate

@CanadianKate This is why I [and most on the River Cruising forum] recommend a 7-day itinerary for a first river cruise.  Most people love river cruising, but if — like you — someone doesn’t, it would be terrible to have over a week still staring you in the face. It’s also a good idea to research itineraries and avoid those with frequent low- water issues. 

I've done river cruises on both Viking and AmaWaterways. Ama was head and shoulders better than Viking, in every way.  The decor, even at Christmas, was very tasteful. The tours were all well done. The food and included beer and wine were fantastic.  Yes, there is a single seating for dinner, but you'll find that on the majority of river cruises. 

One nit to pick about Ama, there is a switch in the bathroom that turns a window from opaque to clear. And that switch is located right next to the towel rack. My friend and I took turns flashing each other unintentionally while drying off after a shower. We know each other very well, so it was just funny. But it's something to be aware of.