Dress code help please

Bornforthis

There are always a few tuxedos that show up on Gala nights - my husband's being one of them.  He enjoys wearing it, and doesn't have many events that require one where we live, so he likes to bring it out on cruises.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

Caribbean Cruise is such a tropical area and the vibes you will see is less tuxedos, 

but you will find some in a blazers.Those times are almost gone except for like Cunard. If you want to wear a tux please go for it!! Men sure look handsome in them. For us my husband wears nice linen pants with a Tommy Bahama dress shirt and loafers. When we travel abroad lugging a blazer or a tux makes no sense for us.

SO ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

Denise😊

10 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Even in the specialty restaurants you will find very, very few men wearing Tuxedos or suits.

On Rotterdam last Oct/Nov, there were 6 Gala Nights on a 32 day cruise.  There were quite a few Tuxedos, many more suits, lots of sport coats. Very few men with more casual dress.  I was late fixed seating, so that might make a difference.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BJzink said:

On Rotterdam last Oct/Nov, there were 6 Gala Nights on a 32 day cruise.  There were quite a few Tuxedos, many more suits, lots of sport coats. Very few men with more casual dress.  I was late fixed seating, so that might make a difference.

We don't do long cruises (yet), usually 10 to 14 days.  We also choose late fixed seating, and see some tuxedos, mostly suits, and not many casual.  But definitely our experience is  that "some tuxedos" is "usually a few tuxedos"

32 minutes ago, BJzink said:

I’ve found the same on longer cruises too - especially if they are doing itineraries in Europe or exotic itineraries.  Only difference is I saw a few tuxedos versus quite a few. 😉 

But OP is doing Caribbean and while I don’t do cruises there often, my experience is that they are often more casual than what we experienced on the longer cruises 😉 

In any case HAL’s dress code makes it easy to adhere to Gala night.  No one is out of place as long as they are dressed to the minimum standard.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I’ve found the same on longer cruises too - especially if they are doing itineraries in Europe or exotic itineraries.  Only difference is I saw a few tuxedos versus quite a few. 😉 

But OP is doing Caribbean and while I don’t do cruises there often, my experience is that they are often more casual than what we experienced on the longer cruises 😉 

In any case HAL’s dress code makes it easy to adhere to Gala night.  No one is out of place as long as they are dressed to the minimum standard.

Well said, especially the last paragraph.  OP indicated cruising in November.  You should be fine with a blazer and nice slacks. 

If doing a Christmas/New Year's cruise, you see more tuxedos and dark suits.  My son loves wearing his tux.  Due to his job, he can only cruise during the holidays, so he makes it festive and wears his tux.  His choice.  We normally drive to Port Everglades, which means we can pack a little heavier.  Were we flying, no way would I take my formal gown, and I doubt that he'd take his tux with all its accoutrements.  He would bring his blazer and some nice dress slacks.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, Bornforthis said:

Just wondering if many men dress in Tuxedo’s for Gala/formal nights.    First time on HAL for four of us.

in the Caribbean next November

I notice you're from Scotland.  I've seen Scottish gentlemen in kilts on gala/formal nights.  Just throwing it out there as another possibility.  😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bornforthis said:

Yes my husband has the full kilt outfit but we find it is too heavy to carry in our luggage allowance.  It is nice to see though

😁😁

I've wondered about that, and you've confirmed what I suspected.  Heavy and bulky to pack.  

On our recent Niuew Amsterdam cruise, I would say that probably 20% were in suits and ties with some tuxes thrown in to that mix.  I took my kilt outfit and wore it both gala nights and I was surprised at the number of positive comments that were made.

They are indeed heavier when you have to consider weight for air travel.  But if you want to take on your cruise, then do it, it would not weigh much more than taking a tux.

Ultimately, wear what you are comfortable in.  As others have said, you just have to dress nice for gala nights these days.  My wife and I just choose to dress up a bit more 😄

Warren

136080596_xmascruise.thumb.jpg.b64184f35bbb7fb9572fee563aa73ec0.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

On our recent Niuew Amsterdam cruise, I would say that probably 20% were in suits and ties with some tuxes thrown in to that mix.  I took my kilt outfit and wore it both gala nights and I was surprised at the number of positive comments that were made.

They are indeed heavier when you have to consider weight for air travel.  But if you want to take on your cruise, then do it, it would not weigh much more than taking a tux.

Ultimately, wear what you are comfortable in.  As others have said, you just have to dress nice for gala nights these days.  My wife and I just choose to dress up a bit more 😄

Warren

136080596_xmascruise.thumb.jpg.b64184f35bbb7fb9572fee563aa73ec0.jpg

What a wonderful photo of both of you..We've never met but I sure  would like to have the  pleasure

Is the plaid you both wear, a 'family plaid'?  It  is really  nice.

Edited by sail7seas

In as much as suits, tuxedos, etc. are not required, I dress comfortably. Some lines call it country club casual or something similar. As many have previously said, some dress up, many don't. 

On the other hand, if it is required, I'll comply. I just won't dress in a suit voluntarily.

What really surprised me on my last HAL cruise (November, 2018), jeans in the dining room. Than is not permitted on most lines I've sailed. 

To each their own I guess. 

22 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Wow, fabulous photo of you two, love the matching outfits.

22 hours ago, Crusinsusan2 said:

Simply stunning you two! So lovely to see and inspiring to us make more of an effort for our upcoming.     

15 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Love a man in a kilt!

Thank you all for the kind words!!

We don't get dressed up at home very much, so cruise gala/formal nights are our opportunity to get fancy !

Warren