New Years Day Peas

Hawgman11

Cruise Lines have been doing New Years Day Cruises for decades.  How do they assist Southerners in eating their Black Eyed Peas on New Years Day?  I assume they provide them some way.  Otherwise I may have to take a kitchen tour and show these ship chefs how to do it.

Thanks for any assistance.

J. R.

Bring a bag in your luggage.

Explain your tradition to the Maitre d and ask if he could accommodate.

Not really that uncommon a dish and although they may not have collards they probably can come up with some greens (kale) and I am sure some salty pork stuff can easily be found in their larder.

Have Prosperous New Year and a great cruise... 

44 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, you probably won't find this on the menu. And bringing your own won't work as they won't cook it for you.

For the OP, Bush’s Blackeyed Peas are ok cold. 

Just put them in a ziplock bag and keep in the fridge till New Years Day. 

Bacon is pork, so save some from breakfast and like another poster said, the galley can cook some greens, especially if you ask during the previous dinner. Probably some pork, for that matter! That leaves rice and that’s easy. 

May your Hoppin’ John bring you a great year!

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gerif said:

If you don’t mind eating them cold you can bring a can, preferably with a pull tab lid. 

It's some sort of tradition were the peas/beans really are plump meaning getting bigger , the greens or kale is the greenback ie money ,pork is the pig pushing forward as it digs for food and corn bread is gold . Not about eatin a cold can of pea's . Tryed to google and i cant find it only the Hippty Hop band 😄

They most likely wouldn't serve my traditional pork/kraut/ mashed potatoes either.  DH was a southerner thus I had to learn to cook the peas, ham, greens and cornbread.  Guess traditions are out of favor in today's world.

I'm a Texan by birth and we always ate black eyed peas on New Years Day growing up, for good luck.  Now, I rarely have them as I'm the only one who likes them.  In fact, I love black eyed peas, especially fresh ones, but those I can't get in stores here in VA, even in the summer.  So, I settle for canned because dry take a while to cook.  And, they need bacon in them of course.

12 hours ago, BND said:

I'm a Texan by birth and we always ate black eyed peas on New Years Day growing up, for good luck.  Now, I rarely have them as I'm the only one who likes them.  In fact, I love black eyed peas, especially fresh ones, but those I can't get in stores here in VA, even in the summer.  So, I settle for canned because dry take a while to cook.  And, they need bacon in them of course.

BACON?  REALLY????

It should be a smoked ham hock.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:15 AM, Tulsacoker said:

I've had them on Jan 1st some years and not on others. Never made a difference on my luck 😄 

We ate them once on New Years Day.  We had horrible events happen that year.  Maybe, because we are not from the South so it backfired?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t particularly like black eye peas or greens but you must eat them on New Years Day!   Eating them will insure prosperity in the coming year.   My family even cooks a dime in the peas and whoever gets the dime will get be the richest in the coming year.   Seems to me that it would be in Royal Caribbean best interest to serve black eye peas and greens on New Year’s Day.    Richer passengers will take more cruises!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 9:24 AM, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, you probably won't find this on the menu. And bringing your own won't work as they won't cook it for you.

Really...?  Very common all over the world esp. Africa and the Caribbean. 

Can't hurt to ask. bring a few bags I bet some of the crew would love them.....

And even bacon might do in a pinch, but since they always carve hams there would be plenty of bean worthy bone with a dash of smoke...

Edited by boscobeans