Did they fix Nieuw Amsterdam's azipod or is she sailing with one operational?

MisterBill99

Wind and now rain is really not helping. I think they have pulled off and are circling for the moment. God bless the Coast Guard... that must be a tough job.

Edit: They are presently now hovering off port side aft right above our balcony. Absolutely amazing. 

I'll post the video when we get home. 

IMG_20200109_155546002.jpg

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

To clarify, if you rebook by Jan 24, does that mean a cruise departing Jan 24 or sooner, or is that a decision deadline? So you would get a replacement cruise in the same stateroom category plus FCC? Sounds generous.

If you cancel, you get your money back but less FCC. So HAL is trying to motivate people to find a cruise they can fit into the time frame and their schedule. 

It is my understanding that Jan 24 is the deadline to make a decision to rebook or cancel. Fortunately I was able to get booked onto the Zuiderdam leaving the same day. I need an accessible cabin, so it is nothing short of a miracle that one was available. 

1 hour ago, 510picker said:

It is my understanding that Jan 24 is the deadline to make a decision to rebook or cancel. Fortunately I was able to get booked onto the Zuiderdam leaving the same day. I need an accessible cabin, so it is nothing short of a miracle that one was available. 

Wow, that's lucky! Those cabins usually book up early. I love Zuiderdam. Not as big at NA, and no Tamarind, but the Vistas are my favorite HAL ships. I hope your replacement cruise is great!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 510picker said:

I see the zuiderdam cruise leaving on Feb 2, not Feb 1...?

12 hours ago, kochleffel said:

IMG_20200109_160415552_MP.jpg

11 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

All closed up and moving out. Great job USCG!!

Rainbow in the distance too. 

IMG_20200109_162147405.jpg

Thank you both for the great pics and keeping us informed on the evacuation.

It is appreciated and we wish the passenger involved all the best and hope for a quick recovery for them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Wow, that's lucky! Those cabins usually book up early. I love Zuiderdam. Not as big at NA, and no Tamarind, but the Vistas are my favorite HAL ships. I hope your replacement cruise is great!

Thank you! The Zuiderdam is the only Vista ship we have not sailed on. We've enjoyed cruising on the other three and look forward to this one too. We chose the NA cruise because of the itinerary. We cruised on the Nieuw Statendam in November and it had the exact itinerary of the Zuiderdam. We've been to most all of the Caribbean stops before so it's not that big of a deal. I'm limited to what I can do on the islands due to my wheelchair. I always say the ship is my vacation destination and anything we do on the islands is just a bonus.

• Like 1

AFAIK the Nieuw Amsterdam is still going to tender passengers ashore at HMC this morning, albeit two hours late. However, all excursions there are off because high winds (27 mph a short time ago) are keeping guides from getting to HMC from other islands. Most passengers don't book any excursions on HMC but, not being a beach person, I had booked two.

IMG_20200110_091720071~2.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
Add pic

10 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Tendering at HMC now cancelled because of two-meter swells that are only expected to increase.

Thanks for the update.  I’m sure people are disappointed but the weather...ugh. Better to be safe rather than trying to tender and then be unable to get back to the ship.  

This cruise has been cursed.  Bad weather, an earthquake in PR, a medical evacuation, and now 60 mph winds and the ship listing (the captain said 1 degree but it feels like more).  Very rough..I don't know if it would be better with 2 azipods or not.  Will be happy to be back in Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow.  Glad we have the drink plan.

Edited by TysonB
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TysonB said:

This cruise has been cursed.  Bad weather, an earthquake in PR, a medical evacuation, and now 60 mph winds and the ship listing (the captain said 1 degree but it feels like more).  Very rough..I don't know if it would be better with 2 azipods or not.  Will be happy to be back in Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow.  Glad we have the drink plan.

Sorry it's been cursed for you....I hope the curse is gone by February 15!  Drinks always help! 😉  Just a question for you...are there deck chairs on the 10th deck?  Wondering where we might find a quiet spot to relax.  our cabin is on 10.  

Edited by ktbraun

37 minutes ago, ktbraun said:

Sorry it's been cursed for you....I hope the curse is gone by February 15!  Drinks always help! 😉  Just a question for you...are there deck chairs on the 10th deck?  Wondering where we might find a quiet spot to relax.  our cabin is on 10.  

I don't know.  We really didn't explore the 10th floor.

• Thanks 1