Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

4 hours ago, Shayna1900 said:

They say the fires will be going on into April. I’m trying to be optimistic as the weather ap shows a good amount of rain in Sydney on the 16-18 of January. 

May I ask who is saying the fires will be going into April? There may well be parts of the present fires still burning but only in remote areas. April is Autumn here and the weather particularly in the southern part of the country will overall be much cooler than now and hopefully there will be decent falls of rain by then so it quite unlikely there will be major fires then.

I replied to your post about the Grampians in Post 320.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

43 minutes ago, possum52 said:

May I ask who is saying the fires will be going into April? There may well be parts of the present fires still burning but only in remote areas. April is Autumn here and the weather particularly in the southern part of the country will overall be much cooler than now and hopefully there will be decent falls of rain by then so it quite unlikely there will be major fires then.

I replied to your post about the Grampians in Post 320.

Leigh

In the pm press conference last week he said”
Morrison said that the fires will burn for "many, many months ... unlike a flood, where the water will recede, in a fire like this, it goes on and it will continue to go on ... until we can get some decent rain."

Somewhere I read an article about the changes in the ocean currents that might delay the rain and 100ml is required. Hopefully it won’t be many many months and just a few more weeks. I keep seeing good rainfall next week. Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

It will be a cyclone not typhoon you would be on the look out for though by April they are not that common. 

Sorry I actually had cyclone and edited it..should have gone with my first thought. Over here they’re hurricanes. Is there a possibility from now to April? I’ll be there beginning of March.

Edited by Shayna1900

24 minutes ago, Shayna1900 said:

Morrison said that the fires will burn for "many, many months ... unlike a flood, where the water will recede, in a fire like this, it goes on and it will continue to go on ... until we can get some decent rain."

Somewhere I read an article about the changes in the ocean currents that might delay the rain and 100ml is required. Hopefully it won’t be many many months and just a few more weeks. I keep seeing good rainfall next week. Fingers crossed.

I remember that press conference. A couple of points - as I mentioned in my earlier post, it is not impossible that these  fires will be still burning in a few months but would it be in remote spots where it is difficult to get machinery and firefighters into. I think the PM used very emotive language in that press conference and that is what was shown internationally. The monsoons in the northern part of the country have been delayed, but are due now. The rain Victoria, parts of South Australia and Tasmania received yesterday was from what was left of Cyclone Blake which was over north Western Australia a few days ago. 

19 minutes ago, Shayna1900 said:

Sorry I actually had cyclone and edited it..should have gone with my first thought. Over here they’re hurricanes. Is there a possibility from now to April? I’ll be there beginning of March.

There is always the possibility of cyclones right through to April in the northern parts of the country. 

Try not to worry about what the weather will be like when you are holidaying here. What will be will be. 

Leigh

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I remember that press conference. A couple of points - as I mentioned in my earlier post, it is not impossible that these  fires will be still burning in a few months but would it be in remote spots where it is difficult to get machinery and firefighters into. I think the PM used very emotive language in that press conference and that is what was shown internationally. The monsoons in the northern part of the country have been delayed, but are due now. The rain Victoria, parts of South Australia and Tasmania received yesterday was from what was left of Cyclone Blake which was over north Western Australia a few days ago. 

There is always the possibility of cyclones right through to April in the northern parts of the country. 

Try not to worry about what the weather will be like when you are holidaying here. What will be will be. 

Leigh

Que sera sera 😄

We’re having over 50 ml of rain in the middle of winter today ( changing to freezing rain then snow) It’s been a mild winter. We don’t need the rain...wish I could send it over to you 😄

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shayna1900 said:

Que sera sera 😄

We’re having over 50 ml of rain in the middle of winter today ( changing to freezing rain then snow) It’s been a mild winter. We don’t need the rain...wish I could send it over to you 😄

How is this for rainfall. The island of Dum In Mirrie, about 50 kilometres south-west of Darwin, received 562mm in the 24 hours from 9:00am on Friday morning. ABC Report

The weather report indicates rain in NSW starting Thursday. Hurray. 😀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shayna1900 said:

Another source that the fires could continue into March and April is the US State Dept.
Australia Travel Advisory was Increased to Level Two.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/australia-wildfire-update

Advisory:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/australia-travel-advisory.html

11 hours ago, Docker123 said:

The travel advisory is a bit more circumspect than “ Australia is on fire”. You will be fine, probably worse effects of spending too much time in the smoking areas on deck.

Exercise increased caution:

• Tourists should exercise increased caution when considering travel to areas affected by bushfires until the danger of natural disaster has passed. 
  • Authorities may issue evacuation orders to certain areas as conditions warrant. Travelers should follow local evacuation orders. 
  • Smoke is causing poor air quality which can cause increased health problems for travelers with related health conditions. Check the air quality for your destinations and take precautions as needed. Consider postponing your travel plans to areas where air quality is significantly affected by bushfire conditions.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/australia-travel-advisory.html

Seems pretty accurate and fair.

There's a consequence to deprioritising the natural environment, the government has to wear the consequence of its decisions.

9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

There's a consequence to deprioritising the natural environment, the government has to wear the consequence of its decisions.

What is that supposed to mean?

The politicising (either side) of these fires is becoming very tiresome 

• Like 1

I see that warning says it’s been edited - what it says now is fair and accurate 

It would really be a shame if US visitors did not come to Australia as the badly impacted parts are generally not overseas tourist areas (maybe Kangaroo Island might be counted as one) - I guess the smoke which comes and goes in Sydney could be an issue - but there’s literally 5,000,000 people dealing with that when it does happen!

Australia Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2020

Australia - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

EH

Exercise increased caution in Australia due to natural disaster/bushfires. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Exercise increased caution:

• Tourists should exercise increased caution when considering travel to areas affected by bushfires until the danger of natural disaster has passed. 
  • Authorities may issue evacuation orders to certain areas as conditions warrant. Travelers should follow local evacuation orders. 
  • Smoke is causing poor air quality which can cause increased health problems for travelers with related health conditions. Check the air quality for your destinations and take precautions as needed. Consider postponing your travel plans to areas where air quality is significantly affected by bushfire conditions.

State and territory emergency services in Australia provide up-to-date information on bushfires and advice on precautionary measures that can help minimize fire-related risks. U.S. citizens visiting or living in Australia should monitor local television and radio stations, as media reporting may be the best source for breaking news on fire conditions.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Australia:

• Follow the notices and updates of the state or territory emergency services where you are:

Australian Capital Territory

New South Wales

Northern Territory

Queensland

South Australia

Tasmania

Victoria

Western Australia

Last Update: Reissued after review with edits to risk indicators

9 hours ago, Janet987 said:

Another source that the fires could continue into March and April is the US State Dept.
Australia Travel Advisory was Increased to Level Two.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/australia-wildfire-update

Advisory:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/australia-travel-advisory.html

Sorry to say, but I don't think that the US State Department is the most authoritative source on the dangers of the Australian bush fires. The fact that they have issued travel warnings proves this.

The vast majority of Australia is not directly affected by fires and the areas where the fires have been burning are not prime areas for overseas tourists. For instance, the holidaymakers evacuated from Mallacoota would have been from other areas in Victoria, probably mainly Melbourne. I doubt that overseas tourists ever go to Mallacoota, lovely as it is.

• Like 3

My son and his partner live on the Newell Highway in the Pilliga between Coonabarrabran and Narrabri. ATM there is a fire to their north and one to their south. They are about midway between. I am keeping tabs on the situation with this link.

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

By zooming in on the map you can get a great overview of the fire zones and info related to each (by clicking the fire icons).

Edited by lyndarra
typo

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My son and his partner live on the Newell Highway in the Pilliga between Coonabarrabran and Narrabri. ATM there is a fire to their north and one to their south. They are about midway between. I am keeping tabs on the situation with this link.

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

By zooming in on the map you can get a great overview of the fire zones and info related to each (by clicking the fire icons).

The Pilliga is a very bushy area and I imagine a fire would rage through there. I wish your son and his partner all the best and hope everything is OK. 

Although your son and his partner are probably very fond of where they live, it isn't somewhere tourists would go. A small number would travel on the Newell Highway, but they are probably young people who hire a small campervan.

"the areas where the fires have been burning are not prime areas for overseas tourists."  

Our upcoming cruise included a stop in Eden. Cruise ships are now bypassing the port, a photo of the beach after the fires: https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-01-07/eden-far-from-a-paradise-as-australia-bushfires-hit-economy

Kangaroo Island is not a prime tourist area? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Pilliga is a very bushy area and I imagine a fire would rage through there. I wish your son and his partner all the best and hope everything is OK. 

Although your son and his partner are probably very fond of where they live, it isn't somewhere tourists would go. A small number would travel on the Newell Highway, but they are probably young people who hire a small campervan.

You are quite correct in saying many tourists would not be going there but it is a popular highway for travelers.

I posted the link so that international, as well as local, readers of this forum can get a good idea of where the fires are relative to Sydney.

My son has set up a fire defense system for his house which is mud brick built on a concrete slab with iron roof. It has 2 x 25,000 litre water tanks, one of which is kept full and set aside for fire defense only. There is a roof mounted sprinkler system, a high pressure (petrol powered) water pump at each end of the house with fire hoses. Scrub has been cleared with 50m or more radius of the house.

Edited by lyndarra
typo

8 minutes ago, Janet987 said:

"the areas where the fires have been burning are not prime areas for overseas tourists."  

Our upcoming cruise included a stop in Eden. Cruise ships are now bypassing the port, a photo of the beach after the fires: https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-01-07/eden-far-from-a-paradise-as-australia-bushfires-hit-economy

Your right that Eden, Kangaroo Island and Bateman's Bay are visited by cruise ships and so are impacted at the moment. Hopefully the rains will come soon and settle theses fires down.

I read the article and felt sorry for the businesses impacted. Disclaimer I have a friend in Eden that sells linen clothing so I know it will be affecting them. I did think that if the ports are opened later this year maybe this could be a way of helping the people who live there by going and spending money?

I know the area won't be as pristine but it will be cleaned up.

Just random thoughts here as I try to deal with the terrible devastation.

Julie

27 minutes ago, Janet987 said:

Some tourists go to both Eden and Kangaroo Island, but I suggest that they are not prime places for overseas tourists to visit.  

28 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

You are quite correct in saying many tourists would not be going there but it is a popular highway for travelers.

I posted the link so that international, as well as local, readers of this forum can get a good idea of where the fires are relative to Sydney.

My son has set up a fire defense system for his house which is mud brick built on a concrete slab with iron roof. It has 2 x 25,000 litre water tanks, one of which is kept full and set aside for fire defense only. There is a roof mounted sprinkler system, a high pressure (petrol powered) water pump at each end of the house with fire hoses. Scrub has been cleared with 50m or more radius of the house.

It sounds like he really knows what to do and is well-prepared. All the best.