Lost suitcase

Nebr.cruiser

We returned from our Island Princess cruise Dec. 16th.  We had a late disembark time due to our flight time, so were one of the last off the ship.  When we got to the luggage area, my suitcase was there, my husband's was not.  The staff was very helpful in checking by phone with various people and had us wait until the ship was cleared, with all passengers off, in hopes that someone took the wrong bag and there was a bag left.

No bags left, not in crew luggage disembarking, etc.  They sent us on our way after filling out an information sheet and giving instructions as to how to check on the search progress.

At this point not holding out much hope, as it is over a week.  Personnel in the disembarkation area said that probably it was picked up by mistake but that chances were poor that whoever did it would send it back to us (address was on it) due to how much it costs.

We have tried calling several times, finally talked to a real person Saturday.  No information, of course.  After ten days we are supposed to turn in a claim to Princess, but reading the very confusing documentation, not sure they will compensate.  Only hope my be that they find it somewhere on the ship as this next cruise ends.

Does anyone have any experience with this happening, and what the out come was, or ideas as to what we should do or not do next?  

At least they comped us the shuttle to the airport!  And I'm glad it wasn't my bag.:)

We have only had ours lost by the airlines and the bags eventually were located and sent to us. It was really frustrating though while we waited three days for it to finally turn up. 

You mention being concerned about whether Princess will compensate, did you purchase travel insurance? I know the policy through Princess covers lost bagagage. Also, it might be worth looking at whether or not the credit card you booked your trip with provides any sort of coverage for loss of luggage.

I hope the suitcase turns up soon and you don’t have to worry about filing a claim at all. Wishing you good luck! 

42 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

We have only had ours lost by the airlines and the bags eventually were located and sent to us. It was really frustrating though while we waited three days for it to finally turn up. 

You mention being concerned about whether Princess will compensate, did you purchase travel insurance? I know the policy through Princess covers lost bagagage. Also, it might be worth looking at whether or not the credit card you booked your trip with provides any sort of coverage for loss of luggage.

I hope the suitcase turns up soon and you don’t have to worry about filing a claim at all. Wishing you good luck! 

My experience is the same, airline only. 

On our last cruise debarking in LA, we were short one, but I saw it over with the cases that the tags had fallen off of.

Might want to check again and ask if any cases where turned in at the airport in case a baggage handler grab it and it got on a bus to the airport. With no airline tag there, not sure where it would go.

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We returned from our Island Princess cruise Dec. 16th.  We had a late disembark time due to our flight time, so were one of the last off the ship.  When we got to the luggage area, my suitcase was there, my husband's was not.  The staff was very helpful in checking by phone with various people and had us wait until the ship was cleared, with all passengers off, in hopes that someone took the wrong bag and there was a bag left.

No bags left, not in crew luggage disembarking, etc.  They sent us on our way after filling out an information sheet and giving instructions as to how to check on the search progress.

At this point not holding out much hope, as it is over a week.  Personnel in the disembarkation area said that probably it was picked up by mistake but that chances were poor that whoever did it would send it back to us (address was on it) due to how much it costs.

We have tried calling several times, finally talked to a real person Saturday.  No information, of course.  After ten days we are supposed to turn in a claim to Princess, but reading the very confusing documentation, not sure they will compensate.  Only hope my be that they find it somewhere on the ship as this next cruise ends.

Does anyone have any experience with this happening, and what the out come was, or ideas as to what we should do or not do next?  

At least they comped us the shuttle to the airport!  And I'm glad it wasn't my bag.:)

The cruise lines will provide some comp but it is pretty limited ($250) if you do not have insurance.  As someone else mentioned several credit cards also provide lost luggage insurance, if you purchased the cruise using that card.

I would certainly assemble a list of everything that was in the bag, and generate a claim with Princess, as well as look into other possibilities. If nothing else $250 is still better than nothing.

We will definitely check our credit card insurance and with the airport also.  It was mostly clothing in the suitcase--and a few things of mine--and not really expensive stuff, but, it will all add up when replacing.

My husband's meds were in there--he only put them in until pick up, when he was going to transfer them to his carry-on.  Probably the most expensive thing was one of our car openers.

We have gone to purchasing a year-long medical only policy for most trips, unless they are super expensive, because, in most cases, we can afford to lose the trip price (don't want to though!) but not the cost of a truly horrible medical issue.

We've had luggage lost by airlines before, but it always turned up.

I can sympathize with you.  Once my luggage was lost coming back from Italy. It apparently had a two week vacation without me traveling around on Alitalia planes throughout Italy but finally was returned having been rifled through by inspectors and mixed with a friend's luggage contents  whose luggage also went along for the ride.  After that I was concerned about all the cruises I take that I looked into an electronic tracker but decided that it was not worth it.  Many only track in short distances or require a subscription.  So, every time I cruise, I am on edge until I find my luggage.  I am not sure if the technology has improved since then.

Besides not putting anything of great value in the luggage, the only thing I do now is put an additional paper inside the luggage with my address and phone number in case it was taken by mistake or if the luggage tag gets ripped off.  I also make the bag very distinctive by attaching whatever ridiculous colorful stuff I have around on the outside (like Christmas ribbons on the handle) and use a neon green luggage strap. I walk off anything of either sentimental or monetary value. I may also take pictures and keep receipts of more expensive clothing for insurance purposes and to refresh my own memory of what was in the bag.

I do hope your missing suitcase is returned.

Edited by lolane1

Thanks everyone--nearly 10 days now, so it's looking unlikely that it will be found, but it does have to be somewhere.

Once we went to Hawaii but our luggage went to Australia--it caught up with us after about 4 days in Hawaii.

I've been criticized for taking only carry on luggage on a cruise (I'm able to pack pretty light) ... and in no way am I attempting to diminish your pain, but this is exactly the reason I just try to keep my luggage with me at all times.  I wasn't able to do this one time on a longer Alaskan cruise and wouldn't you know it?? ....  When we went to retrieve our luggage, it wasn't in the color # combo area they assigned to us.  Well, they were able to locate it in the wrong section ... kind of a hassle but nothing as awful as what you are going through.  Sure hope you are able to get that piece of luggage back.  

• Like 1

That is why I always plaster my suitcase with Elite stickers. That way none of you peons would dare to touch my luggage.

But seriously, what a pain, hope you get your luggage. We have had some pieces misplaced or delayed before, but never totally lost.

Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Princess once compensated me for lost laundry, but I had to write to Jan Swarz to get it.  i think they will compensate you, too, but it takes perseverance and patience.

probably not, since unlike losing laundry on the ship they state the max coverage for lost luggage and sell insurance for increased coverage.

We really send the OP our best wishes that their missing luggage is located.  Having cruised extensively for over forty years we have never lost a piece of luggage during embarkation or disembarkation and consider ourselves fortunate.  But we have experienced a "near miss" at a major airport in Asia.  We had just gone through the usual Immigration and Passport routine and entered the luggage area to retrieve our luggage.  I quickly found our luggage with the exception of one piece.  By complete luck, DW then saw a man (who had actually been a passenger on our cruise) walking out of the luggage carousel area with our bag...or at least what looked like our bag.  DW immediately caught my attention and I ran after that man and caught up to him as he was leaving the terminal building.  I stopped him and suggested that he had my bag which he immediately denied.  We then both looked at the bag which had my luggage tag and name clearly displayed.  He quickly apologized, but then continued on his way without even looking back or going back inside to look for "his bag."  Draw your own conclusion.

It is hard to stop a luggage thief.  But one can sure minimize the risk of simply mishaps by making sure to put 2 luggage tags on each bag, making sure to do something to make your bag look unique (i.e. luggage straps, bright ribbon, colored tape, etc) etc.  I also like to secure our luggage with simply zip ties (which are very inexpensive and sold at big box stores, auto parts stores, etc).  The zip locks are an easy way that I can tell if anyone has tampered with our luggage.  Unlike luggage locks (which can often be opened and then closed) the zip tie cannot readily be replaced (there are many different sizes and colors).  

One other simple thing.  We do not believe in purchasing expensive luggage.  Thieves tend to target expensive luggage because they assume that more valuable luggage has more valuable contents.  We buy decent luggage (usually Travelpro) but nothing ostentatious like designer stuff.  Consider that a designer bag that cost hundreds of dollars has some value on the "secondary market" while a no-name basic bag is nearly worthless.

Hank

• Like 4

I had one bag go missing and checked everywhere in that color group (orange, I think).  After about half an hour I decided to look in other colors and discovered it in the pink group.  The colors were either way too close or a worker wasn't paying close attention.  Hope it makes its way home. 

Cheers

47 minutes ago, Bemidji Ty said:

I had one bag go missing and checked everywhere in that color group (orange, I think).  After about half an hour I decided to look in other colors and discovered it in the pink group.  The colors were either way too close or a worker wasn't paying close attention.  Hope it makes its way home. 

Cheers

We had a similar situation disembarking in New York.  My bag was there DH's not.  He finally, after all the bags were off loaded, had a luggage area worker walk around with him, and he found it in a completely different color group, with different tags attached.

We had a car service picking us up (along with another couple) and they charged us for waiting.  I contacted Princess support to try to get them to reimburse us (it happened in their hands).  They wouldn't but did give a refundable OBC on a future cruise that more than covered it.

Best of luck OP.

We always do the self disembark I would rather hang out at the airport and get there early or take a car tour around.

If I had to  have my luggage put out I would invest in one of the better trackers.

This would be 25 bucks for the trip

https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-Portable-Personal-Vehicle/dp/B00JG8KCLO/?tag=gearbeacon-20

97bef005-974b-4815-98f9-ddcb75e5464f._CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970__[1].jpg

I appreciate all the advice and input.  We don't have expensive luggage at all; bags were probably around $100, but  are very sturdy and have lasted five years without any significant damage.  They are a medium gray, had distinctive ribbons and identification attached, but were not locked (we never do).  Maybe distinctive straps or as mentioned zip ties are in our future!  They do not look expensive.

Our bags are identical and were put in the hallway at the same time.  We prefer getting off the ship late, when possible and waited until last call.  When we realized his bag was missing, the personnel working the area made every effort to find the bag and had us wait until the ship was cleared--that is, no passengers were left-- and then searched everywhere, even in outgoing crew luggage area.  No extra bag was there, in case someone took ours instead of theirs.

They said that it is possible that someone may have taken it thinking they were taking both pieces of their luggage and didn't realize it until later.  Sounds unlikely to me.  They also said that sometimes luggage taken by mistake just gets left somewhere once the person realizes it because they either don't want to deal with the hassle of returning it to the port or don't want to pay to return it to us.

What's funny is that really there wasn't anything very valuable in the suitcase; dirty clothes, not high end at all, a very old snorkel set that needs replacing, my husband's medications--in a pill box so no one would even know what they are--some used shoes and a hair straightener.  The most valuable thing was a set of our electronic car keys, which would do no one any good.

So if it was stolen, there will be some very disappointed thieves!  

I bought an orange suitcase a few years ago,  Easy to spot at airports, baggage collection off ships and on a land tour in India our guide would ask us as we left a location, check your bag is in the luggage compartment.  Yep mine stood out amongst all those black ones,  love it, almost past its use by date, will have to look around for another distinctive case.

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We really send the OP our best wishes that their missing luggage is located.  Having cruised extensively for over forty years we have never lost a piece of luggage during embarkation or disembarkation and consider ourselves fortunate.  But we have experienced a "near miss" at a major airport in Asia.  We had just gone through the usual Immigration and Passport routine and entered the luggage area to retrieve our luggage.  I quickly found our luggage with the exception of one piece.  By complete luck, DW then saw a man (who had actually been a passenger on our cruise) walking out of the luggage carousel area with our bag...or at least what looked like our bag.  DW immediately caught my attention and I ran after that man and caught up to him as he was leaving the terminal building.  I stopped him and suggested that he had my bag which he immediately denied.  We then both looked at the bag which had my luggage tag and name clearly displayed.  He quickly apologized, but then continued on his way without even looking back or going back inside to look for "his bag."  Draw your own conclusion.

It is hard to stop a luggage thief.  But one can sure minimize the risk of simply mishaps by making sure to put 2 luggage tags on each bag, making sure to do something to make your bag look unique (i.e. luggage straps, bright ribbon, colored tape, etc) etc.  I also like to secure our luggage with simply zip ties (which are very inexpensive and sold at big box stores, auto parts stores, etc).  The zip locks are an easy way that I can tell if anyone has tampered with our luggage.  Unlike luggage locks (which can often be opened and then closed) the zip tie cannot readily be replaced (there are many different sizes and colors).  

One other simple thing.  We do not believe in purchasing expensive luggage.  Thieves tend to target expensive luggage because they assume that more valuable luggage has more valuable contents.  We buy decent luggage (usually Travelpro) but nothing ostentatious like designer stuff.  Consider that a designer bag that cost hundreds of dollars has some value on the "secondary market" while a no-name basic bag is nearly worthless.

Hank

On a night scenic river cruise this happened to my daughter.  We had to leave all larger handbags, backpacks in a certain area.  When she went to get hers it was not there but she saw a man walking down the pier with her bag, she chased him down, he gave some lame excuse but she retrieved her bag and left him with some choice words.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

I bought an orange suitcase a few years ago,  Easy to spot at airports, baggage collection off ships and on a land tour in India our guide would ask us as we left a location, check your bag is in the luggage compartment.  Yep mine stood out amongst all those black ones,  love it, almost past its use by date, will have to look around for another distinctive case.

I have a pink flowered one .... never seen another one like it so, I'm sure it wouldn't be taken by mistake.  I have a gray Samsonite that someone tried to claim as his on a shuttle bus once.  I'm like, no no no ... check out the Snoopy ribbon on the handle.  I think he was trying to get away with something, actually.  It was pretty identifiable with that ribbon tied around the handle.  It was staring him right in the face.  

On 12/25/2019 at 11:27 AM, RMMariner said:

That is why I always plaster my suitcase with Elite stickers. That way none of you peons would dare to touch my luggage.

But seriously, what a pain, hope you get your luggage. We have had some pieces misplaced or delayed before, but never totally lost.

Good luck.

that was YOU!!!  LOL   I should have taken your picture 😂

• Like 1