How boring is (Sky) Princess?

Nemanoxer

4 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

@AF-1

Yeah, as I mentioned before, I loved NCL only for the entertainment and relaxed vibe, nothing much else.

Also as mentioned best cruise I ever had was on Equinox where there was hardly any ballyhoo or sports / kids stuff going on. 

I just don´t wanna end up in a Cunard-ish environment cause I tried that once, and even though they had the best buffet I ever had had til then, I felt like everyone else was just waiting to... well... not be with us for very much longer...

I rate Princess and Celebrity just about the same. What differences are there? The Sky from everything I have read is the best of Princess. I am booked for Jan 11th. Had to cancel the Dec 1st one due to health. The only problem I have with the Sky is the Liquid Lounge main floor. Chairs. Really! To me that is dumb.

Nemanoxer, clickbait notwithstanding, if you loved Celebrity Equinox you’ll love Princess. The two lines are much more alike than different. On cruises over 7 days, passengers will most likely be of the same generation. We’re also on this sailing; if you go, we’ll share a cocktail.

Edited by richsea
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

As to the age of your fellow passengers (we are seniors) you will find that the length of the cruise and time of the year has more impact then the actual cruise line.  Cruise during spring break or the summer vacation time and there will be plenty of younger cruisers on most 7 day cruises.  Cruise during the school year on a 21+ day cruise and you will likely have a ship full of seniors.  

This is a perfect description.

Also, WRT:

This also happens on Celebrity.  I recall being on the Silhouette in early December when the waiters (2nd floor of the MDR) would have a nightly parade when they drove around in all the "scooters" (that belonged to the passengers).  It was a very long parade.  

Once on Emerald, as I left the dining room, there was a passenger who was quite upset, ranting to the head waiter at the door

that someone had stolen his scooter.   It was like a parking lot, so I can see how someone might get confused.

I did offer a helpful comment that they didn't need scooby-doo to solve this mystery, as the scooter was almost certainly

somewhere on the ship...

• Haha 1

@Oceansaway17

About everything was bad on Anthem OTS during that cruise. I loved my Single Balcony Stateroom, that was the highlight. But apart from that...

Longest queues I have ever seen on any cruise ship, not just for the MDRs but especially for Customer Service, for Shore Excursions and for Two70 shows. A fellow cruiser estimated one queue being about 70 meters long on one night. 

Public displays hardly worked. Coca Cola machines were out of order like every second day. Shore excursion disembarkation was completely unorganized or at least seemed like that. All the crew seemed overworked and tired, nobody smiled. And that public announcement in the buffet restaurant telling us we should hurry to leave our breakfast table so that the next guys can use it - that made me decide that RCL itself is dead for me until further notice. 

Edited by Nemanoxer

57 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

So why was Anthem of Seas so horrible?

I love that ship with Two70 and Solarium

So you get different varied opinions on this question..........maybe also ask this on the RCCL board since this Princess board thread is about the Sky Princess?  🤔

Nemonoxer,  you are very wrong about that one post.   (which I can understand, due to a couple of the poster here.). But, very wrong.

As I had said, loud, drunken, pool-games, etc...  NO WAY.

Water slides and zip lines...  NOPE

The ships band blasting fun Latin music at the pool for 45 minutes on sea days...  YES.

A Cunard or HAL floating old-folks home.  NO WAY.

Of course a European Cruise will have a different feel than a Caribbean Cruise.

The Coral Princess in Alaska...  very very low key, for sure.

When I was last on the Regal, the band Xcite absolutely ROCKED!

Look at the recent posts, and video, about the classic Rock review show that is performed by the musicians on the Regal ONLY.  Including the head Entertainment Director and the Cruise Director.

Don't let the anti-Carnival Princess Cheerleaders turn you off.

Do some reading and watch some videos and try to get a truer sense!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 3

I am booked @Wishing on a star - no going back  😊 . Well, unless I am ready to throw away about 700 bucks of cancellation fee - and I am not  😎

It´s been some time since I could go on a 10 day cruise like I did back in 2012 on the Equinox. I will surely enjoy the relaxation once I have re-adapted myself to the feeling that I have been missing since then. Miracles happen, Princess might become my new favorite cruise line  😅

Looking forward to sit far up there on my balcony, a thing I have been missing for years, and see the exotic islands coming closer in the morning.

1 hour ago, Nemanoxer said:

See what I mean @Oceansaway17   😂

Lol. Don't worry about it. You never even sailed on Carnival so not sure why that keeps coming up. NCL is not Carnival either. Some people defend Princess like their misbehaving child that can do no wrong. I tell it like it is... good and bad. If the scale wasn't definitely weighing on the GOOD side I wouldn't keep coming back. If you liked Celebrity, you'll be fine on Princess! If you really want the NCL vibe, then probably not... especially on a 10 day repo. If you didn't say your favorite cruise was on Equinox I might even discourage you from this one too, but I find X to be even more subdued... no MUTS, even a bit more upscale perhaps.... although that Martini Ice Bar on X is a great venue! 

USAToday just posed up a Cruise Ship Tour for Sky: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2019/12/30/cruises-tour-sky-princess-princess-cruises-newest-biggest-ship/2758817001/

Hello OP, I'll weigh in too.  You seem to have enjoyed your previous cruises on Celebrity, NCL etc with certain nominal exceptions, that being the case, I've no doubt you'll enjoy Princess, particularly having chosen the newest ship in the fleet with her many amenities.

As others have noted, the demographic is driven far more by the duration and itinerary than by the line itself (when talking about this group of companies).  Your choice of 10 day cruises should skew younger than longer voyages and older than shorter ones.  My guess is you'll be a few years younger chronologically than you're shipmates - not dramatically so however.  I can't help but wonder though whether the entertainment might not let you down, you're opening post poked fun at other lines for closing down at 2200.  Most Princess cruises I've been on became very thin - in terms of passenger participation by about that hour.  I've seen disco's closed down long before midnight, even when listed as open until the 'wee hours'.  If late night entertainment is a priority I doubt Princess will 'solve' the Celebrity problem.

Still, as said, Sky is likely to offer you more options than just about any other ship in the fleet and having committed yourself to the voyage it would be interesting to have you drop by this thread again with your post cruise impressions.  All joking aside your opinion and experience will be valuable to others weighing similar decisions in the future.  

Cheers! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

I am booked @Wishing on a star - no going back  😊 . Well, unless I am ready to throw away about 700 bucks of cancellation fee - and I am not  😎

It´s been some time since I could go on a 10 day cruise like I did back in 2012 on the Equinox. I will surely enjoy the relaxation once I have re-adapted myself to the feeling that I have been missing since then. Miracles happen, Princess might become my new favorite cruise line  😅

Looking forward to sit far up there on my balcony, a thing I have been missing for years, and see the exotic islands coming closer in the morning.

Please join our 11/5/2020 Sky Roll Call....which I can't seem to post a link to right now.....and welcome to Princess!

I have sailed Princess about 16 times and also had the pleasure of sailing Celebrity Equinox this past October. I found the two cruise lines more alike than different and I've sailed many cruise lines from Cunard to NCL and beyond.....even a sailboat cruise with Variety in the Greek islands.

That being said, this upcoming Sky sailing will be my first with Royal class ships, meaning it's probably larger than any ship I have sailed so far.  I've never sailed any of the RCCL skyscrapers of the seas so I don't have much to compare with,  but I'm hoping for the best which is all you can do 😊

Edited by vjmatty

I too am booked on this cruise and looking forward to it!  With that said, I am a retired 65 yo woman looking for a repositioning cruise to Florida to get to my condo ...I think you will find a lot of us onboard  ;)

Fun, nonetheless, but just an fyi.

• Like 1

Too soon to tell, but this year my friends did similar cruise N.Y.- Fl first of Nov. wore coats, used umbrellas. No pool use until they reached Fl. So consider the weather. I would not say it is a good fit for you. 

14 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

If your cruise is Nov 2020. You can cancel up to final payment for a full refund if you booked under a refundable deposit ( which you were smart enough to book, right?) 

Tip: Princess lets you book for $1.00 deposits a couple of times each year. Tell us about that $700 you mention 

13 minutes ago, momrox1 said:

I too am booked on this cruise and looking forward to it!  With that said, I am a retired 65 yo woman looking for a repositioning cruise to Florida to get to my condo ...I think you will find a lot of us onboard  😉

Fun, nonetheless, but just an fyi.

I am booked with no reasonable opportunity to step back from that.

@momrox1

@dog

I will prepare my mindset towards a veeery relaxing experience with some healthy boredom included and make the best of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

I am booked with no reasonable opportunity to step back from that.

@momrox1

@dog

I will prepare my mindset towards a veeery relaxing experience with some healthy boredom included and make the best of it.

Have a wonderful cruise

• Like 1