How boring is (Sky) Princess?

Nemanoxer

2 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

My bad on the 'troll' remark, I believe that I was mistaken.

over on Carnival thread the host posted a sticky warning folks for even using the word Tr***

in their threads.  Boy they mean business over there.   Never understood the difference between T word and Lurker.  oh well

To "troll" is to post something that the OP knows will bring about highly opinionated replies, a post not looking for info, just looking to get people fired up about something. My bad, I took this the wrong way, please accept my apology - yours was a sincere post looking for info. 

On 12/30/2019 at 9:14 AM, Nemanoxer said:

@AF-1

Yeah, as I mentioned before, I loved NCL only for the entertainment and relaxed vibe, nothing much else.

Also as mentioned best cruise I ever had was on Equinox where there was hardly any ballyhoo or sports / kids stuff going on. 

I just don´t wanna end up in a Cunard-ish environment cause I tried that once, and even though they had the best buffet I ever had had til then, I felt like everyone else was just waiting to... well... not be with us for very much longer...

"I felt like everyone else was just waiting to... well... not be with us for very much longer.."

You made my day. At 79 my day is made if I can really laugh. Thanks...............................😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nemanoxer said:

At what times are the production shows taking place on Sky Princess?

Do they perform every show twice per night like on Celebrity?

When we were on a couple of weeks ago I think most nights they shows were 6:30 and 8:30.  However, not every show was done twice per night, so it's a daily thing to know what the schedule is for the next day.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:49 PM, RMMariner said:

To be bored is an insult to one's self. 

A quote from DEATH in the Terry Pratchett book The Hogfather “HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM.

It's pretty amazing that, with all there is to see and do, people can manage to be bored.

image.jpeg.6314a92c65fb1d9f544ba852a8770032.jpeg

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

A quote from DEATH in the Terry Pratchett book The Hogfather “HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM.

It's pretty amazing that, with all there is to see and do, people can manage to be bored.

image.jpeg.6314a92c65fb1d9f544ba852a8770032.jpeg

Nothing surprised us anymore when it comes to human nature.  On our recent Emerald Princess cruise we had a friendly chat with another couple who told us they found the cruise boring, especially during dinner.  They later explained they only dine at 2-tops (even if they have to wait for a table) and don't go to the shows.  I could not resist, so suggested that they might be less bored if they ask to share large tables (at dinner).  The lady responded that they do not eat with strangers.  This, after admitting they were bored dining with each other?  Oh my.  And when I asked why they did not go to the shows the answer, as you would expect was that they found all shows boring.  By this point DW and I found the entire conversation "boring."  :).

Hank

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

When we were on a couple of weeks ago I think most nights they shows were 6:30 and 8:30.  However, not every show was done twice per night, so it's a daily thing to know what the schedule is for the next day.

Oh well, sounds a bit odd, no?

I am very much into production shows, and during my last cruises I did choose Anytime Dining (or whatever the cruise line called the freestyle version of dining) so that I was free to avoid lines / queues or bad seats in the theater...

But then again...

I do miss meeting the same people at the same table every night. Something you hardly get when you dine freestyle.

Now that is what I call a first world problem...

11 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

Oh well, sounds a bit odd, no?

I am very much into production shows, and during my last cruises I did choose Anytime Dining (or whatever the cruise line called the freestyle version of dining) so that I was free to avoid lines / queues or bad seats in the theater...

But then again...

I do miss meeting the same people at the same table every night. Something you hardly get when you dine freestyle.

Now that is what I call a first world problem...

Personally we do not miss the wieners and complainers and the chronically sick and tell us every evening how awful it all is. The sickness that they have etc. There is always at least one at the table. One time one cruiser was very nasty to the lady sitting next to him and nasty to the server. Finding out they were not married and did not even know one another. The wife and I. Nice quite relaxing dinner. Very enjoyable. Almost missing a show or getting there late and had to stand. No longer.

45 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

On every Princess cruise I've been on, the Princess Theater main shows (with the possible exception of the Welcome Aboard show the first night) have always been twice a night timed to fit with the two traditional seating times (despite what some people want to think, the times of various things are co-ordinated. The Entertainment Director and the Maitre D', both of who are under the Hotel GM, both sit on the ship's Executive Committee where these things are planned - and I got that right from an Entertainment Director's mouth). And while I can't speak as to what the current officers of Sky Princess are doing, I've found that generally shows are scheduled to be after dinner so 8:00ish and 10:00ish are more normal. The exception is when there is another late event planned like a late deck party by the pool in which case the show for late dining will be before dinner in which case 6:30ish (for late diners) and 8:30ish (for early diners) will be the schedule. But those "late diners see the show before dinner" nights will be relatively few (like only once or twice a cruise).

Now for other shows, such as a headliner doing his or her second show (almost performers have a second show they can perform) in the lounge at the rear (usually a night or two after their main show in the Princess Theater), they might only perform it once.

On 12/30/2019 at 4:31 AM, Nemanoxer said:

Don´t hurt me, Princess fans, it´s just a click magnet  😎

So, more seriously spoken: I am planning to book Sky Princess on 5th Nov 2020 from NYC to FLL via SXM, SKB and AUA in cabin A309, Balcony Standard midship, Deck 12.

I started cruising in 2012 on Celebrity Equinox, best cruise I ever had. However, apart from those higher end Celebrity cruises I´ve done (also did inaugural on the Edge), I also did RCL´s Anthem OTS (that was absolutely horrible) and NCL´s Getaway. Fun fact: Best overall feel was on that NCL cruise due to best entertainment EVER. I missed the higher end feeling there and the higher end food. However, I love both very much, just differently. 

Question: Right now, I imagine Sky Princess to be more Cunard-ish than Celebrit-ish. Lights out at 2200. 10 % of guests under 50. Lots of piano everywhere, some modern chill out music in the lounge areas. No loud pool party any day. The absolute opposite of NCL´s Getaway. 

Am I right with my imaginations?

Side info: I am a 48 year old solo traveller who is not exactly much into excessive partying but into a lively overall atmosphere with a touch of class but also a casual touch of fun. Having very high expectations on food and shows.

D´ya all think Sky Princess could make me happy?

Are we supposed to know what SXM, SKB and AUA are.  How about spelling them out or do you expect us to look them up.

DON

On 12/30/2019 at 7:31 AM, Nemanoxer said:

Don´t hurt me, Princess fans, it´s just a click magnet  😎

So, more seriously spoken: I am planning to book Sky Princess on 5th Nov 2020 from NYC to FLL via SXM, SKB and AUA in cabin A309, Balcony Standard midship, Deck 12.

I started cruising in 2012 on Celebrity Equinox, best cruise I ever had. However, apart from those higher end Celebrity cruises I´ve done (also did inaugural on the Edge), I also did RCL´s Anthem OTS (that was absolutely horrible) and NCL´s Getaway. Fun fact: Best overall feel was on that NCL cruise due to best entertainment EVER. I missed the higher end feeling there and the higher end food. However, I love both very much, just differently. 

Question: Right now, I imagine Sky Princess to be more Cunard-ish than Celebrit-ish. Lights out at 2200. 10 % of guests under 50. Lots of piano everywhere, some modern chill out music in the lounge areas. No loud pool party any day. The absolute opposite of NCL´s Getaway. 

Am I right with my imaginations?

Side info: I am a 48 year old solo traveller who is not exactly much into excessive partying but into a lively overall atmosphere with a touch of class but also a casual touch of fun. Having very high expectations on food and shows.

D´ya all think Sky Princess could make me happy?

Enjoyable or boring is what YOU make it. You can find many things on any ship that you may like. You enjoyed the Equinox. Just about the same. We hated the Edge. The only ship we will never go on again. 

Yeah @twodaywonder .

In a way, I had a feeling that Sky Princess could be some kind of... like... an impersonation or how ever you want to call it of the 2012 Celebrity Equinox with the spirit she had back then. If Sky comes a bit close to that experience, I will be very fine.

The service I had on Equinox in 2012 is unrivaled, might only come back if I should one day be able to do Silversea or something like that. However, just gimme some really great food, and I will forgive if my cabin steward does not know my first name  🙂