Cruise wear

cruznjan

22 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

If you like and can afford spending on a special wardrobe, go for it!!!

I guess I could afford it but I sure wouldn't like it. I have my everyday casual wear and then I have those things for a nice dinner out. And that's how I divvy them up when traveling also. I can't think of a single thing in my closet that I would only wear when traveling. As I said and I can tell you're similar, my taste in clothes is pretty tailored and a whole lot of them are in solid colors which makes traveling easier. And I guess, thinking about it, that I don't have "outfits."

17 minutes ago, clo said:

I guess I could afford it but I sure wouldn't like it. I have my everyday casual wear and then I have those things for a nice dinner out. And that's how I divvy them up when traveling also. I can't think of a single thing in my closet that I would only wear when traveling. As I said and I can tell you're similar, my taste in clothes is pretty tailored and a whole lot of them are in solid colors which makes traveling easier. And I guess, thinking about it, that I don't have "outfits."

I sure don't have "outfits"!!

Let's say I used to a "tailored" person, up until this past November.  I had to wear business clothes for work.  None were straight suits - I put together jackets, shirts, pants, skirts that I could mix & match.  But, once I was home, it was jeans or leggings and T-shirts/sweaters.  Now that my new workplace is casual (as long as the pants & sweaters are black - hello Athleta stuff!), I'm more leggings than jeans.  I'm free to wear what I want, when I want!!  In summer, I'll add shorts or capri leggings (NOT capri pants - ugh) to the mix.  I have non-jean pants that I use for travel and camping.   I can pack pretty fast for a trip since I don't have to worry about outfits or gowns or specific items - my usual clothes and I add in my LBTD (little black travel dress which I only wear on vacations).

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

If you like and can afford spending on a special wardrobe, go for it!!!  I'm just a Plain Jane multi-purpose person 😉

I don't think I've spent $200 for one garment in my life, even my wedding dress!

I do my cruise shopping at charity stores, for the most part.  It's all a game; a charity benefits, I get a nifty dress or jacket for $10, and I am recycling.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I don't think I've spent $200 for one garment in my life, even my wedding dress!

I do my cruise shopping at charity stores, for the most part.  It's all a game; a charity benefits, I get a nifty dress or jacket for $10, and I am recycling.

We have one charity store in town.  Everyone goes there to find parkas and ski pants so they don't have to pony up full price for the season!  "Dress clothes" just aren't in the mix because the town is all casual.  The "ladies who lunch" will take their goods to the one consignment store in town - and we still can't afford them!  

(I got my wedding dress on sale for $98 - used a Savings Bond to buy it!)

• Like 1

I'm not sure there is a separate category of "cruisewear" but I do know the fashion industry has always had a mini "resort-wear" season following the holiday season. This meshes with the time of year that many folks in northern climates want to take a warm weather vacation, whether that means beaches in Mexico or a Caribbean cruise.

I tend to think of that particular line of clothing as what my mom wears year-round in Florida. 

Most of my travel is not resort-oriented so it doesn't appeal to me. I do have some clothes that I reserve primarily for travel simply because 1) they travel so well and 2) I don't have a lot of use for them in my daily life where I work at a conservative corporate environment.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am taking my first cruise in 14 years. I am just looking for ideas what to wear to casual night in ding room on carnival liberty. I wad wondering if a jumpsuit would look ok to wear.i am not a dress person but planning on wearing one for cruise elegnant night.

Jumpsuits can be very nice!  (I'm picturing long ones.)  I especially like them with loose, flowy legs.  Like a dress, a jumpsuit makes it easy to get dressed, no debating which top goes with which bottom.  Add shoes, jewelry if you wish, and you're all set.

16 hours ago, Princess1963 said:

I am taking my first cruise in 14 years. I am just looking for ideas what to wear to casual night in ding room on carnival liberty. I wad wondering if a jumpsuit would look ok to wear.i am not a dress person but planning on wearing one for cruise elegnant night.

A jumpsuit is fine for casual night as well as nice slacks with a pretty top.  I've seen dressy black slacks with a sparkly top at elegant night so you don't have to wear a dress if you don't want to.

Hi, I agree 100%-----if you don't want to wear a dress? Don't wear one. I am not a dress gal and have found plenty of 

dressy slacks with nice tops that work for whatever "dressing up" is needed on a cruise🙂.  And a jumpsuit will work

for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

My cruise wear department store is Ebay! 

I've been buying almost all my clothes from them for years. I just search for the brand, size, and fabric, maybe color.  I have a large selection of chiffon fabric tops which are perfect for hot weather cruises. 

My favorite brand blouses and tops are usually $50 - $70 each, and I get the same thing on ebay for $15 - $25, and many times new.  Look for NWOT (new without tags) and NWT (new with tags).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I generally pack things I wear at home or will wear after the cruise.  I prefer to bring things that serve dual duty or can be mixed and matched.  If the weather or activities are different from at home, or I need a specialty item. I try to buy things on deep discount or a thrift/consignment shops. If a see a good bargain, I may buy it with a future cruise or trip in mind.