I think I regret booking MSC

Whatsmyline

I don't believe there is anything to regret when booking a MSC cruise as long as you keep expectations aligned accordingly. MSC is a value driven (aka budget) cruise line. When sailing from the states, you should be spending 25-75% (yes 75%) LESS than a competitive mainstream line. If you are spending half the cost, it is likely MSC is making up the savings somewhere in the experience you should expect. Anytime a mainstream line is priced in the same ballpark as MSC, I personally choose the other line. But when significant savings are there, I don't hesitate to book MSC.

If you read 1,000+ reviews of MSC you will find some common negative themes. Food quality, service levels, and general disorganization are themes that appear over and over again. That's not to say you will experience poor food, bad service, etc... (not everyone does), but enough people comment on these themes repeatedly  that I believe it is reasonable these issues give you pause. 

Many people LOVE MSC and rave on and on about how great they are. Others HATE MSC and will tell you time and time again how awful the experience was. Personally, I'm in the middle. I book MSC expecting a great value vacation but acknowledge that the cost savings will likely result in a glitch here or there. I do my very best to avoid guest services at all cost and use a travel agent to handle booking. Other than that, I go with expectations aligned to price paid, and use the money saved to book additional travel :). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

It's really a damn silly program (and a waste of vermouth). 

Quite right, follow Noel Coward's advice

“A perfect Martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy.”

As you're on an italian ship you don't even need a compass 😂

Edited by ziggyuk

21 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

You are correct - I was indeed looking at outdated information. 

As to the MSC drink package - I've gotten the Easy Package as part of my booking.  Had I known about the serious limitations of it, I may very well have not booked this cruise.  My bad for not doing the research.  (and I admit to being spoiled by Celebrity Perks that include a very generous standard alcohol package.)

My dissatisfaction with the Easy Package:

• VERY limited choices - only two red wines, etc.
  • Not allowed in specialty restaurants
  • Want something priced above your $6 Easy allowance?  Your paying the full price, not just the difference.
  • The limited choice of mixed drinks - I want a martini?  Order a glass of vodka on the rocks, then get an order of dry vermouth.  Mix a little of that vermouth in my vodka, then throw away the rest of that vermouth.  Want a frozen daiquiri?   Order a virgin frozen daiquiri and a glass of rum.  Mix it together.  It's really a damn silly program (and a waste of vermouth). tin

Sorry once again I must reiterate you are comparing apples to oranges the Easy Package is mostly a free throw in or for people who don't drink Martinis which there are plenty. It isn't advertised as a Martini program- you could have had that for just a few dollars more still hundreds less than Celebrity. There are few cruises who would get their value out of the price of a premium drink package and MSC is the only cruise line who allows this low level package and gives it out free many times with no hidden fees like the other cruise lines charge which is a plus not a negative. You could have upgraded your free package a fraction of what you would pay at Celebrity who once again charges $70USD plus 20% gratuities on top of that -yes I said 20% plus 10% tax.

You could have paid 140 to upgrade your package no gratuities or tax and had your martini  drink you wish and still saved 600 or spend the $10 and save $780.

I continually see cruises book MSC to save thousands and then seem confused when they don't get champagne  treatment even though MSC offers this white glove treatment for a fraction of the cost

7 minutes ago, Cruisennerable said:

Sorry once again I must reiterate you are comparing apples to oranges the Easy Package is mostly a free throw in or for people who don't drink Martinis which there are plenty. It isn't advertised as a Martini program- you could have had that for just a few dollars more still hundreds less than Celebrity. There are few cruises who would get their value out of the price of a premium drink package and MSC is the only cruise line who allows this low level package and gives it out free many times with no hidden fees like the other cruise lines charge which is a plus not a negative. You could have upgraded your free package a fraction of what you would pay at Celebrity who once again charges $70USD plus 20% gratuities on top of that -yes I said 20% plus 10% tax.

You could have paid 140 to upgrade your package no gratuities or tax and had your martini  drink you wish and still saved 600 or spend the $10 and save $780.

I continually see cruises book MSC to save thousands and then seem confused when they don't get champagne  treatment even though MSC offers this white glove treatment for a fraction of the cost

I agree that there is an element of apples to oranges.  As I said, I am spoiled by the perks offered by X - which in  have been 'free' when we book an OV cabin.   Yes, I know it's not truly free because the base fare is higher.  

We sailed MSC years ago when the Divina first began sailing in the US. We very much enjoyed it, and are anxious to try it again.  

But I still say the items on the list I made above is senseless and illogical.   PARTICULARLY #2, 3 and 4.

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Personally, I'm in the middle. I book MSC expecting a great value vacation but acknowledge that the cost savings will likely result in a glitch here or there. I do my very best to avoid guest services at all cost and use a travel agent to handle booking. Other than that, I go with expectations aligned to price paid, and use the money saved to book additional travel :). 

Great advice!   I'm the exact same way.  My expectations are always aligned with what I'm paying.  They are a lot higher on something like Silversea or Seabourn.  Much lower on MSC, and as I joked with my friends on my last MSC cruise (which was dirt cheap), I was happy just to have toilet paper!  LOL. Funny enough, MSC has done away with tissues in the cabins.  Totally stupid but that is MSC for you.  Anyway I had a fantastic time.  Had I paid 4-5 times the price I might have been a bit more particular.  These people that go on MSC for a bargain and expect the world (or even Royal, Princess, etc) do a disservice to themselves and the line.  MSC is not NCL or Royal Caribbean, nor should they be.  If that is the experience you want and expect, then sail on those lines.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kmkub said:

Is this true? I really need to bring my own box of tissues?

Absolutely true.  No tissues on the entire ship excect in the YC.  Also no more cocktail napkins.  We were told both were eliminated to "save the environment".  I call BS.  Purely cost cutting.  So we had to put an extra roll of toilet paper next to the bathroom sink to use as tissues.  PITA.  

No one will die or suffer over this, but I think it's taking cost cutting to the extreme.  Probably my biggest complaint about the cruise, which tells you overall it was a pretty great cruise (MERAVIGLIA - early December 2019 cruise).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

There was an earlier post on this question.  The answer seemed to be that passengers were using tissues as toilet paper, and clogging the systems.

Again I would call BS.  Every other cruise line in the world seems to have tissues and they do just fine.  All the cruise lines purchase the ultra-biodegradable style paper products to go easy on the evac toilet systems.  

We were told specifically it was for "environmental" reasons which is laughable, especially when they leave 4-5 thick pages of paper in your cabin everyday as the daily program.  

• Like 3

On 1/2/2020 at 11:05 AM, Whatsmyline said:

I booked a MSC cruise several months ago.  Then I started lurking on this board and reading all the information.  And now I wish I had not booked this cruise.  Because I didn't book the Yacht Club.

So many posts say the only way to cruise msc is in the yacht club.  That they wouldn't do any other cabin.  Questions about regular cabins get answers about the yacht club.  It's mostly yacht club in the subject lines of posts.  Its yadda yadda yadda yacht club.

I feel like a 2nd class guy who is going to have a 2nd class, lousy time.  Sorry if I sound bitter, but a lot of the posts here have made me feel that way.  

I booked Bella inside the first time and a Bella balcony because we have 3 in a cabin this time.no yacht club for me.if you read this board that's all you hear is yacht club.i even considered it for this upcoming cruise but we wouldn't get enough out of it.we are not yacht club types.maybe one day but I'm not losing any sleep over it in the mean time.bella suits us just fine.

I have got to chime in on the “tissue” thing - we have cruised MSC seven times and six times had tissues in our cabin and one time there were no tissues so I asked for a box and got it - always Interior Cabin, sometimes Bella and sometimes Fantastica. 

I also had no tissues on the brand new Grandiosa. I was given a box when I asked for them. I wondered if it was because my cabin attendant forgot, but now I see it is a corporate decision. They should keep the box outside of the bathroom if this is the case.

12 hours ago, cellfree said:

I have got to chime in on the “tissue” thing - we have cruised MSC seven times and six times had tissues in our cabin and one time there were no tissues so I asked for a box and got it - always Interior Cabin, sometimes Bella and sometimes Fantastica. 

Same thing with wash cloths.  They have wash cloths, but it's optional if they put them in your room.  I bring my own.  I never use wash cloths from any place else.

14 hours ago, cellfree said:

We had 3 cabins and 3 different cabin stewards.  We all asked about tissues.  Same response.  The ship no longer has them onboard.  None to give.  Period.  

4 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

I don’t understand your point regarding wash cloths on cruise ships and/or hotels. Please explain.

I'll let you imagine what people use them for other than their face.  And, if you think they're always washed in hot water and bleach....uh...nope, and unknowingly guests wash their faces with those.  And condoms filled with semen stuck to sheets in the dryer that go on your bed. It's just gross.  If people only knew how disgusting hotel rooms are, including jacuzzis and whirlpool tubs. 

I'm out of here.

39 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

We were on the seaside last week. Asked the steward for tissues. She promptly brought a box to my room. 

It’s MSC.  Nothing is consistent.  Still you didn’t automatically have them in your cabin.  You had to ask for them.  

Anyway it takes about a year for MSC policies to be enacted fleetwide on a consistent basis.  By then the policy may change.  

21 hours ago, eroller said:

Much lower on MSC, and as I joked with my friends on my last MSC cruise (which was dirt cheap), I was happy just to have toilet paper!  LOL. Funny enough, MSC has done away with tissues in the cabins.

Not so far from the truth. We had to go looking for toilet paper ourselves because our steward was nowhere to be found, and housekeeping would not answer their phone. We had no tissues in our stateroom, nor did the two other couples with whom we were travelling. I guess we will have to add  tp and tissues to our future packing lists.

It's likely a first world problem but also an illustration of how MSC is striving to cut costs in order to maintain the price point.

Edited by daisy-mae
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

Not so far from the truth. We had to go looking for toilet paper ourselves because our steward was nowhere to be found, and housekeeping would not answer their phone. We had no tissues in our stateroom, nor did the two other couples with whom we were travelling. I guess we will have to add  tp and tissues to our future packing lists.

It's likely a first world problem but also an illustration of how MSC is striving to cut costs in order to maintain the price point.

Thankfully we had the TP!  LOL.  I have to say my cabin steward did a great job and placing extra TP in the cabin since there were no tissues to be had.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Skoobdo said:

And, if you think they're always washed in hot water and bleach....uh...nope, and unknowingly guests wash their faces with those.

Not disputing that this happens at hotels, but I took the "behind the scenes" tour on Divina and was very impressed with the laundry operation. For example, every sheet gets fully stretched out to go through a dryer with cameras inside looking for stains and holes. Any suspect sheets are automatically shunted to a reject pile. (Further off topic, but the machine that perfectly cleans and dries dishes in 60 seconds flat is also amazing to see.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skoobdo said:

I'll let you imagine what people use them for other than their face.  And, if you think they're always washed in hot water and bleach....uh...nope, and unknowingly guests wash their faces with those.  And condoms filled with semen stuck to sheets in the dryer that go on your bed. It's just gross.  If people only knew how disgusting hotel rooms are, including jacuzzis and whirlpool tubs. 

I'm out of here.

We frequently do home exchanges.  One of the questions we are asked most frequently is "How can you sleep in some strangers bed?!!!?"  We smile and say "How many thousands of strangers were in your last hotel bed?"  

Anywho, unless I start travelling with my own sheets, pillow cases, bath and face towels, I'll be using the washcloths.  But maybe I'm daring - in Mexico I eat at the street taco stands.  

• Like 1