I think I regret booking MSC

Whatsmyline

I think that the big difference in service for Yacht Club passengers is when they/we are  within the Yacht Club because there the service is extremely good.

Outside the Yacht Club I think that all passengers are normally treated the same.

I did got extremely good service from one of the servers in Divina bar but I'm not sure if it was because we were Yacht Club passengers. I brought a glass of Champagne from Divina bar to Le Muse and when they came to take the glass I told them that it was broken, I very small piece was missing at the top of the glass. They wanted to know where I got the glass because they shouldn't have given it to me. I told them that I didn't wanted anyone to get in trouble because of it and maybe the staff in Divina bar were told about that and gave me the extra good service because of it, just a thought.

Easy package Aperol Spritz ? No

Easy package Aperol and a prosecco ? Yes!

Stupidity still reigns at times on MSC somewhat like the time we were refused a coffee with Bailey's in it but could get a coffee and a Bailey's !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Whatsmyline said:

I booked a MSC cruise several months ago.  Then I started lurking on this board and reading all the information.  And now I wish I had not booked this cruise.  Because I didn't book the Yacht Club.

So many posts say the only way to cruise msc is in the yacht club.  That they wouldn't do any other cabin.  Questions about regular cabins get answers about the yacht club.  It's mostly yacht club in the subject lines of posts.  Its yadda yadda yadda yacht club.

I feel like a 2nd class guy who is going to have a 2nd class, lousy time.  Sorry if I sound bitter, but a lot of the posts here have made me feel that way.  

We have done 3 MSC cruises, one in YC.  We had a fabulous time on all 3 cruises.  Not sure what ship you are sailing, but we did 2 on Seaside. We had Bella balcony on one and YC on the other.  Seaside has enough public spaces that it did not seem crowded except on seaday at the pool.  The buffet can get crowded, but we ate dinner twice at buffet when we were in YC (nothing appealed to me in YC those nights).  

Unfortunately, a lot of MSC posts are YC related. You will have a great time on MSC.  

If I want a luxury experience, then I cruise a luxury cruise line (last cruise was on Viking Ocean). I don't kid myself that I am getting a luxury experience by booking the highest fare cabin on a lower tier cruise line.

When I cruise MSC, I am in a Bella interior, have never felt like a second class citizen and have enjoyed everything about the cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have been in the Yacht Club three cruises. It's nice and convenient, but really not necessary to have a good cruise. We never used the butler or concierge. The restaurant and lounge are fine, but not $3,000 better than a non YC balcony and dinner in the MDR. We just booked a cruise on the Divina at the end of January. Our cost for a Fantastic Balcony for two was $918. This is an amazing price on a ship as nice as the Divina which we have previously sailed.  

As regards size, the YC balcony which is essentially the same balcony room as the Fantastic, is $4,075. The YC is still a great deal when compared to the NCL Haven, but having been in both, the cost/benefit is just not there vs. a regular balcony. While I expect I will have to deal with crowds at certain times and places, it is all part of the cruise experience. MSC is still offering great value for money when compared with its chief rival NCL. We are both Platinum Plus on NCL, but we have not sailed them in a few years. Ever since Del Rio assumed the helm, prices have gone up and service down. It is great to have MSC as a competitor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have cruised on many lines, from Carnival to Celebrity and many in between and have always had a good time. We try not to let the small stuff get us down. Missed ports, long lines at check in, account issues, internet problems.  Our motto is that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. We are very appreciative of all the staff and many times will tip heavily the first day and find that we get excellent service for the rest of the cruise. We were on the Seaside last week (in a Bella balcony) and despite the ship being at capacity I never felt like we were getting sub par service. We are new to MSC and we really liked it. Our adult children like it better than Celebrity, which they think is boring. We will definitely book another MSC cruise. 

Edited by poeticlicensed

I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy your cruise we’ve cruised yacht club and every other category never felt superior  ( some do ) or inferior in any of them.

I certainly don’t need a butler to hold my hand all cruise and am more than capable of getting my own drinks pizzas going to shows and getting on and off the ship.

5 hours ago, sidari said:

Stupidity still reigns at times on MSC somewhat like the time we were refused a coffee with Bailey's in it but could get a coffee and a Bailey's !

I became convinced that this is strategic on their part to sell upgrades. The majority of folks haven't heard of CC and don't know that trick. When I started looking at bar menus and SO MANY drinks were priced at $6.50 and not $6, it was obvious why they don't just charge the difference. They will make a lot more money by convincing people they need to upgrade than by collecting .50, even on every single drink. I bet they sell a bunch of onboard upgrades in those first two days after everyone has seen the menus and learned that they would be charged the full price of each of those drinks that are just out of reach. 

Those of us who know how to order properly can help others and save them the cost of the upgrades. 😉

• Like 1

Just now, Jembeccatoo said:

Is there a way to get coconut rum with the Easy Package?

I was referring to ordering a shot of one of the included spirits and adding to a mixer/virgin cocktail of your own. I don't know any way to get a spirit that isn't included. There are a couple of opportunities to get free cocktails- the CC M&M, the Voyagers Club Welcome, and the Welcome Back cocktail party. But IIRC, those are prepared drinks, not open bars. 

1 hour ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

I became convinced that this is strategic on their part to sell upgrades. The majority of folks haven't heard of CC and don't know that trick. When I started looking at bar menus and SO MANY drinks were priced at $6.50 and not $6, it was obvious why they don't just charge the difference. They will make a lot more money by convincing people they need to upgrade than by collecting .50, even on every single drink. I bet they sell a bunch of onboard upgrades in those first two days after everyone has seen the menus and learned that they would be charged the full price of each of those drinks that are just out of reach. 

Those of us who know how to order properly can help others and save them the cost of the upgrades. 😉

I'm sorry if I sound rude - but is this supposed to sound like a positive or negative comment about MSC alcohol packages/policies?  

7 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

I'd also prefer that they just charge the difference if I want to get a higher cost drink than my package allows; but I don't think any other cruise line does that except Celebrity. 

Within the last few months Princess began charging only the difference between the $12 limit (which covers more than 95% of their drinks) and the price of the more expensive drinks if you have the beverage package.

• Like 1

Just now, jkgourmet said:

I'm sorry if I sound rude - but is this supposed to sound like a positive or negative comment about MSC alcohol packages/policies?  

Neutral, I guess. Just analyzing their policy. As a business, it's their right to strategize. Others were commenting that some cruise lines just charge the price difference. It would be better for us if they did, but there's no incentive for them to do that. I know that my husband would enjoy any of the $6.50 beers more than the two choices included in the package at $6.00. We'd spend a couple of extra bucks a day if they only charge the difference. But they're banking on people who see their favorite drinks are outside of the easy package and upgrade their package. 

As the consumer, we don't have any leverage on this, so either their strategy works, or we drink Rum & Coke instead of Newcastle. Or spring for a drink or two outside our package if we're in the mood. The info is out there for people to do the math on if the package is worth it for them. I don't think anybody who is booking MSC is going to choose a different cruise line over a drink package because the overall vacation cost is so much lower. I recently priced similar 7nt  Caribbean cruises for our family across 6 cruise lines and MSC was $1000 less than Carnival, $2000 less than Princess, NCL, Celebrity, $3000 less than Royal Caribbean, and $7000 less than Disney. 

Sorry we got OT, was just responding to the idea of not charging the difference. I took it one step further by saying that the .50 and other low dollar price differences are there for the express intention of pricing some drinks outside the package. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

Neutral, I guess. Just analyzing their policy. As a business, it's their right to strategize. Others were commenting that some cruise lines just charge the price difference. It would be better for us if they did, but there's no incentive for them to do that. I know that my husband would enjoy any of the $6.50 beers more than the two choices included in the package at $6.00. We'd spend a couple of extra bucks a day if they only charge the difference. But they're banking on people who see their favorite drinks are outside of the easy package and upgrade their package. 

As the consumer, we don't have any leverage on this, so either their strategy works, or we drink Rum & Coke instead of Newcastle. Or spring for a drink or two outside our package if we're in the mood. The info is out there for people to do the math on if the package is worth it for them. I don't think anybody who is booking MSC is going to choose a different cruise line over a drink package because the overall vacation cost is so much lower. I recently priced similar 7nt  Caribbean cruises for our family across 6 cruise lines and MSC was $1000 less than Carnival, $2000 less than Princess, NCL, Celebrity, $3000 less than Royal Caribbean, and $7000 less than Disney. 

Sorry we got OT, was just responding to the idea of not charging the difference. I took it one step further by saying that the .50 and other low dollar price differences are there for the express intention of pricing some drinks outside the package. 

We’ve always found MSC competitively priced but have never found Celebrity to be cheaper than RCCL.

9 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We’ve always found MSC competitively priced but have never found Celebrity to be cheaper than RCCL.

I was shocked myself. I thought RCCL would come in between Carnival and the Princess/Celebrity/NCL group. It may have had to do with the specifics of what I was looking for. There's 5 in my family so we need two rooms and I prefer a balcony.

I was looking at July 11 or 12, 2020.

MSC Seaside Super Family (2 Connected Balconies) Eastern Caribbean $4700

Celebrity Equinox 2 Balconies Western Caribbean $6350 [Edit: this was a 6 night cruise. The others were 7]

Royal's Harmony of the Seas 1 balcony, 1 inside Eastern Caribbean $7500

It probably has to do with class of ship, but my parameters were the dates, Florida departure, and available cabins. If Royal had a cheaper ship doing the Caribbean at the time, I couldn't find it. 

Edited by mamaneedsavacay

16 minutes ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

I was shocked myself. I thought RCCL would come in between Carnival and the Princess/Celebrity/NCL group. It may have had to do with the specifics of what I was looking for. There's 5 in my family so we need two rooms and I prefer a balcony.

Celebrity Equinox 2 Balconies Western Caribbean $6350 [Edit: this was a 6 night cruise. The others were 7]

It probably has to do with class of ship, but my parameters were the dates, Florida departure, and available cabins. If Royal had a cheaper ship doing the Caribbean at the time, I couldn't find it. 

That’s amazing although we love RCCL and there Oasis class ships at those prices I definitely would have chosen Celebrity over RCCL.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Whatsmyline said:

I booked a MSC cruise several months ago.  Then I started lurking on this board and reading all the information.  And now I wish I had not booked this cruise.  Because I didn't book the Yacht Club.

So many posts say the only way to cruise msc is in the yacht club.  That they wouldn't do any other cabin.  Questions about regular cabins get answers about the yacht club.  It's mostly yacht club in the subject lines of posts.  Its yadda yadda yadda yacht club.

I feel like a 2nd class guy who is going to have a 2nd class, lousy time.  Sorry if I sound bitter, but a lot of the posts here have made me feel that way.  

I did my first MSC cruise last September on the Sinfonia. Also read bad reviews about everything on the ship including the food. We were pleasantly surprised. Food was great and loved everything about the ship. Drink packages were realy cheap compared to NCL who we always cruise with. We had a Suit which is just a normal balcony cabin with a larger bathroom. It wasnt yacht club. I wouldnt pay for yacht club. It costs twice as much as normal balcony cabins. Its the same as people who fly saying they wouldnt fly if they werent in business or first class. I will never be able to afford that and if I could would rather fly economy and go twice for the same price. Dont be put off by negativities. I am sure you will enjoy your cruise. We booked our 2nd MSC cruise whilst onboard doing our first. 

• Like 1

You have two options here, possibly three.

Option 1.) Cancel your MSC cruise and forever go on wondering how it could have been.

Option 2.) Go on your MSC cruise with an open mind and have (possibly the time of your life).

Option 3.) If you go with option 2 above, there is a good option to have an UP sell. Take it if it's that important to you.

If it were me having to make the decision, option 2 would be my choice. My DH and I will be getting on the Davina in 10 days. We are going with an open mind and happy because any cruise is better than being at work!

Come back and let us know which choice you made and how it worked out for you!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Whatsmyline said:

I'm just off the MERAVIGLIA a couple weeks ago.  Standard balcony cabin.  Had a great time and didn't miss the YC one bit. In fact I barely even knew it existed on the ship.  It was a non-issue.  Last year I sailed on SEASIDE in the YC.  Yes I enjoyed it but honestly I enjoyed myself just as much as a non-YC passenger ... and I paid a lot lot less!  To be honest I even felt the food in the MDR on MERAVIGLIA was superior to that in the YC on SEASIDE.  Go figure.  

Anyway don't worry about the YC.  I agree the posts on CC are heavily weighted to the YC, and I'm not sure why since it's a small percentage of passengers ... but once onboard you won't even know it exists.  

• Like 2

I think if you've paid a fortune to sail in the YC you probably feel entitled to say how good the experience is (and I'm sure it is a different and better experience than sailing in the rest of the ship) - but - sailing Bella Fantastica or Aurea is still wonderful - had my first MSC cruise a year ago on Magnifica and I'm now counting the days until my 29 night cruise from Dubai to Japan on Bellissima (Fantastica balcony) - just remember it's not an American cruise company - there are differences in styles of service and entertainment - and the food is more southern European - but then you knew that when you booked to cruise with the Mediterranean Shipping Company didn't you?

Firstly, you should never allow anyone's opinions (especially those online, dare I say trolls) let you think you are below them or anyone else.

Secondly, the reasons you booked the cruise; needing a break, seeing new things, chasing sun,  experience a gorgeous ship, reconnecting with a partner etc. are all still valid regardless of what anyone on this board says, don't forget that.

Lastly, MSC offer a fantastic product for excellent value, I am sure you will have a great time, but if you allow your mindset, because of your experience on this board, to tell you that you are going to "have a lousy time" then as sure as fate you will have a lousy time.

Delete your CC account, ignore the negative vibes and go have a blast...simples 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

I was referring to ordering a shot of one of the included spirits and adding to a mixer/virgin cocktail of your own. I don't know any way to get a spirit that isn't included. There are a couple of opportunities to get free cocktails- the CC M&M, the Voyagers Club Welcome, and the Welcome Back cocktail party. But IIRC, those are prepared drinks, not open bars. 

The CC MG twice this past year on Seaside could walk up to bar and order a drink.  Their trays though of what they were passing around were pretty good though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sidari said:

Like any customer facing business, those in charge should regularly perform "secret shopper" and/or "undercover boss" checks. Stay on the line for a week, live and breath what customers across all package types or cabin class experience for good and for bad. Likelihood is the type of madness you have given examples of are unbeknownst to the decision makers but will be common knowledge to the bar staff and servers who, based on culture, probably feel they don't have a voice.

7 hours ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

We also find RCCL to be more expensive than Celebrity or other lines. Booked an Alaska cruise recently and Celebrity and Ncl were about the same, but both added several perks. RCCL was a bit more, but no perks beyond meal in a specialty restaurant, which isnt something that would be a deciding factor, like a bev pikg, internet or gratuities. When we added those things in to the price, RCCL was much higher.