Departure times on Ocean Cay earlier than expected. .

Nashna

I thought the really cool thing that separated Ocean Cay and MSC from the rest of the cruise line's private islands was the fact that the ships would stay until late evening.  It now appears that many of the schedules are departing much earlier.  Our January 12th sailing on Divina is departing OC at 4:00pm.  Our 17th of January Divina departure from OC is still showing 11:00pm.  Since both sailings are the last day of the cruise and returning to Miami, I am concerned that our 17th sailing will also depart earlier than expected.  

41 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I thought the really cool thing that separated Ocean Cay and MSC from the rest of the cruise line's private islands was the fact that the ships would stay until late evening.  It now appears that many of the schedules are departing much earlier.  Our January 12th sailing on Divina is departing OC at 4:00pm.  Our 17th of January Divina departure from OC is still showing 11:00pm.  Since both sailings are the last day of the cruise and returning to Miami, I am concerned that our 17th sailing will also depart earlier than expected.  

I think that 4 is a much better departure time than 11. Especially if it's the last day of the cruise.

Hi

Just wondering why you would think staying at one of those private islands that late would be nice? 

Unless there was some special activity happening, I would certainly have returned to the ship for dinner hours before. On top of that, it being the last evening, most people are already packing.

There aren't many places I would be wandering about late evening on any cruise.

21 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Just wondering why you would think staying at one of those private islands that late would be nice? 

Unless there was some special activity happening, I would certainly have returned to the ship for dinner hours before. On top of that, it being the last evening, most people are already packing.

There aren't many places I would be wandering about late evening on any cruise.

OC has evening excursions, parade, party, light show from the custom lighthouse. 

Many things going on there..the entire island is one private resort for MSC

• Like 1

We looked forward to the Sunset Cruise as well as Star Gazing as MSC had highlighted in their evening options for OC.  We never expected to have evening meals on the Island.  We always expected that we would go back to the ship for dinner and a shower to return to the Island for the evening festivities.  Packing for our cruise departure has never taken me more than 30 minutes.  I don't consider packing to be a major undertaking.  Isn't it wonderful that we all have our own likes and dislikes?  

• Like 4

The first week we were there, we left at 11pm (Dec 6th), the next week we were there, we left at 9:30pm (Dec. 13th) it was raining and no one stayed on the island in the rain.  The third week we were there (Dec. 20th), we were suppose to leave at 11pm but never made it to the island because of high winds.  Not sure why they are leaving at 4pm now, I find that strange.  

They have all kinds of night time activities and excursions on the island so by leaving early they are losing a lot of money.  I can understand if it is raining but now they are announcing in advance of early departures.

Your guess is as good as the next as to why or if.  Why not ask why at the CC M & G, maybe they can tell you why.

My cruise in October, 2020 leaves OC at 7:00 p.m. according the website.  Guess no light show/parade etc. for the passengers on that voyage.  I wonder how early you have to be on board to leave at 7:00?  Perhaps 6:00?

Definitely no availability for the late night attractions MSC advertises with that timing.  I was interested in the stargazing 'excursion'.  Ugh.

I'm in the camp of  liking the 11 pm departure. If nothing else, it's very unique for a private island. I suspect that the reason might be related to staffing and turn around day, but that is nothing more than pure speculation on my part. I'd rather see them swap Nassau and OC on the Eastern Caribbean loop, making Nassau the last stop where ships could leave at 4 thus still allowing for an 11 pm departure on Ocean Cay (since it would be the second to last day.)

I do know that I'm disappointed in how many OC stops have been cancelled due to winds. One of the original advertising points of OC was that ships would always be able to dock since tenders aren't required. That is clearly not the case. I believe that RCL ships were able to stop in Cocoa Cay this weekend while Ocean Cay was cancelled.  Perhaps that is due to the  unprotected nature of OC making it more windy since it's so close to the gulf stream? Hopefully someone with more knowledge of sailing tmight be able to chime in.

I'm confused about a couple of things. 

At OC, is the ship docked or tendered?

What is the light show?  If one stays on the ship, is it still possible to view it?

NON-YACHT CLUB - is the food free on OC?  Will the Easy Package be honored?

4 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

I'm confused about a couple of things. 

At OC, is the ship docked or tendered?  The ship is docked.

What is the light show?  If one stays on the ship, is it still possible to view it?  The lighthouse has a light show several times in the evening.  People may watch it from the ship or on the beach. 

NON-YACHT CLUB - is the food free on OC?  Will the Easy Package be honored?  The food is free in the buffet and on food trucks.  The Easy Package is accepted on the island.

• Thanks 1

Nashna, I'm on the 1/12 sailing too. I'm not happy that we get such a short day on OC, between the 4pm departure and learning here on CC that we can't get ashore early in the morning it's really only a half day. 😞

• Like 1

We absolutely loved the late departure when we were on OC in December....I think the earlier departure has to do with the cooler temperatures in the evening during the winter and lack of people using the island as there are not enough evening diversions to entertain people for the evening.... I am sure MSC will figure out a way to make some $ in the evenings on the island that will make later stays affordable.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fogfog said:

OC has evening excursions, parade, party, light show from the custom lighthouse. 

Many things going on there..the entire island is one private resort for MSC

Hi

Well, I guess I will see soon enough. I will be there at the end of this month and it is still scheduled for an 11 p.m. departure.

Unfortunately, it does take me more than 1/2 to pack, and with an early wake up, I will likely be in bed before everyone is back on the ship (if they do stay till 11) 😃.

Anyone else going on the Armonia on the 27th? Join the roll call and/or sign up for the M & M.

thanks for the information everyone

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Nashna, I'm on the 1/12 sailing too. I'm not happy that we get such a short day on OC, between the 4pm departure and learning here on CC that we can't get ashore early in the morning it's really only a half day. 😞

I am not holding out much hope for the January 17th sailing staying until 11:00pm.  The good news is that the Miami temps on our departure are 79 to 81 on Sunday with partly cloudy skies.  .  

The original plan was to have a special drink package just for O.C.  However, MSC changed that policy before the first passengers arrived in December.  I understand that passengers who had pre booked the OC day drink package received refunds before their cruise.  All drink packages are now accepted on the Island.  There are no special day drink packages for OC. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nashna said:

The original plan was to have a special drink package just for O.C.  However, MSC changed that policy before the first passengers arrived in December.  I understand that passengers who had pre booked the OC day drink package received refunds before their cruise.  All drink packages are now accepted on the Island.  There are no special day drink packages for OC. 

Thank goodness for that - couldn't face going to OC for an hour then back on board to get a drink instead of paying then back off the boat etc.

10 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Thank goodness for that - couldn't face going to OC for an hour then back on board to get a drink instead of paying then back off the boat etc.

We were charged for Heineken on OC because it was in a bottle and not draft...just know they will charge you if you order something that is the same product but served the same way...

11 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

👍  Good to know.  Now - if they would just do the sensible and righteous thing and allow the Easy Package in the specialty restaurants.

On the Christmas sailing we did stay on the island until 11:00 pm and watched the light show.  We liked the late departure and the suitcases did not have to be out until 2:00 am.  I packed earlier in the day - you dock at 7:00 am but do not disembark until 9 or 10 (can't remember which now), giving the crew chance to set up first. Whatever drink package you've purchased can be used  but not everything on your package is available on the island.