Need Help Clothing to pack for New Zealand cruise.

Hi, Just wondering what type of clothing and how many clothes do I need to pack for 13 nights cruise from Sydney to New Zealand late January.

Normally only travel to  the hotter islands in the South Pacific. Would I need more than 1 jumper etc. I will be packing a rain jacket just in case.

We are going on the Celebrity Soltice and just wondering if they would have the air conditioning on all the time I don't want to freeze.

Regards Zanny

16 minutes ago, Zanny said:

Hi, Just wondering what type of clothing and how many clothes do I need to pack for 13 nights cruise from Sydney to New Zealand late January.

Normally only travel to  the hotter islands in the South Pacific. Would I need more than 1 jumper etc. I will be packing a rain jacket just in case.

We are going on the Celebrity Soltice and just wondering if they would have the air conditioning on all the time I don't want to freeze.

Regards Zanny

The weather in NZ is variable and unpredictable, even in summer. Pack layers including that jumper and rain jacket, plus a warm hat, scarf and gloves if you are doing scenic cruising through Fiordland. I recommend being up on deck for Milford Sound, forward and on the port side going in.

Solstice is fully air-conditioned. Occasionally public areas like the Sky Lounge will feel cool-cold if there aren't many people there but soon warms up as more people arrive. However if you feel the cold you might like to take a wrap, cardigan or light jacket. The cabin air-con can be adjusted to suit.

Solstice is a lovely ship for cruising NZ - we've done three NZ cruises on her.

• Like 2

I agree that you should plan for layers, however I think that one jumper would be sufficient, particularly if you have a rain jacket or light-weight parka. You won't have to wear the jumper that often, and unless you don't want to be seen in the same garment more than once 😁 or feel you will get grubby very quickly, I would only take one, either a jumper or fleecy top.

The weather in Dunedin today was a high of 12 degrees and a low of 9 degrees with rain. Tomorrow they are expecting 13/8.

Expect the worst, then the worst that will happen is that you'll be prepared and the best that will happen is that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I am off to NZ tomorrow.

I have packed

TOPS

Singlet

T Shirt

Long sleeve T

Shirt

Denim Shirt thy doubles as a overshirt/light jacket

Jacket 

BOTTOMS

Trousers

Shorts

Track pants that can go under trousers

Suit

NZ is cold and there's no way to dress that up.  In summer it's not really my idea of warm or even comfortable but then I am a bit of a cold fish.  I did a two week cruise in February - March 2018 and  lived in ankle boots or joggers, jeans, t-shirts under jumpers / cardigans and my go-everywhere -fold-to-nothing Kathmandu ski jacket.  My thongs, flats,  3/4 pants, frocks, and bathers never saw the light of day and were unpacked and repacked without once being worn. 

My advice for what it's worth is to keep an eye on the weather over there and also check the historical information available.  My idea of cold may not be the same as yours but, I think it's fair to say that this is not a tropical country and accommodations need to be made for that.  The people in NZ  are lovely and the country itself is beautiful, picturesque and very bloody green, it did not get that way because of an arid climate.

Notwithstanding the temperature, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time as it is a wonderful place in itself.  If you're going to Akaroa, walk a little way up the main street and have a bbq'd cheese and mustard sandwich with a glass of SSB - to die for!

1 hour ago, Zanny said:

Hi Thank You everyone for your replies it's terrible to be cold will pack accordially.

Regards Zanny

Zanny, agree about the cold, but at least you can layer up and venture out to enjoy your surroundings - but when it’s hot (as it is here right now in Nth Qld) it’s just really hot 😰

See you are on Solstice,  a purely beautiful ship. 
Enjoy your cool, classy (Celebrity) cruise to NZ 

Edited by Porky55

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The OP is an Aussie, so I felt I could use the term "jumper". 😁

The OP used jumper in her original post, so you using it was quite appropriate.

Leigh

Hi we’re from Manchester UK and we do not get brilliant summers. I am just a bit concerned that someone has advised hats, scarf and gloves is it really that cold in NZ in summer. We’re travelling 17th February on Solstice and planned to take a light jumper, fleece and a light Kagoul. (Rainproof jacket). Also for night on the cruise I only intend to wear dresses in the evening, would you advise trousers. I will be packing a pair of white trousers and jeans for site seeing. I know people cannot predict the weather, but I’ve no intention of packing boots but trainers for during the day.

We are travelling throughout Australia afterwards so we have to pack summer clothes.

just panicking a little after reading posts as we only have 30kg each baggage allowance.

thank you

carol UK

16 minutes ago, Boltonbabe said:

Hi we’re from Manchester UK and we do not get brilliant summers. I am just a bit concerned that someone has advised hats, scarf and gloves is it really that cold in NZ in summer. We’re travelling 17th February on Solstice and planned to take a light jumper, fleece and a light Kagoul. (Rainproof jacket). Also for night on the cruise I only intend to wear dresses in the evening, would you advise trousers. I will be packing a pair of white trousers and jeans for site seeing. I know people cannot predict the weather, but I’ve no intention of packing boots but trainers for during the day.

We are travelling throughout Australia afterwards so we have to pack summer clothes.

just panicking a little after reading posts as we only have 30kg each baggage allowance.

thank you

carol UK

It can be surprising chilly during the scenic cruising in Fiordland, especially first thing in the morning, that's why I recommend a hat, gloves and scarf. The ship is moving so there is some wind chill and it is the coldest part of NZ. I've done three NZ cruises on Solstice and needed a hat and gloves on two of them.

You'll be warm enough inside the ship so dresses will be fine. I base my wardrobe around my regular summer clothes (linen pants, tshirts and a light cardigan, light evening wear) and just add a pair of jeans, a couple of long sleeved tops for layering, a fleece and a rain jacket, plus hat and gloves. Trainers are fine. It wont be super-cold in the ports - the worst we've had was 14C in Dunedin. 

If you want to take photos during the scenic cruising you need to be out on deck, forward on deck 15, in front of the basketball court, is the best spot and on the port side of the forward section. For Milford Sound get up there early before the ship enters the sound.

• Like 1

Hi thank you for your reply. It has been very helpful. We are hardy northern U.K. people so 14c is not too cold for us🤣😂🤣😂🤣  -2c is though.

We will now pack layers, and as we are travelling from the U.K. we will have jeans, jacket, scarf etc.

Its just a bit confusing for us due to the different types of weather we will have as travelling for over a month to Singapore, NZ then Aus.

best wishes

Carol

We hope your situation has improved in Sydney are thoughts are with the communities that have been affected by the fires.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Boltonbabe said:

thank you

carol UK

If you're from Manchester you probably won't think NZ is very cold in February or March. Having said that, a waterproof or padded jacket would be useful. Can I just warn you and the OP that the sun there is very strong (I'm fair but I live in Australia) - I was burnt to a crisp on a country walk there near Auckland in March a couple of years ago. Hadn't been so burnt in years as I'm usually very careful of the sun. Take a sun hat and a warm hat!

10 hours ago, Boltonbabe said:

We hope your situation has improved in Sydney are thoughts are with the communities that have been affected by the fires.

Conditions in Sydney change daily. We had a smoky day two days ago but yesterday it was clear. Today it's supposed to get hot (over 30C) but with no smoke.

There are a number of communities doing it tough at the moment and possibly more after today which is another high risk fire day. The fire crews have spent the cooler days trying to contain the fires but who knows what will happen when the wind gets up.

14 hours ago, Boltonbabe said:

We are traveling throughout Australia afterwards so we have to pack summer clothes.

thank you

carol UK

My wife and I have traveled to UK many times, usually staying a month or more at a time and spending time on the canals around Manchester. We packed for the vagaries of UK weather and never had more than 20kg each. We pack the same for NZ and the same for Alaska. Yes, light jumper and/or fleece with rainproof jacket should be fine. It can get very cool on deck in Fiordland.  Only 30kg? Wow. Don't go OTP with warm clothing as it will be dead weight carting it around Oz.

I've found temps inside ships, universally, pretty much the same. Dress as you normally would inside. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by lyndarra
typo