Tips

37 minutes ago, lissie said:

Frist time cruiser here -going in a few weeks - very exciting! 

Far from first time traveller though - very, very experienced traveller here , last trip was solo 3 weeks in Sichuan, China.  It never occurred to me to use Cunards excursions, found the relevant FB group for the destinations, identified the recommended local tour providers - booked them direct.  

We have enough OBC to cover the tips - not the drinks.  Given neither of us need to put on a whole lot of weight, and my partner has health issues which suggests that drinking 15 alcoholic drinks a day would be a VERY bad idea - we will just drink what we want and evaluate what the cost was at the end.  I believe there is coffee available in the cabin - if its a horrible brand -I'll buy some of my preferred brand at the first port.   We do like speciality coffee -but our experience is that few non-Kiwis can make a decent flat white so I've almost given up when overseas - tend to switch to tea. 

Beware of the free fizzy drink in your Cunard cabin.  Perhaps one of the most awful things in captivity, although it may put you off alcohol for life. (It is called Pol Acker.)

Not sure why they think it is an incentive, but as a returning voyager, I got a large bottle of the stuff. No one got tipped for that.

Edited by Docker123

5 hours ago, lissie said:

Well they are definitely marketed as such in New Zealand - both Princess and P&O Australia have no explicit gratuities - they are included in the fare. Given these are Australian based companies I imagine Australia is the  same 

Marketed as what, "all inclusive"? I don't recall seeing that promoted that way in advertisements here, so would be surprised if it is different there.

Just because they have no gratuities doesn't mean they are marketed as all-inclusive - two different things.

45 minutes ago, lissie said:

Frist time cruiser here -going in a few weeks - very exciting! 

Far from first time traveller though - very, very experienced traveller here , last trip was solo 3 weeks in Sichuan, China.  It never occurred to me to use Cunards excursions, found the relevant FB group for the destinations, identified the recommended local tour providers - booked them direct.  

We have enough OBC to cover the tips - not the drinks.  Given neither of us need to put on a whole lot of weight, and my partner has health issues which suggests that drinking 15 alcoholic drinks a day would be a VERY bad idea - we will just drink what we want and evaluate what the cost was at the end.  I believe there is coffee available in the cabin - if its a horrible brand -I'll buy some of my preferred brand at the first port.   We do like speciality coffee -but our experience is that few non-Kiwis can make a decent flat white so I've almost given up when overseas - tend to switch to tea. 

You are probably in the minority as far as having experience traveIling overseas. I doubt too many first time cruisers are experienced travellers though. For some, particularly those with families, it will be the first time they have had a passport. We had travelled through out Australia but not overseas (due to me not being a good flyer) when we were convinced to take our first cruise. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, Maui Girl said:

I don’t know what cruise line you are going on, so I could be wrong. On Princess you can get coffee from room service (free) but there isn’t any kind of pot in your room to make your own.   Of course the same coffee is available in the dining room and buffet and specialty coffee somewhere on board.  Since pots are considered a fire hazard, I guess most lines have similar arrangements.  
I was looking at the drink prices on the Ruby Princess where we will be soon, and it looks like the package there is $87 AUD, that calculates out to about 6 drinks per day for us, to balance out.   But it depends a lot on what you are drinking, a beer is a lot cheaper than a martini. If I drink 6 martinis I may fall overboard 🤣

Cunard, Queen Elizabeth - so coffee and tea bags in room with an electric  jug. So I doubt it is the same as the buffet - but may be wrong. If I don't like the instant I'll bring some coffee bags on board. 

On QE the drinks package is US$69!  For drinks up to US$12.  We like a wine for dinner - but think it will work out cheaper to buy bottles on board. Plus we can bring unlimited booze on board so will board with some  wine as we have a wine tour before the cruise. The corkage is US$25 - but that's still a lot cheaper than  drinking by the glass. 

My big drinking days are over - I'm sadly unlikely to manage more than a couple of pre-dinner cocktails  a glass of wine with dinner and maybe a nightcap. Pathetic I know! I think I could break even with the package on sea days - but with 6 port days I don't think its worth it.  Particularly as its tropical I  really can't drink much after a day  in the sun!  

We're going to drink what we want but do an analysis afterwards to see how it washes out. 

47 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Marketed as what, "all inclusive"? I don't recall seeing that promoted that way in advertisements here, so would be surprised if it is different there.

Just because they have no gratuities doesn't mean they are marketed as all-inclusive - two different things.

No not  all inclusive - but including gratuities and port charges/taxes.  

45 minutes ago, possum52 said:

You are probably in the minority as far as having experience traveIling overseas. I doubt too many first time cruisers are experienced travellers though. For some, particularly those with families, it will be the first time they have had a passport. We had travelled through out Australia but not overseas (due to me not being a good flyer) when we were convinced to take our first cruise. 

Leigh

I'll be genuinely interested to find out.  My partner has always wanted to cruise - but I get seasick and I don't like group tours so have always independently travelled.  But   there has always been a few itineraries I wanted to do by cruise (Alaska, Panama Canal, and this one PNG).  He's been very ill with cardiac issues and only recently started walking a normal speed and now has started walking up hills again. Normally when we travel we do up to 20,000 steps a day - so he's really been in no shape to travel independently. I sense that's about to change. 

Whether we do another cruise depends on how this one pans out. We chose Cunard because if everything is awful - at least they have a Gin bar and ballroom dancing - and we love ballroom dancing!  And gin! 

8 minutes ago, lissie said:

I'll be genuinely interested to find out.  My partner has always wanted to cruise - but I get seasick and I don't like group tours so have always independently travelled.  But   there has always been a few itineraries I wanted to do by cruise (Alaska, Panama Canal, and this one PNG).  He's been very ill with cardiac issues and only recently started walking a normal speed and now has started walking up hills again. Normally when we travel we do up to 20,000 steps a day - so he's really been in no shape to travel independently. I sense that's about to change. 

Whether we do another cruise depends on how this one pans out. We chose Cunard because if everything is awful - at least they have a Gin bar and ballroom dancing - and we love ballroom dancing!  And gin! 

I get seasick too but take medication. Funnily the only cruise I didn't get seasick was to NZ.Friends who have cruised extensively warned me that I would be seasick but I wasn't, the seas were amazingly calm for the whole cruise.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I get seasick too but take medication. Funnily the only cruise I didn't get seasick was to NZ.

Leigh

I'm seeing my Dr next week about options.  The OTC stuff I've found to be ineffective and makes me very,very sleepy - don't want to be a zombie for 14 nights - there must be better options! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lissie said:

I'm seeing my Dr next week about options.  The OTC stuff I've found to be ineffective and makes me very,very sleepy - don't want to be a zombie for 14 nights - there must be better options! 

I use seabands on my wrists but also take phenergan tabs at night. I sleep well and don't feel dopey through the day.

Leigh

• Like 1

Just now, possum52 said:

I use seabands on my wrists but also take phenergan tabs at night. I sleep well and don't feel dopey through the day.

Leigh

If you report to ship's medical centre, the doctors will often give you a shot of Phenergan for the sea sickness, lucky we have not suffered from sea sickness, despite being in some monster seas over the years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Yes that's on my list to try. Another brand SEalegs with Meclozine hydrochlorid - did nothing for me on a recent trip to White Island - I was one of only 2 people who were sick -  plus the flipping pill made be exhausted for hours after we got back to land fail/fail if you like LOL. Hence the dr's appointment  

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

If you report to ship's medical centre, the doctors will often give you a shot of Phenergan for the sea sickness, lucky we have not suffered from sea sickness, despite being in some monster seas over the years.

Thanks Les, something to consider. My husband doesn't suffer either but I can get it badly when flying and also if a passenger in a car - interestingly, trains and buses/coaches I cope with well. We have had some big seas but not I would call monster, mainly just tail ends of cyclones. On our first cruise which was from Brisbane on the Pacific Dawn, I was feeling unwell before we were even out in Moreton Bay! It probably didn't help that we were at dinner and out table was in the aft of the ship. I had to make a quick farewell to our table mates!

Leigh

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lissie said:

Yes that's on my list to try. Another brand SEalegs with Meclozine hydrochlorid - did nothing for me on a recent trip to White Island - I was one of only 2 people who were sick -  plus the flipping pill made be exhausted for hours after we got back to land fail/fail if you like LOL. Hence the dr's appointment  

Phenergan is OTC but it is what my GP reccommended for me.

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Les, something to consider. My husband doesn't suffer either but I can get it badly when flying and also if a passenger in a car - interestingly, trains and buses/coaches I cope with well. We have had some big seas but not I would call monster, mainly just tail ends of cyclones. On our first cruise which was from Brisbane on the Pacific Dawn, I was feeling unwell before we were even out in Moreton Bay! It probably didn't help that we were at dinner and out table was in the aft of the ship. I had to make a quick farewell to our table mates!

Leigh

I used to get it in every form of transport except trains as a child. I'm ok in trains/ planes and coaches so long as  I don't read. Cars I'm  usually OK _ but if its a long windy road I'll drive which solves the problem. 

I've not done a multi-day sea trip since I was 7 and we came out by liner from NZ. On that trip I was really sick in the Bay of Biscay - but coped with equally rough water across the indian ocean fine. I'm hoping that still applies. 

28 minutes ago, lissie said:

Cunard, Queen Elizabeth - so coffee and tea bags in room with an electric  jug. So I doubt it is the same as the buffet - but may be wrong. If I don't like the instant I'll bring some coffee bags on board. 

On QE the drinks package is US$69!  For drinks up to US$12.  We like a wine for dinner - but think it will work out cheaper to buy bottles on board. Plus we can bring unlimited booze on board so will board with some  wine as we have a wine tour before the cruise. The corkage is US$25 - but that's still a lot cheaper than  drinking by the glass. 

My big drinking days are over - I'm sadly unlikely to manage more than a couple of pre-dinner cocktails  a glass of wine with dinner and maybe a nightcap. Pathetic I know! I think I could break even with the package on sea days - but with 6 port days I don't think its worth it.  Particularly as its tropical I  really can't drink much after a day  in the sun!  

We're going to drink what we want but do an analysis afterwards to see how it washes out. 

Ahhh, so Cunard is a lot different than Princess!  I would like to have a pot in the cabin but room service works fine, it’s my wake up call!  I did just recently discover that some Princess ships in some markets (Japan and UK) do put a pot/tea making supplies in the cabin. On our British Isles cruise, we did not have any of that.  But you would think, if it’s really a fire hazard it would be the same anywhere in the world.  
I think you are right about the beverage package on Cunard,  with the daily price and drink price.  87 AUD is only about 59-60 US and the per drink limit is 16 dollars on Princess . I thought what we drink would average 13-14 per. 

The per drink price is higher probably because they don’t add an automatic tip like they do in most markets.  
It’s exciting that you are going on your first cruise! I bet you will love it ❤️  

3 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Beware of the free fizzy drink in your Cunard cabin.  Perhaps one of the most awful things in captivity, although it may put you off alcohol for life. (It is called Pol Acker.)

Not sure why they think it is an incentive, but as a returning voyager, I got a large bottle of the stuff. No one got tipped for that.

I find it is fine for serving to visitors to our cabin on a cabin crawl. It shows you are a good host and also ensures that they don't come back to our cabin.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lissie said:

No not  all inclusive - but including gratuities and port charges/taxes.  

Yes, that's standard pricing for many lines. However, the issue was how they're marketing here, which isn't correct. They're not being advertised with "all inclusive" as a selling feature in advertising.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lissie said:

I use sea bands, they work very well with no side effects.  I bought a child size pair, small wrists and they need to fit snugly.

19 minutes ago, jomf said:

I use sea bands, they work very well with no side effects.  I bought a child size pair, small wrists and they need to fit snugly.

There's no scientific evidence they work -  and I don't do placebos LOL Trust me I've researched this - its drugs and /or ginger - I'm doing the ginger tablets obviously but its what else  I take. 

1 minute ago, lissie said:

There's no scientific evidence they work -  and I don't do placebos LOL Trust me I've researched this - its drugs and /or ginger - I'm doing the ginger tablets obviously but its what else  I take. 

I don’t need scientific evidence!  Before using them I got seasick looking at a cup of tea! Last year I crossed the Atlantic in a force nine gale without feeling even the slightest bit queasy. They work for me, at a low cost, no side effects ( a slight dent in my wrist, which goes) I can leave them off after a few days and am fine. 

Research only works when you try stuff out yourself! What works for one could well not work for another. 

Take the tablets as a back up and give the bands a go! 

1 minute ago, jomf said:

I don’t need scientific evidence!  Before using them I got seasick looking at a cup of tea! Last year I crossed the Atlantic in a force nine gale without feeling even the slightest bit queasy. They work for me, at a low cost, no side effects ( a slight dent in my wrist, which goes) I can leave them off after a few days and am fine. 

Research only works when you try stuff out yourself! What works for one could well not work for another. 

Take the tablets as a back up and give the bands a go! 

I didn't say the placebo effect doesn't work - clearly it works for you. But it doesn't work on me LOL 

6 minutes ago, lissie said:

I didn't say the placebo effect doesn't work - clearly it works for you. But it doesn't work on me LOL 

It’s not a placebo it’s acupressure, the Chinese have used it to good effect for many many years. 

Its a shame you can’t try them. 

1 hour ago, jomf said:

It’s not a placebo it’s acupressure, the Chinese have used it to good effect for many many years. 

Its a shame you can’t try them. 

They don't work for me if the sea is very rough. That's why I take phenergan.

Leigh