Tips

9 hours ago, Terry & Gail said:

We are going on a Celebrity cruise to New Zealand / Australia.  We like to tip the ship staff for our drinks as we go.  Do we tip in US dollars or in New Zealand/Australia currency?

Terry & Gail

Tips (18% last time I looked) are added to the drink check and are in US$ and added to your cabin account unless you have a drink package. Someone will correct me if this has changed. Tip more if you wish.

54 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Tips (18% last time I looked) are added to the drink check and are in US$ and added to your cabin account unless you have a drink package. Someone will correct me if this has changed. Tip more if you wish.

The price of drinks on Australian sailings is modified to be tip inclusive, not extra e.g. on a US sailing the gourmet tea may be US$4.50 plus gratuity, whereas here it will be US$5.50. No extra tip is required. Of course on a drink package in either case it will not be charged additionally to your account.

As for the gratuity amount in other locations, it increased from 18% to 20% in March last year (quietly).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

The price of drinks on Australian sailings is modified to be tip inclusive, not extra e.g. on a US sailing the gourmet tea may be US$4.50 plus gratuity, whereas here it will be US$5.50. No extra tip is required. Of course on a drink package in either case it will not be charged additionally to your account.

As for the gratuity amount in other locations, it increased from 18% to 20% in March last year (quietly).

Thanks for the up-date.

15 hours ago, Terry & Gail said:

We are going on a Celebrity cruise to New Zealand / Australia.  We like to tip the ship staff for our drinks as we go.  Do we tip in US dollars or in New Zealand/Australia currency?

Terry & Gail

It will be USD on board, but tipping in whatever currency you have would be accepted. As mentioned the auto tip would already be included in the drink pricing.

Topics like this do not go down well in Australia particularly when as indicated they are already factored into the drink tab, this sort of thing is like double tipping and unnecessary. 

It is likely to offend and put off some Australians or put families (internationally) off cruising entirely if they think that this is to be done. It could be the thing that breaks the holiday budget. While most Australians will pay what is expected of them with the fare and accept that those service charges are included in the bill, what most people take exception to is paying for things twice or three times. It will make them feel uncomfortable seeing other people do that. 

When doing something like that you need to be mindful of the international trends. By tipping over and above you are likely to offend, put off or deter some people from getting involved and make cruising sound like it is something they cannot afford.

The brochures and info all advertise a cash free cruising society where those sorts of fees are factored in. Changing the trend or going against what is expected is a big taboo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Topics like this do not go down well in Australia particularly when as indicated they are already factored into the drink tab, this sort of thing is like double tipping and unnecessary. 

It is likely to offend and put off some Australians or put families (internationally) off cruising entirely if they think that this is to be done. It could be the thing that breaks the holiday budget. While most Australians will pay what is expected of them with the fare and accept that those service charges are included in the bill, what most people take exception to is paying for things twice or three times. It will make them feel uncomfortable seeing other people do that. 

When doing something like that you need to be mindful of the international trends. By tipping over and above you are likely to offend, put off or deter some people from getting involved and make cruising sound like it is something they cannot afford.

The brochures and info all advertise a cash free cruising society where those sorts of fees are factored in. Changing the trend or going against what is expected is a big taboo.

To me people who ostentatiously tip cash in countries/places its not required / not normal practice are pretty much playing a game of my d*k is bigger than yours  (its almost always men in my experience). It doesn't bother me that other people think it makes them look important - but  I agree the less confident maybe intimidated by this sort of behaviour. 

9 minutes ago, lissie said:

To me people who ostentatiously tip cash in countries/places its not required / not normal practice are pretty much playing a game of my d*k is bigger than yours  (its almost always men in my experience). It doesn't bother me that other people think it makes them look important - but  I agree the less confident maybe intimidated by this sort of behaviour. 

I think it is more likely that they are so accustomed to tipping at a normal part of every day, that they cannot conceive of a society where this isn't the norm.

In the case of the OP, the question was how he/she should tip. Maybe he/she didn't realise that the tip is added on to the cost of the drink so we are talking about additional tipping. I respect the fact that the question was asked.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think it is more likely that they are so accustomed to tipping at a normal part of every day, that they cannot conceive of a society where this isn't the norm.

In the case of the OP, the question was how he/she should tip. Maybe he/she didn't realise that the tip is added on to the cost of the drink so we are talking about additional tipping. I respect the fact that the question was asked.

It has always been a well known fact and highly published fact that cruising is cash free. No cash required, put everything on your cruise card. Cruise lines have gone above and beyond to publicise this fact and use it as a major draw card to attract passengers.

The problem with a custom like that it is done without any regard for the offence it causes around the world. The people who do it love the saying "when in Rome" yet they are the first to not abide by their own saying when they are there! They do not realise how much the rest of the world has bent over backwards and bit their tongue over this strange and unique custom to mainly two countries on the planet. 

It is definitely a very dangerous game to play on a cruise ship particularly now that the international clients now make up the majority of passengers. It may not offend the crew member but it most certainly will offend fellow passengers. 

18 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

It has always been a well known fact and highly published fact that cruising is cash free. No cash required, put everything on your cruise card. Cruise lines have gone above and beyond to publicise this fact and use it as a major draw card to attract passengers.

The problem with a custom like that it is done without any regard for the offence it causes around the world. The people who do it love the saying "when in Rome" yet they are the first to not abide by their own saying when they are there! They do not realise how much the rest of the world has bent over backwards and bit their tongue over this strange and unique custom to mainly two countries on the planet. 

It is definitely a very dangerous game to play on a cruise ship particularly now that the international clients now make up the majority of passengers. It may not offend the crew member but it most certainly will offend fellow passengers. 

I don't feel offended if another passenger tips the driver of a tour bus, or the shuttle bus to the airport (in Australia). 

I agree with your comment about "when in Rome" that is often quoted telling people visiting North America that they should tip. BTW, in North America we follow the custom of tipping because wages for many workers are set in the expectation that customers will tip.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Some are 'born to tip' but I can understand the reason for the OP's enquiry, having been to the 'Land of the Free' a few times.  Tipping is a way of life over the Pacific.

Edited by NSWP

I'm not offended by people tipping cash on cruise ships but actually I rarely notice it.  Most people are quite discreet.  I occasionally slip a $10 note (any currency) to a favourite bar tender half way through or at the end of the cruise and we usually give something extra in an envelope at the end of the cruise to the waiters and room attendants if (as usual) they have been outstanding.  Any major currency is fine because if, for example, the ship is sailing in Australia and NZ the crew get opportunities to get off the ship and can often be seen buying things in the shops.  

I agree with the "when in Rome" sentiment, but it can be really difficult to change what is a lifetime approach.  I know how nervous I get about making sure I do the right thing in the US regarding tipping - e.g. feverishly seaching google for tipping cab drivers in NYC whilst in the cab! (amounts/percentages/how much for the bags)  🤔

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 4:52 PM, MicCanberra said:

I am giving the OP the benefit of the doubt as well. I am sure they knew tips were being done differently for cruises down under but wanted confirmation on exactly what the custom was.

The problem is that it is for cruises world wide including America that the tips are factored into the bar bill. It has been this way for major cruise lines for many decades that allow things to be charged to the account. It is clearly published on their website and in their brochures and sometimes sent in booking information.

Cash free is cash free. Doing more is unnecessary. There is even a little section on the bar bill at the bottom that allows you to increase the tip included for bar drinks if you wish so even knowing this defeats the point of asking the question.

To the people who follow the "when in Rome" philosophy, I never follow this and do things my own way. If the Romans jumped off a cliff would you jump with them? Following what other people do is not always the best way of living. 

Lastly people who often "pay cash as they go" are generally the people who will go to the pursers office and remove all the gratuities from the daily account and then go to the pursers desk and have the included gratuity removed and refunded from every drink they purchase and then not hand over anything. I cannot fathom why anyone would voluntarily pay more. That is the same as getting a cruise fare of $1500 and then paying the company $2000. Even thinking about this makes me just want to have a beer to get over the irrationality of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 4:22 PM, Brisbane41 said:

The problem is that it is for cruises world wide including America that the tips are factored into the bar bill. It has been this way for major cruise lines for many decades that allow things to be charged to the account. It is clearly published on their website and in their brochures and sometimes sent in booking information.

Cash free is cash free. Doing more is unnecessary. There is even a little section on the bar bill at the bottom that allows you to increase the tip included for bar drinks if you wish so even knowing this defeats the point of asking the question.

To the people who follow the "when in Rome" philosophy, I never follow this and do things my own way. If the Romans jumped off a cliff would you jump with them? Following what other people do is not always the best way of living. 

Lastly people who often "pay cash as they go" are generally the people who will go to the pursers office and remove all the gratuities from the daily account and then go to the pursers desk and have the included gratuity removed and refunded from every drink they purchase and then not hand over anything. I cannot fathom why anyone would voluntarily pay more. That is the same as getting a cruise fare of $1500 and then paying the company $2000. Even thinking about this makes me just want to have a beer to get over the irrationality of it.

Apparently, you have never found the benefits of tipping the bartender a $1 every time you buy a drink. Pay for a single shot, receive about 2 and a half.....LOL

3 minutes ago, Crash N Burn said:

Apparently, you have never found the benefits of tipping the bartender a $1 every time you buy a drink. Pay for a single shot, receive about 2 and a half.....LOL

No I just buy a bottle of Dom Perignon every time I get on a cruise ship and they treat me like royalty the entire time:

2016-07-30-024.JPG

14 hours ago, Crash N Burn said:

In other circumstances that might come across as bribing an employee to steal from his employer on your behalf.

I wonder if in order to make up for your free drinks the bartender then has to water the drinks for everybody else, because I suspect that somewhere in the company there is someone counting how much revenue is earned by how much booze.

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I wonder if in order to make up for your free drinks the bartender then has to water the drinks for everybody else, because I suspect that somewhere in the company there is someone counting how much revenue is earned by how much booze.

I was wondering the same thing. If you can bribe your way to an extra shot surely those in charge of cruise ship inventory would notice that spirit stocks are frequently running out while the revenue is not rising accordingly. So the only logical way for bar tenders to hide this practice is to short change passengers who don't pass the red envelope so to speak. I have seen some reviews where passengers complained about drinks they got that were weak. I thought they were being fussy but now I wonder if perhaps really their drinks were watered down😳

Edited by ilikeanswers