Saving Your Chair

MsSoCalCruiser

14 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

I carry a beach bag, so I leave that on or under my chair or lying atop the little table, and I always use my clips for the towel, so it's pretty obvious that the space is actively occupied.  If I'm going in the pool, I obviously even leave my Kindle (tucked under the towel), and it's never been a problem. 

I usually don’t carry a beach bag. I usually just carry a medium sized crossbody purse that my kindle and phone fits in.  I’m hoping this little sign will fit in there too with a clip. 

I wanted to add that the new Kindle paperwhite is waterproof and you can take it in the pool. 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

13 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I don't think it's right for someone to 'stake out' a chair in prime real estate and then go off to have breakfast.  I would think it's more polite to have your breakfast first, then go to the pool area.  There's nothing wrong with leaving something on the chair to hold it if you are going to the rest room or getting a beverage at the bar there.

I agree with you but I don’t see where the poster said anything about being at the pool. I think they were talking about breakfast at the IC.   I hope that I can leave this little sign on the table and be gone for five or 10 minutes if needed. 

1 hour ago, georgetheblue said:

I bought a “dry bag” that locks onto the chair if I need to leave for a short amount of time.  (Dry bag is a waterproof type backpack that will hold my sunscreen etc.)

Please tell me more about the dry bag, sounds interesting. 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

10 hours ago, MrPantsOz said:

I print an A4 sign to leave at the table in the buffet.

"Be back, getting food. Feel free to join me but please do not move me. Thanks!"

So far it has worked a treat.

I've decided to make this one. I don't care if someone moves the empty chair to make 3 at another table (I'm probably going to do that on my 3/22/20 cruise as I'm taking 2 little kids .... and NO they stay with me or in kids zone) or have another join me. I just try really REALLY hard to not take more than I need to eat. 

‐--‐---------‐---------------------------'

20200112_094120.thumb.jpg.9f317ca6ebf9e856d2b6a87cb3fa2226.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Leaving a sign would probably work but why bother since leaving 

a bag or book on the table when in the buffet or on a pool chair works just as well? 

I  usually do not carry a bag and I can’t tell you the last time I purchased a paperback book. I wear a crossbody purse that holds my Kindle and my phone. I’m hoping this little sign will also fit into my purse. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Leaving a sign would probably work but why bother since leaving 

a bag or book on the table when in the buffet or on a pool chair works just as well? 

I hate purses. Just use my back pocket (or front in some areas). A sign can be kept there along with my cruise card or medallion.  FWIW I have left the medallion without a problem as I don't seem to have a double 😏

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I hate purses. Just use my back pocket (or front in some areas). A sign can be kept there along with my cruise card or medallion.  FWIW I have left the medallion without a problem as I don't seem to have a double 😏

Leaving you room key on the table while your gone isn't wise. 

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Leaving you room key on the table while your gone isn't wise. 

I don't think they can figure out which room it goes too. And if they don't look like me they can't charge. So unlike my leaving my wallet to save my seat at my local coffee shop (all the cops say it bugs them but I do it anyway if going for a refill) why wouldn't it be safe?

14 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I don't think it's right for someone to 'stake out' a chair in prime real estate and then go off to have breakfast.  I would think it's more polite to have your breakfast first, then go to the pool area.  There's nothing wrong with leaving something on the chair to hold it if you are going to the rest room or getting a beverage at the bar there.

I would agree.  Or grabbing a piece of pizza or a burger and bringing it back to your chair, that only takes a minute or two, as opposed to spending a half an hour or more in the buffet.

9 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I don't think they can figure out which room it goes too. And if they don't look like me they can't charge. So unlike my leaving my wallet to save my seat at my local coffee shop (all the cops say it bugs them but I do it anyway if going for a refill) why wouldn't it be safe?

Simply because anyone who picks up you medallion can go to any board on the ship & find our your cabin number. (before you report it missing)

1 minute ago, stoneharborlady said:

I would agree.  Or grabbing a piece of pizza or a burger and bringing it back to your chair, that only takes a minute or two, as opposed to spending a half an hour or more in the buffet.

In that case you should take turns eating at the buffet with you partner so someone can hold the chair. 

Or many times just bring back a plate from the buffet. 

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

In that case you should take turns eating at the buffet with you partner so someone can hold the chair. 

You're missing the point. WHAT PARTNER? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

This thread is about those not having a partner to save the chair.  People who are traveling SOLO.

• Like 3

Just now, stoneharborlady said:

This thread is about those not having a partner to save the chair.  People who are traveling SOLO.

see above post.

I'm sure there are people sitting nearby who can help out in a pinch. 

20 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

What do you do to save your chair if you are solo (or just alone doing your own thing) when you need to take a restroom break, quickly  go and grab a snack/drink, or another plate from the buffet?  I purchased this this for my next cruise; do you think it’s ok? 

73C1A901-5777-4799-BF42-41E70A7189A4.jpeg

50 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I agree with you but I don’t see where the poster said anything about being at the pool. I think they were talking about breakfast at the IC.   I hope that I can leave this little sign on the table and be gone for five or 10 minutes if needed. 

I'm sorry if I don't understand the first post you made to start this thread, but I didn't think you were talking about reserving a chair at the IC with your sign.  It seemed to me that you were talking about leaving your sign on a chair while at poolside on lido deck not leaving it on a table at IC.  It would be a long walk to get another plate at the buffet and return to the IC with it.  Again, sorry if I got confused by your posts.

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I'm sorry if I don't understand the first post you made to start this thread, but I didn't think you were talking about reserving a chair at the IC with your sign.  It seemed to me that you were talking about leaving your sign on a chair while at poolside on lido deck not leaving it on a table at IC.  It would be a long walk to get another plate at the buffet and return to the IC with it.  Again, sorry if I got confused by your posts.

I’m sorry that I confused you.  I was talking about saving a seat. That seat could be at the pool, IC, buffet... anywhere. Another poster had mentioned having problems saving her table at the IC.  When you remarked about the pool area, I had agreed with you but stated that I didn’t see where she was saying she was at the pool.  Again, I’m sorry to have confused you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Please tell me more about the dry bag, sounds interesting. 

At Amazon by

Waterseals 27.5 in X 13.25 in, top folds over then can be locked on a chair arm. Great for using at a beach while in the water, not having to watch my stuff every minute.  Kinda hard to carry a lounger off the beach, thieves will always chose an easier target.

20 hours ago, BIG TIME CRUISER said:

Like anything else most people are afraid to move anything from a chair for fear of being yelled at.

If the sign were there for a while I'd just remove it & sit down. 

New to cruising.  And a solo traveler.   The tag is a good idea.  

What is the rule about being away from your lounger?  Is there a maximum time allowed to be away?  Isn’t their a pool attendant  that keeps track of time?  And what to do, if upon  return from a swim,  a bathroom break, or getting  some food from the snack stand,  and there is someone who has removed your belongings and in now occupying your lounger?   

Thank you for guidance.

Edited by Justalone

56 minutes ago, Justalone said:

What is the rule about being away from your lounger?  Is there a maximum time allowed to be away?  Isn’t their a pool attendant  that keeps track of time?  And what to do, if upon  return from a swim,  a bathroom break, or getting  some food from the snack stand,  and there is someone who has removed your belongings and in now occupying your lounger?   

Thank you for guidance.

They say 30 minutes is suppose to be the max time but no one even pays any attention to it. 

The pool attendants always seem to be to busy to remove anything from the chairs and they're so busy they couldn't possibly keep track of when people come & go.

If anyone is using you chair when you get back they're suppose to give the items to the attendant to hold. 

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

Thank you for guidance.

There is no time frame.

It comes down to common sense and courtesy.

The attendants (if there are any) stay away from passenger confrontations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Where do you get that she wants to save a chair and go to breakfast from those:

What do you do to save your chair if you are solo (or just alone doing your own thing) when you need to take a restroom break, quickly  go and grab a snack/drink, or another plate from the buffet?  I purchased this this for my next cruise; do you think it’s ok? 

I like your sign for chairs.  I think what irks a lot of folks are those that leave chairs for hour(s) or come out on deck at 7am and put towels on four or five chairs and then don't show up until 10 or 11am.  I always thought the ship had a deck rule that after 30 minutes, you could call the attention of a deck hand and they would remove the belongings for safe keeping.  

2 hours ago, CynCyn said:

Reading is fundamental! LOL This thread shows it!

Yes, it really does...

2 hours ago, CynCyn said:

Where do you get that she wants to save a chair and go to breakfast from those:

If you read the quote I was responding to, you would have seen it wasn't that post.  Read Post #29 again, please.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 5:56 PM, Ombud said:

I left a sweater once & someone tried to move it 😶 so I would be concerned with leaving a kindle

Sometimes I think non-Solos think we're being chair hogs but we aren't. I don't want it all day just until I'm done with breakfast in the IC. I don't go to the buffet bc it's too hard to keep my place until done (sometimes I want 2nds)

This is where I got the idea that somebody wanted to save a chair and go have breakfast at the International Café.  That was because that's what it says.  My mistake (which was clarified later) was that post was about saving her seat at the IC while she went to the counter for service.  :classic_wink: 

• Like 1