Fantastic Dessert

Daniel A

I am sailing in 9 days.  (Yaaayyy!!)  I recall seeing some posts about a year ago where posters raved about a fabulous dessert you can order that is generally not on the dessert menu but may be on a kids menu.  It might be something named like a volcano.  When I first read about it I decided I wanted to try it at least once on my next cruise.  Can you help?

Two weeks ago on the Royal I asked for Volcano and was informed it has been removed from the kids menu. If I really wanted one it they would probably make it but I had no desire to be "special" so ordered the Banana Split which they now have on the kids menu as a replacement.

Edited by snowskier

21 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

From the posts I've seen it sounded very similar to a banana split. I'll give it a shot as the Volcano. See you onboard Daniel!

Definitely called the Volcano. It's a bit on the large side. When I ordered it the wait person got a huge grin. The presentation varies depending on who prepares it. Here are a couple of examples. (Mine didn't look like either of these.)

image.png.67569c8b0deea46c22b542cd7ef78e3c.png

image.png.2b8b57bdd75ad54c1b46a052e9bda5de.png

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a banana, strawberries, vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, almonds & whip cream? Sensory overload?  I'm getting one, but, due to self imposed (and enforced by DW) dietary restrictions, I'll only get to have a bite or two.

BTW, if you ask for this, or about anything they put together, they WILL get it for you. Princess is, justifiably, proud of their service, and will go out of their way to produce special requests if possible. In fact, I know someone who asked for a dish they do make, but was not on menu that entire cruise. The said "come back here tomorrow" and it was there!

Counting the days . . . we board Grand in 28 days.  A volcano is sure to follow on the first sea day, we generally order for lunch.  

It's definitely something that needs to be shared - even together we rarely get through more than half.

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Thanks to everybody!  It looks like there is a Volcano (or two..) in my future.  Thrak:  Outstanding photos!  My Volcano won't look so pretty after I get a hold of it.  :classic_biggrin: 

Not actually my photos. I took them from another thread here on CC just to Illustrate a couple of presentations of the Volcano. I didn't take a pic of the one I had. (Heck, I didn't even own a smart phone at that time.)

On 1/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, snowskier said:

Two weeks ago on the Royal I asked for Volcano and was informed it has been removed from the kids menu.

Mercifully.  RIP Volcano.

Based on posts here, I tried the volcano once.

Huge bowl of ice cream of a quality that would be rejected by the gourmands at a five year old's birthday party.

I would certainly not eat it for flavor or enjoyment, I guess quantity is the appeal.

Simply buy this at your local walmart, and eat until nauseated.

Save the price of the cruise.

1ccd9090-90ee-4dcb-b46c-5ccdbb62a91b_2.5

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:46 PM, Daniel A said:

I am sailing in 9 days.  (Yaaayyy!!)  I recall seeing some posts about a year ago where posters raved about a fabulous dessert you can order that is generally not on the dessert menu but may be on a kids menu.  It might be something named like a volcano.  When I first read about it I decided I wanted to try it at least once on my next cruise.  Can you help?

On our last cruise last year you just had to ask tor it.

hvR0grl.jpg

f9ni1yV.jpg

Howard

• Thanks 1