Where do you eat lunch on the first day?

9 minutes ago, coachlover said:

Thank you all for the great suggestions. We'll probably eat in the Solarium. I don't see a lunch menu; however, I'm guessing it's easy to find something there to eat. 

Cheers and Happy Cruising!

yes typically more healthier options than WJ

We do the Late Breakfast thing...and then we can head to the pool, or a bar, unpack, etc....without joining into the feeding frenzy that seems to be the 1st thing everyone wants to do!  If needed, we can get a snack around 3 or so, just to tie us over until dinner.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

When we sail on embarkation day we avoid the Windjammer like the plague!!!  

If we are on an Oasis class ship we head for the Solarium Bistro, Park Cafe or Cafe Promenade.

I was on Symphony last September.  We did Windjammer that first day (not my idea) and it was a total zoo. It got to a point pretty quickly where they wouldn't admit anyone until people left.  I had read about that on CC but had never experienced it before.

That was the cruise I discovered the RB sandwiches at Park Cafe and fell in love.  I'd go there.

Our “tradition” is to go to the WJ unless we are on Oasis class in which we go to the Solarium.  I love the craziness of WJ on the first day, very entertaining to people watch😂.  Embarkation day is pretty much the only day of a cruise that we eat lunch unless there is something special going on.

Sherri🙂

We usually don't. Our usual route (since we usually have a rental car) is to grab a big, good breakfast somewhere, then drop the car off around 10am and be on the ship about 10:30-11:00am. Hit the pool, have some kind of liquid lunch (ahem) and we're good until dinner. I actually don't think we've ever eaten lunch on the ship the first day, though we've admittedly only done a small handful of cruises. 

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

Our “tradition” is to go to the WJ unless we are on Oasis class in which we go to the Solarium.  I love the craziness of WJ on the first day, very entertaining to people watch😂.  Embarkation day is pretty much the only day of a cruise that we eat lunch unless there is something special going on.

Sherri🙂

I lose my appetite people watching there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

With so many people avoiding the Windjammer, why is it always so crowded?

Exactly.

Lets hope they all keep avoiding it.

Its amazing that with everybody supposedly going to the solarium bistro or park cafe they aren’t crowded also.

There really is no right or wrong whichever works for you.

We have never had an issue are usually in the Windjammer by about 11.30 when every is excellent and fresh.

Many healthy options are available if that’s what you like and we’ve found it pretty empty for the first hour or so.

The roast beef carvery that is normally served on embarkation we have always found to be superb.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

With so many people avoiding the Windjammer, why is it always so crowded?

Because CC is just a small fraction of the cruise population.  There are also those who love buffets and cruise with that in mind. At one time Princess had a 24 hour buffet. People went into hysterics on that board when they decided to close it at 11:00 pm.  People would post, "I am Hypoglycemic and need a Chocolate Chip cookie at 3:00am". It took every ounce of strength not to call them out and say, "You have an eating disorder".  If you really need the sugar pack some candy or bring something back to the room early before it closes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our cruise is in 12 days and as Diamond for the first time, I am anticipating boarding slightly ahead of the crowd and head to the WJ.   This worked for us on our last cruise when we were Platinum.   However, if there is a line to get in, it will be any other option.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 2:45 PM, WI-Cruiser said:

If an Oasis class I recommend going to the Park Cafe and avoid the Windjammer crowds.  If the Solarium Cafe is open that's also a great option.

We also like the Solarium Cafe and the Park Cafe on Oasis. The Wndjammer is just too crowded. We don't mind the Windjammer on the smaller ships.

(BTW, we are MCPO and CPO couple).

T

On 1/26/2020 at 2:26 PM, coachlover said:

Hi,

There are so many choices! Just wondering where is your fav spot to eat for lunch and what do you order? 

Coastal Kitchen when we can 😉

Margherita flatbread and Grilled chicken sandwich. 

But first an adult beverage

20200112_120416.thumb.jpg.381b743a44eb35a09c549a2af7e35792.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drock20J said:

The last 3 cruises have been on an Oasis class, so we go straight to Park Cafe and enjoy the Kommelwerk!

Cooked to death when we were on in January.😥

Staff said that's the way passengers like it. 😱

1 hour ago, 2chiefs said:

We also like the Solarium Cafe and the Park Cafe on Oasis. The Wndjammer is just too crowded. We don't mind the Windjammer on the smaller ships.

(BTW, we are MCPO and CPO couple).

T

You can expect a chief to know the best places to eat or drink.....

We go to the 'jamma. Have done so every cruise since our first in 2007 and don't plan to quit.  It's a rite of beginning that says the cruise has begun. It's crowded [usually], food is not the greatest, but I wouldn't miss it.

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Cooked to death when we were on in January.😥

Staff said that's the way passengers like it. 😱

Those passengers are wrong! It was cooked nicely for us. A little skimpy on the portion size, but still yummy!

• Thanks 1