HAL's Poor Response to Corona Virus

USN59-79

1 hour ago, Minoushka said:

With this virus being as virulent as it is why are people still debatinggoing to Asia ??even if it costsyou $$$ your life is worth more than that ....cancel your cruise now is not the time to be in Asia .even if you could go  there ..no guarantees you will be able to go home after your cruise depending on how far this  illness spreads many airports are closed to anyone near infected areas or potential danger zones ...now what ??

if Cruise lines will not cancel until last  minute time for you to take action before you do the wrong thing 

i love cruising the thoughtof not cruising for the next few months because of this is very tough ...noSpring break or Spring cruise ...no place is really safe at this time ....not even sure about summer or fall ....

ships should getaway from region ...let China control this disease ...keep your pax safe 

cruise lines should do the right thing get your ships out untilthis thing isresolved ...

I think HAL will take Westy out of the Asia market. There's no point with so many ports unavailable. I have no idea where they will go, but they have two weeks with the ship empty, which means they can think farther out than the next ten minutes. Instead of a mad scramble, they can make an organized plan. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I think HAL will take Westy out of the Asia market. There's no point with so many ports unavailable. I have no idea where they will go, but they have two weeks with the ship empty, which means they can think farther out than the next ten minutes. Instead of a mad scramble, they can make an organized plan. 

The problem is this virus is moving around the world.  Just saw a piece on CNN about cases in the UK.  Cruise lines need to plan months ahead, so anywhere they move a ship might also have an issue in a few weeks/months.   Japan also has cabotage laws which apparently require cruise ships to stop at a foreign port (usually Korea or Russia) so this might cause issues if ships just wanted to limit themselves to Japanese ports.  There are also logistical issues with supplies, airlines, etc.  And now there are new issues with crews.  For example, more then 100 crew members on the Diamond Princess have been begging their home government to get them off the ship and home.  A true mess for the travel industry and world.

Hank

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The good news is I heard on the morning news (Dr.Oz) that there should be a vaccine by next winter.   

This sounds reasonably accurate, but a minimum. According to the 'Economist' podcast, a minimum of one year will be required to complete all human testing once a vaccine is developed.

Just saw on Facebook that Deputy prime minister in Thailand will not allow the Westerdam to dock in his country.   This is not good news for the souls on board if true.  I'm sure that a lot  of them have already booked flights home.  Such an awful situation to be in.  Dreadful thought but maybe it would have been better to have one suspected case and then the ship could have been quarantined somewhere like the Diamond princess has been.  It seems the Westerdam is doomed to stay at sea.

2 minutes ago, millie-may said:

Just saw on Facebook that Deputy prime minister in Thailand will not allow the Westerdam to dock in his country.   This is not good news for the souls on board if true.  I'm sure that a lot  of them have already booked flights home.  Such an awful situation to be in.  Dreadful thought but maybe it would have been better to have one suspected case and then the ship could have been quarantined somewhere like the Diamond princess has been.  It seems the Westerdam is doomed to stay at sea.

If that is the case then HAL should bring  the ship to Hawaii  imo  & have our medical CDC experts do all the testing ,so the pax can disembark 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

If that is the case then HAL should bring  the ship to Hawaii  imo  & have our medical CDC experts do all the testing ,so the pax can disembark 

I agree completely.  At this point, with all of the disappointments, not knowing, stress and anxiety that go with it, it is time for HAL to get these folks ashore somewhere instead of continuing to try to take them where they are not wanted.  I really feel for the passengers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Taters said:

I agree completely.  At this point, with all of the disappointments, not knowing, stress and anxiety that go with it, it is time for HAL to get these folks ashore somewhere instead of continuing to try to take them where they are not wanted.  I really feel for the passengers.

HAL needs to get the pax off the ship asap before  any potential for long term depression & anxiety set in  .

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 1:10 PM, kazu said:

The Costa and RCi cruises which were cancelled were leaving earlier than the HAL cruise of Feb. 1.  

I would expect there to be an announcement after WHO has had their meeting today.

Along with health concerns and doctor visits, another avenue for travel insurance is if there are warning issued.  If the warning is severe enough, you are covered under your travel insurance.

(

This is a good time for everyone to really review their travel insurance policies.

LIke Vict0riann, I’m concerned about those onboard right now.  With China closing so many places and tourist attractions, the Westerdam, it’s crew and passengers are facing a number of challenges.  I hope they are all safe.

How can it be possible cruise lines do not have insurance coverage for situations  like this?   Maybe not exact conitions butr situations where the cruise line, through no fault of theirs must cancel itineraries, must quarantine guests under order from foreign ports?    It  does  not seem likely to me that with all the typed of insurance we know they have, that this  event would  not b e covered.    IF, IF< IF   they will successfully submit a claim to such insurance, and they ( as they likely  are legally entitled )  hold guests in position of losing their fares,  and  in many cases , high sums of money.    IT would seem so wrong, if the cruise lines Collect insurance but still fail to refund to the guests who  'might ' be the ones to lose commentsorately   the most  What do you think?

Are cruise lines insured for this sort of  horror  show?

On 2/6/2020 at 5:49 PM, sail7seas said:

🤷‍♀️🙉Given the statement, westerdam  has no where to  go that will. accept the ship, where s?

go to Hawaii or Alaska.  BETTER Yet.  Really bring her home  to Seattle.   🙂

To the   home of HAL!

I think   I would fly to Seattle to see her sail in and CHEER !

How many days in decent sea conditions, should it  usually  take to sail from Japan   to  Seattle ( roughly)?

tp  =  toilet  paper

Edited by sail7seas

25 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

To the   home of HAL!

I thought of this, too.  

Westerdam moves from Japan to Vancouver at the end of the season anyhow, so why not Seattle now?

That would be so nice to see. 

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

I thought of this, too.  

Westerdam moves from Japan to Vancouver at the end of the season anyhow, so why not Seattle now?

That would be so nice to see. 

I hope Captain  gives  a  Very long toot, toot toot to the PM when  the ship leaves.  Thank him for japan's  lack of  hospitality.   Groan

26 minutes ago, ted144 said:

4800 miles to Seattle. Maybe 10 days. Don’t think that’s a choice. 

All they need is to refuel and resupply.  Nobody has to get off.  Though it probably does need to offload trash.

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

(

How can it be possible cruise lines do not have insurance coverage for situations  like this?   Maybe not exact conitions butr situations where the cruise line, through no fault of theirs must cancel itineraries, must quarantine guests under order from foreign ports?    It  does  not seem likely to me that with all the typed of insurance we know they have, that this  event would  not b e covered.    IF, IF< IF   they will successfully submit a claim to such insurance, and they ( as they likely  are legally entitled )  hold guests in position of losing their fares,  and  in many cases , high sums of money.    IT would seem so wrong, if the cruise lines Collect insurance but still fail to refund to the guests who  'might ' be the ones to lose commentsorately   the most  What do you think?

Are cruise lines insured for this sort of  horror  show?

In its financial reporting, Carnival Corp states that it does not carry insurance coverage related to loss of earnings or revenues from its ships or other operations.  

To the   home of HAL!

Isn't her home the Netherlands? 

To the   home of HAL!

I'll be at the dock!  Sentimental value too, the Westerdam was my very first cruise ever, not just with HAL.

4 hours ago, millie-may said:

Dreadful thought but maybe it would have been better to have one suspected case and then the ship could have been quarantined somewhere like the Diamond princess has been. 

Are you serious????

Quarantined to your cabin versus being out and about and having drinks, whatever?

While I don’t envy anyone’s situation right now, there is no question that the passengers on the Westerdam are much better off than those on Diamond Princess who are getting sicker (most likely by the containment according to a couple of theories I’ve heard) by the minute.

Hopefully things work out for the Westerdam quickly and all of our friends on board.

• Like 6