Checking in at port question

rs45thompson

For my sailing out of NYC last month everyone I saw was using a printed e-Doc to be allow past the initial gatekeeper and on to the check-in lines.  Once at the check in counter, they needed a photo ID but the cruise docs were never referenced again from what I can remember.

3 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

For my sailing out of NYC last month everyone I saw was using a printed e-Doc to be allow past the initial gatekeeper and on to the check-in lines.  Once at the check in counter, they needed a photo ID but the cruise docs were never referenced again from what I can remember.

Thank you for the quick response. We are leaving out of Port Canaveral but I imagine it’s the same.

Edited by rs45thompson
  • Like 1

I didn't have my edocs with me on my first cruise.  For some reason my name didn't come up in their system but they were able to find my reservation because I had my cabin #.  So I was able to get onboard without them but I wouldn't recommend it.  So yes, you could probably get by with showing it on your phone but a printed copy would eliminate any doubt.

Also if you are taking a NCL shuttle make sure you have that info available.  The greeters at the airport should have the information but I wasn't on their list one time and would have had to pay (again) if I hadn't had the info in the edoc.

we didn't board until 2pm-ish in Barcelona, so there was NO ONE in line.  We just walked up to the counter, reached for our Edocs and they said ' don't bother, we can find you in the system".  So we just handed them our passports and that was the end of it.   Maybe it depends on how busy they are .....

The first page of the edocs is your ticket. You should have a printed copy of that page to get through the rent-a-cop security at the port. 

You “should” be able to use your phone, but reception in some terminals is poor and there are a lot of people surfing, killing time before boarding. 

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

Also if you are taking a NCL shuttle make sure you have that info available.  The greeters at the airport should have the information but I wasn't on their list one time and would have had to pay (again) if I hadn't had the info in the edoc.

Sometimes you get charged even if you DO have the docs.  I was, took THREE DAYS with a visit to GS each day to get it resolved even though it was acknowledged on the first visit that I was wrongfully charged and it should be reversed.

I’m so paranoid about not be allowed on the ship, I print EVERYTHING. LOL.I end up with a file folder that’s an inch thick but I sleep better the night before getting on the ship knowing my file is ready to go. Funny thing is, I’m not like this in my everyday life, well, for the most part I’m not. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, rs45thompson said:

Thank you for the quick response. We are leaving out of Port Canaveral but I imagine it’s the same.

It is the same at PC.  I would print the summary page for the gatekeeper at top of escalator and the rest you can have handy on your phone if needed.  I didn’t need it all. 

People mention alot about using phone...I personally am a "what if" kind of person. I print everything! What happens if you cannot access the things you need on your phone, when you need them...whether wi-fi/data connection issues, phone breaks, the scanner doesn't scan a bar code correctly, etc. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 12:49 PM, MrsKC08 said:

People mention alot about using phone...I personally am a "what if" kind of person. I print everything! What happens if you cannot access the things you need on your phone, when you need them...whether wi-fi/data connection issues, phone breaks, the scanner doesn't scan a bar code correctly, etc. 

the scanner doesn't scan a bar code correctly

While you may be able to spread that bar code with your finger(s) to a readable mode

consider scanning it in the vertical mode to make it easier to read  - - -

Turn the phone 90 degrees to have more working room i.e. Landscape mode

Watching the timing in how long the phone screen stays on - just when you need to scan - oops it turned off !