Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

10 minutes ago, Caymus88 said:

Looks like a completely new ship except for the hull

I don't think so. The RFP says:

"The company has detailed the areas and requirements for cleaning and disinfecting which include, but are not limited to, the following locations and all surfaces"

They are not replacing areas like the Medical Center, they are just cleaning and disinfecting them. The ship is scheduled to be back in service by the end of April and they cannot rebuild the ship in that timeframe.

Edited by bluesea321

9 minutes ago, Caymus88 said:

Looks like a completely new ship except for the hull

I read the proposal a bit differently.  This is the only remove and replace line:

Staterooms: the removal and proper disposal of all towels (bath, face, hand), bed linens, mattress pads, pillows, duvets, shower curtains, and mattresses

The rest are merely clean and sanitize.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

I didn't keep complete check of the dates but I know the Australians got their results on the ship on the Feb 19th the day they were meant to leave. They said day 15 on their blog - but may be you know the day the quarantine was started to check that out. If the people talking about what was happening are correct then the 7 Australians did complete their quarantine time before leaving the ship and becoming positive.   I have been following this lovely family and hoping for the best outcome possible for them.

Technically they only completed their quarantine if the MHW cleared them to walk off as released under their process.  None of those that were transferred to other countries were cleared under MHW, they were instead transferred to their home countries.  As of this time only one person has been tested as positive after completing the MHW process and released.

47 minutes ago, npcl said:

I read the proposal a bit differently.  This is the only remove and replace line:

Staterooms: the removal and proper disposal of all towels (bath, face, hand), bed linens, mattress pads, pillows, duvets, shower curtains, and mattresses

The rest are merely clean and sanitize.

That's how I read it also. It would take years to rebuild the ship.

If we're sharing news articles - here's one with more details about the evac flight to the U.S. Some new details and photos here, including information about life vests and toilets. 

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/flying-coronavirus-class-photos-of-americans-flight-from-hell/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

9 hours ago, itsallaboutmememe said:

yet another link that can’t be viewed unless one pays

You may need to clear your cookies or browse in private mode. Here is a list of the most popular browsers. If your browser is not listed Google the browser name with the question how to remove cookies.

For Firefox:

Clear cookies and site data in Firefox

Private Browsing - Use Firefox without saving history

For Micrisoft Edge:

How to clear cache and cookies on Microsoft Edge

Browse InPrivate in Microsoft Edge

For Safari:

How to Delete Cookies and Stored Website Data in Safari

How to turn on private browsing on a Mac computer in Safari

For Chrome:

Clear Cookies in Chrome

Browse In Private

For Opera:

How to Clear Cookies

How To Open Private Window

• Like 1

transferI have no proof one way or another but this is how I think things occurred and why State overruled CDC.

State put together an agreement with Japan to take responsibility for US citizens that had not tested positive and to transfer them out of the country by air.

At this time testing was certainly not completed.

a roster was assembled of those not yet tested positive and that wanted to leave.

this roster would have had to be approved by both countries.

the plan was executed the approved passengers were loaded on the buses and taken to the airport.

At sometime during this process custody would transfer from Japan to the US.

Sometime during this process notification occred about the additional positive results. Certainly at that point the CDCs position was that they could not board the plane. However at that time the list was agreed to and any changes would also require Japans agreement.

If Japan was not willing to take those back then States only choice would have been to over rule CDC and execute the agreement, or to stop the process and continue to negotiate with Japan to take them back. I suspect from the several hour delay that State did try to negotiate, prior to over ruling the CDC.

After all what else could they do leave them on the tarmac.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The International Transport Federation [ITF] are reporting that all crew will leave Diamond Princess & return home after all passengers have left the vessel.

A new minimum manning crew are to take over the ship.  The relief master is already in Yokohama awaiting instructions to join.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sppunk said:

They have to stay so many meters away just like on DP. 

On the Diamond, after the passengers had their deck time, staff worked to kill any virus germs that may have been left on railings and other things that may have been touched.

Is this same type of sanitation activity being done at the Canadian facility?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cruisinwithagoodbook said:

There is more to the story.

Princess had taken samples to test. Since the couple had not heard back that they were tested positive, they assumed that they were negative.

That is what they meant when saying they "made up" the story they were negative. Absence of bad news meant good news to them.

The fourteen people who were positive, but did not learn about it until after they had been on the buses, were put on the buses because they also were assumed to be negative since there was no positive results communicated before exiting the ship.

Certain those who planned the evacuation to the USA did not require test results to be available before allowing the passengers to leave the ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, npcl said:

t

If Japan was not willing to take those back then States only choice would have been to over rule CDC and execute the agreement, or to stop the process and continue to negotiate with Japan to take them back. I suspect from the several hour delay that State did try to negotiate, prior to over ruling the CDC.

"If Japan was not willing" is a long stretch just to justify decisions of unprofessionals in the admistration to overrule professional CDC experts.

Japan had already taken 600+ people in hospitals. Both before and after. There is no reasonable rationalization to believe that they will oddly refuse only this 14 people. "Paperwork was already done" is a very weak excuse against possibility of exposing so many other US citizens.

Most probably delay was not in negotiating with Japan and then losing that negotiation but in arguing with CDC and then overruling them.

11 hours ago, chipmaster said:

So if you were on the cruise and the minute "Princess " found out would you have been livid if they locked you down right away versus let you party away for the last night going to shows, eating and smoozing in the elevators with COVID-19 spreaders?

Of course if they implemented the quarantine earlier, likely there would have been what maybe 1/2 the number of cases because the whole cruise was a spreading situation.

I think most cruisers would have been up in arms complaining, so Princess did the logical thing, in absence of data, do the minimum and only act when the government demanded and we know how efficient and decisive governments are in making decisions, only China and dictatorships can make decisions quickly.

Honestly .. I would have wanted to know the minute they discovered the passenger who had been onboard was tested positive. I would have wanted quarantine to prevent the spread of the virus ... but.. on finding out that crew were among those tested positive I would have been extremely worried and wanted to get off the ship and quarantine on land .. preferably in my home country.  Of course the numbers effected prevented this.  The logistics of doing all the tests and waiting for the results prevented the ‘ideal’.  So .. and this was my point .. I don’t want to be on a ship while the risk of this virus exists.  I don’t want to be one of thousands and not in control of my own health and treatment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hal2008 said:

"If Japan was not willing" is a long stretch just to justify decisions of unprofessionals in the admistration to overrule professional CDC experts.

Japan had already taken 600+ people in hospitals. Both before and after. There is no reasonable rationalization to believe that they will oddly refuse only this 14 people. "Paperwork was already done" is a very weak excuse against possibility of exposing so many other US citizens.

Most probably delay was not in negotiating with Japan and then losing that negotiation but in arguing with CDC and then overruling them.

I don't think it's that cut and dry.  We did see that many subsequent country repatriation/evac efforts were significantly delayed while they waited longer to confirm every single passenger was negative (though I think we can all argue about what good a negative test is worth given all the +s that are now popping up)-- and even still many of those planes had carriers on board.

We don't know who was negotiating with who during that extremely long delay (while the negative testers were sharing a very small confine of a bus with the positive testers) or what was going on, but we do know about the same time (or shortly thereafter) the Abel's were told they were + but had to stay on the ship because there was no hospital that could take them, and the lovely Australian family were told the same thing-- so it's very possible that Japan said either we can't take them at all or we can't take them now and Princess also couldn't/wouldn't take them either.  Another angle that hasn't been discussed is it's one thing to say "they can't get on the flight" it's an entirely different thing to get terrified exhausted Americans to agree to disembark the bus and leave their loved ones behind to face their fate in a Japanese hospital without a lot of hysteria and possible use of force and they may not have been equipped to do so.  Has anybody ever seen those videos of commercial airlines having to try to drag bumped passengers from their seats? Like that times a million, on foreign soil.

Again, I'm not excusing the fact that nobody thought through this possibility or had a contingency plan or why they got started before actually seeing the test results-- but I don't think it was just a matter of "screw the CDC, let's take them all."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

With the evacuation flights from China that multiple countries did (including the US) just a few weeks earlier there was no pre-testing of the passengers.  Any one with symptoms was required to stay back but anyone without symptoms was able to fly. 

The Canadian government said part of their concern with bringing back anyone that was infected was in part the risk their condition would worse quickly during the 10-12 hour flight and if they could be effectively cared for en-route.  These flights are going over Russia, the north Pacific, Alaska and Northern Canada. There are not very many places to land if they need to transfer someone into a hospital.  

Likely the same questions were being considered on the US side.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

Honestly .. I would have wanted to know the minute they discovered the passenger who had been onboard was tested positive. I would have wanted quarantine to prevent the spread of the virus ... but.. on finding out that crew were among those tested positive I would have been extremely worried and wanted to get off the ship and quarantine on land .. preferably in my home country.  Of course the numbers effected prevented this.  The logistics of doing all the tests and waiting for the results prevented the ‘ideal’.  So .. and this was my point .. I don’t want to be on a ship while the risk of this virus exists.  I don’t want to be one of thousands and not in control of my own health and treatment. 

Hard to disagree with any of this.  We are booked on a Celebrity cruise out of Italy for summer and basically trying to decide if we cancel and lose the deposit or wait to see if the situation improves (it's extremely unlikely it will resolve).  On the one hand, I don't think being on a ship is THAT much riskier than being at a hotel or going to a convention, South Korea seems to be spreading fastest through churches 😮 -- to me the risk factor that makes our vacation scary is finding yourself in a country where you don't speak the language far from your family, doctors, etc.  Also, if I'm going to be quarantined with my kids, I'd rather it be in our house than a hotel/stateroom.

• Like 1

For me it’s more about the numbers involved.  Suddenly you are in a group of thousands and not an individual.  We have always cruised aware that we are putting ourselves at risk of contacting illness but this virus is new and life threatening demanding testing and quarantine.  
Makes me wonder what happened back in the day of SARS .. how did the cruise industry cope with that outbreak.  

off to do some research.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/reports-publications/canada-communicable-disease-report-ccdr/monthly-issue/2005-31/8-statement-on-cruise-ship-travel/statement-on-cruise-ship-travel.html

this article touches on SARS but includes all illnesses typically reported at sea with advice for travellers.  Really have to consider how to take extra precautions when travelling in such confined spaces with large numbers of people.