Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

8 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Would you be moving into a cabin just vacated by an infected person? 

Most of the posters here do not want to take cruise on ANY ship ANYWHERE in Asia!!!!

Just put yourself in shoes of that semi-educated crew member.

You are in foreign country. Alone.

Have seen people getting sick for 15 days and now you will be jailed for another 14 days in an infected cabin.

Princess need to get them off the ship and put in some hostel/hotel at least.

If pax can get off, why not crew?

"Paid vacation" is when you get same pay as you would get during your normal work.

Contractual minimum gurantee of base pay and minimum gratuity does not equal to normal pay.

In normal work environment, employer would have been sued for forceful involuntary endangerment.

(with compensation lot more than contractual minimum)

Really?🙄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pushka said:

And just this morning another two positives. Up to six. They only arrived Thursday morning. 

Yes, and based on everything we know about the transmission of this virus, it would be almost impossible for it to show up positive within the first few days of exposure-- so it is unlikely they got it in transit...  I suppose maybe it's fast enough if the virus spread right as they headed for the airport...but even still that means there are at least a few infected among all the people "confirmed healthy" with a single negative test that Japan saw fit to release back into it's mass transit, airports, and train stations.

Just now, JennAngel9 said:

Yes, and based on everything we know about the transmission of this virus, it would be almost impossible for it to show up positive within the first few days of exposure-- so it is unlikely they got it in transit...  I suppose maybe it's fast enough if the virus spread right as they headed for the airport...but even still that means there are at least a few infected among all the people "confirmed healthy" with a single negative test that Japan saw fit to release back into it's mass transit, airports, and train stations.

She reported becoming unwell during the actual flight so clearly was infected on the ship even though at disembarkation she had a negative result. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

She reported becoming unwell during the actual flight so clearly was infected on the ship even though at disembarkation she had a negative result. 

Which calls into question the reliability of the testing being done.  I assume the swab sample was taken well before disembarkation, since it takes some to get results.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

Oh yes, I'm strongly agreeing with you.  I think the only two possibilities are: (1) transmission throughout the quarantine (lots of evidence for this, suggesting people are still at risk as the get off) or (2) even longer incubation period than we thought (some evidence of nearly 3 week incubation period have been discussed by legitimate epidemiologists looking at the data, but I don't think it's generally accepted).  

I just assume some folks here will say "they must have got it in the air!" not being familiar with the fact that almost nobody gets a positive test within the first several days.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pushka said:

We heard this from work colleagues the other day but wasn’t able to say anything but  today this announcement is positive for a vaccine. 

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/uq-researchers-create-first-coronavirus-vaccine-candidate/news-story/e3894393c86448e0eeb8de391567dfa2

That’s certainly promising news since until there is a reliable and safe vaccine in place, numerous countries, businesses (travel being one - especially cruising)  is going to go into a gradual slow/shut down with it causing so much hardship for numerous millions of people - both directly by the virus and with the economic slowdown caused by it.

I know we have been told it could take 18 months before any suitable vaccine is readily available but If I was a gambling man (which I am not), I would bet that a working vaccine will being distributed before the end of the year.

35 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

It won't go anywhere.  Because the various organizations will go their experts and go, yo, are the Japanese horribly mismanaging them? 

And the experts will go, uuuh, no?  

And that will be the end of that.

Why do you say that the Japanese are horribly mismanaging them.  To put this is perspective if you look at the Chinese experience on death rate by age group and apply it to the number of ill passengers from the Diamond.  Only looking at those that showed symptoms you would get an expectation of 2-3 deaths in the 60-69 age rage, 6-7 in the 70-80 range and 5 in the 80+ range.  So far there have been 2 in the 80+ plus.  There are currently 27 in serious/critical condition.  Less than the expected 50 that would be expected out of the 276 showing symptoms using the numbers coming out of China.

So it appears that the Japanese are performing a reasonable level of care, even if it doesn't rise of the level of the CC critics.

If one reads the reports from the 19 Feb field briefing.  The data also tends to show that as far as the quarantine is concerned it seems to have worked better than many on here thought.  Keeping in mind that there are different cohorts.  When one looks at Cohort 1 Passengers with no one developing symptoms in the same cabin. The numbers did drop off prior to the end of Quarantine.  In Cohort 2 Those passengers in cabin with others developing symptoms their quarantine was extended.  Cohort 3 - Crew, who was not in isolation also is now going through new quarantine period  in isolation.

As was said in one of the WHO briefings they needed to develop Cohorts in order to get them off the ship sometime. 

The space on the ship and the operations of it, did not allow sufficient space to fully isolate the crew, while the passengers were on board.  The prioritization of the passengers, certainly is key when one considers the demographics by age and the response to the illness by the different age groups. Most of the crew are in the under 50 age rage where the fatality rate more closely resembles the flu.

Notice that the US arranged its flights to bring people home to allow the US to put is relatively small number of passengers, a few hundred, into spaces that have been cleared by the early returnees being released after their quarantine period.  I do not believe that the timing was accidental, since the US only arranged for a capacity of 500 quarantine beds from the military.

The number of patients that the Japanese are caring for from the Diamond are already stretching their isolation capacity with them only have 200-300 institutions set up to deal with type 1 or type 2 isolation cases. With very limited number of beds at each of those.  It is why you are seeing infected Diamond passengers being spread out pretty much across the country instead of all being kept in the Yokohama/Tokyo area.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Pushka said:

We heard this from work colleagues the other day but wasn’t able to say anything but  today this announcement is positive for a vaccine. 

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/uq-researchers-create-first-coronavirus-vaccine-candidate/news-story/e3894393c86448e0eeb8de391567dfa2

There are several candidates out there. Very easy to design a candidate.  A lot do not make it through the trials and actually become a vaccine though.  Even if one of the current candidates work out a vaccine would not be available until early 2021 at best.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Digjharper said:

That’s certainly promising news since until there is a reliable and safe vaccine in place, numerous countries, businesses (travel being one - especially cruising)  is going to go into a gradual slow/shut down with it causing so much hardship for numerous millions of people - both directly by the virus and with the economic slowdown caused by it.

I know we have been told it could take 18 months before any suitable vaccine is readily available but If I was a gambling man (which I am not), I would bet that a working vaccine will being distributed before the end of the year.

I would take that bet in almost any level bet you would care to bet.  At best there might be large stage 3 trails, but not availability outside of trial populations.  Since you are dealing with a vaccine you need to run stage 3 trails in a large population where you can compare the results to  non-vaccinated populations to evaluate effectiveness.

I’m curious if cabin mates of someone that tested negative were allowed to go to their home countries to quarantine and if what we are seeing in the positives we’re cabin mates of someone that tested positive on the ship.

I’ve been watching an Australian family on twitter. They were in an inside cabin (mom, dad, teen son and pre-teen daughter). They were set to go to Australia when their daughter (but no one else in the cabin) tested positive. 

They appear to be quarantined in hospital but their daughter is in isolation on a different floor. That has to be terrifying for them all. I know my preteen would fake bravery but be terrified to be all alone. And language barriers seem to be adding on to the situation.

Hopefully she tests negative soon and can reunite with them.

4 hours ago, npcl said:

I would take that bet in almost any level bet you would care to bet.  At best there might be large stage 3 trails, but not availability outside of trial populations.  Since you are dealing with a vaccine you need to run stage 3 trails in a large population where you can compare the results to  non-vaccinated populations to evaluate effectiveness.

I am not a medical expert but I think you will find any vaccine that is showing to be promising might be released before it’s completed the normal procedure, which as you state, can take many months to fully evaluate.

Basically same situation happened with the Ebola virus, testing of the vaccine and the final release of same.

https://jme.bmj.com/content/44/1/3

Edited by Digjharper

So why only 32 Brits onboard the flight back.   Where have the rest gone?  Originally It was stated some 70 Brits on the ship.  I know a couple from US refused to board their flight back and are now wondering freely in Japan.  Surely Brits have more sense than this.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

So why only 32 Brits onboard the flight back.   Where have the rest gone?  Originally It was stated some 70 Brits on the ship.  I know a couple from US refused to board their flight back and are now wondering freely in Japan.  Surely Brits have more sense than this.  

I want to know that as well. We sent over a 747 plane with room for what, 400 and all we get is 32 (and that included some "EU" citizens). Were perhaps some of them crew and not allowed to travel but HAD to stay on ship to get their 2 months extra pay?

The couple on honeymoon who got split were reunited and on the flight so not included in the 4 positive cases.  David and Sally Abel count for two of the four ... but that still leaves a lot not accounted for.  There was a long ‘logistical’ delay.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seapals2 said:

The couple on honeymoon who got split were reunited and on the flight so not included in the 4 positive cases.  David and Sally Abel count for two of the four ... but that still leaves a lot not accounted for.  There was a long ‘logistical’ delay.  

Found this quote from an itv news article.  

It is understood some British nationals who are part of the Diamond Princess crew opted to remain.

Some British nationals who were passengers did not register for the flight. It is understood some have returned to their homes overseas, while a number boarded an evacuation flight to Hong Kong where they live.

The four Britons on board the Diamond Princess who have tested positive for coronavirus were not on the flight.

On 2/20/2020 at 5:07 PM, LizNeedsAVacation said:

Was she in a guest cabin or is she officially crew? I’m just curious. And I’m wondering if that is a sign that at least some countries brought how crew members.

She was a contracted lecturer (has been same on Diamond Princess before; her next contract is on Celebrity.)  She was in crew quarters and dined in either the crew mess or officer's mess.  

She said that guest meals were all brought to their staterooms.  I can't even imagine that undertaking!  Folks who booked balconies must have been so thankful to be able to get fresh air.  

10 minutes ago, Maya1234 said:

David Abel’s son reported this morning that Princess got his parents a phone with a SIM card and service in Japan. That’s pretty impressive. Princess definitely seems to be doing its best from a PR front given the situation. 

Do you have a link for source?

55 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so, have all passengers disembarked from the ship and now the staff and crew are undergoing their own 14 day quarantine ?

I would like to know this as well.  This is all I can see in recent news, which focuses on the ship:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-struck-cruise-ship-is-being-cleaned-before-next-trip-2020-2