Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

1 minute ago, kathy49 said:

this is unbelievable...the passengers still are only being told 20. If this new total is correct clearly many were infected from contact over the last two weeks...what a horrific situation and passengers are not being told.

I don't think we can assume that these people became infected while in quarantine. The 41 new cases reported could have become infected while the original virus-carrier (an 80 year-old man who disembarked in Hong Kong) was on the ship. Maybe the tests done on all the passengers and crew have only now shown up as positive. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Apparently someone posted a photo of the wine that was delivered to their cabin.🙂 I think it would be a smart move for the ship to deliver wine or other alcoholic drinks (in limited quantities) to every cabin as requested. It would help dull the pain.

Truth!!

15 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Australian ABC news has this report

Diamond Princess cruise ship reports dozens of new coronavirus cases

Posted 8 minutes ago

Forty-one new coronavirus infections have been confirmed on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked at Yokohama, according to Japan’s health ministry. 

It brings the total number of confirmed cases on board to 61.

This “total number of cases on board” phrasing is misleading, as infected passengers are removed from the ship and transported to hospitals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think we can assume that these people became infected while in quarantine. The 41 new cases reported could have become infected while the original virus-carrier (an 80 year-old man who disembarked in Hong Kong) was on the ship. Maybe the tests done on all the passengers and crew have only now shown up as positive. 

they are only on day 2 of quarantine..I don't think all can be traced to the 80 year old guy...they did say he was using the pool and people were in there with him...

4 minutes ago, perditax said:

This “total number of cases on board” phrasing is misleading, as infected passengers are removed from the ship and transported to hospitals.

Agreed. ABC News reporting "confirmed cases on board to 61" maybe should have been worded "confirmed cases who have contacted the virus on board the ship is now 61". The end result is the same, even though the original 20 infected people have already gone to hospital.

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. ABC News reporting "confirmed cases on board to 61" maybe should have been worded "confirmed cases who have contacted the virus on board the ship is now 61". The end result is the same, even though the original 20 infected people have already gone to hospital.

I just feel like some people will get the impression that the other passengers are being forced to stay on some sort of plague ship with infected folks in the next cabin over.

Just now, perditax said:

I just feel like some people will get the impression that the other passengers are being forced to stay on some sort of plague ship with infected folks in the next cabin over.

I see your point. I imagine that these cases of the virus will also be transported to hospital. My heart goes out to them. I cannot imagine how they are feeling.

Yes. Just read 41 NEW positive tests. This will swamp their medical system too. Surely the Aussies when they finally get off will then have to go to CI. And I heard today, goodness knows if true, that the 14 day period will be extended. 

32 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

they are only on day 2 of quarantine..I don't think all can be traced to the 80 year old guy...they did say he was using the pool and people were in there with him...

This is more from the report about the 41 extra cases on the Diamond Princess. This indicates that these people have not become infected during the quarantine period.

As Japanese health officials concluded the screening of the 273 passengers potentially exposed to the virus, they said that 61 had tested positive. The passengers were removed from the ship and taken to medical facilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

This is more from the report about the 41 extra cases on the Diamond Princess. This indicates that these people have not become infected during the quarantine period.

As Japanese health officials concluded the screening of the 273 passengers potentially exposed to the virus, they said that 61 had tested positive. The passengers were removed from the ship and taken to medical facilities.

I don't quite understand the Japanese statement...273 passengers potentially exposed...I guess I thought that potentially every passenger could have been exposed during the 2 week cruise that was coming to an end?

Just now, kathy49 said:

I don't quite understand the Japanese statement...273 passengers potentially exposed...I guess I thought that potentially every passenger could have been exposed during the 2 week cruise that was coming to an end?

Maybe the 273 were people who they identified as sharing a dining table or in some other way were close to the man who brought the virus on board. (Sorry to word it like that, but I don't know how else to put it.) In the first lot of ten there was one crew member. He might have been the steward servicing the cabin where the man stayed.

I agree with your comment, that others on board could easily have been infected as well. We don't know if the Japanese authorities are going to test all the passengers and crew.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

We don't know if the Japanese authorities are going to test all the passengers and crew.

If the virus can be transmitted before people are symptomatic as has been suggested  I would think they will test everyone on the ship.

• Like 1

The new cases seem to be from the original group tested if what has been reported by The Guardian is accurate:

The new cases were among 171 remaining test results. The results of all 273 tests have now been confirmed.

About 3,700 passengers and crew are aboard the ship, but tests were conduct
ed only on people who displayed symptoms or had been in close contact with a Hong Kong man who tested positive after leaving the ship at the end of last month.

Twenty-one of the 41 patients are Japanese, the health minister, Katsunobu Kate, told reporters on Friday. The nationalities of the remaining passengers were not immediately available.

The age range of the newly diagnosed patients suggests that older passengers are particularly vulnerable.

The new cases include three people in their 20s to 40s, three in their 50s, eight in their 60s, 21 in their 70s and six in their 80s, Kato said.

The health ministry said the patients would be transferred to hospitals in Tokyo and several other prefectures, according to public broadcaster NHK.

David Abel who has been reporting on facebook said no one has come near the cabin to do any further medical checks...they came one on the first day and took temp...asked if they are coughing and left.  Just a few minutes ago 2 ambulances pulled up and took people away. I expect some people are just going to get sick during this with other things to...people with heart conditions...high HP...I mean this is a very tough situation and usually on these cruises passengers tend to be over 50.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

They would have certainly contracted the illness during the cruise, but not during the time that they have been quarantined.  These are just the results as tests have been getting returned.  During the quarantine period there most likely be other that develop symptoms and need to be tested. But with a disease with 14 day incubation time they could have contracted the virus anytime since Jan 23.  Remember they have only tested the 200-300 most considered to be at risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, npcl said:

They would have certainly contracted the illness during the cruise, but not during the time that they have been quarantined.  These are just the results as tests have been getting returned.  During the quarantine period there most likely be other that develop symptoms and need to be tested. But with a disease with 14 day incubation time they could have contracted the virus anytime since Jan 23.  Remember they have only tested the 200-300 most considered to be at risk.

"Remember they have only tested the 200-300 most considered to be at risk." now that is concerning.