Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

10 hours ago, Pushka said:

Im not sure I’d factor death into anything unless you had significant other health issues. And smokers seem to be particularly at risk. Most outside of China are making a full recovery. 

People are dead because of this illness. I’m sure the disease doesn’t care where you live. As you said, people with significant health issues are at a higher risk INCLUDING death. 
I haven’t seen or read anything that suggested smokers are higher risked people. Some/most smokers are healthy people. But maybe I’m the uneducated one. 
I'm thinking some people are naive to believe it’s not serious. Especially if you’re worried about $1000.00

Glenn

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

People are dead because of this illness. I’m sure the disease doesn’t care where you live. As you said, people with significant health issues are at a higher risk INCLUDING death. 
I haven’t seen or read anything that suggested smokers are higher risked people. Some/most smokers are healthy people. But maybe I’m the uneducated one. 
I'm thinking some people are naive to believe it’s not serious. Especially if you’re worried about $1000.00

Glenn

Mortality rate is holding at about 2%. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kathy49 said:

this just keeps getting worse and worse...now RCC Anthem of the Seas is docked in New Jersey with many sick Chinese passengers....something going around the ship. 

Here is an article that provides more specific information.  Four passengers have been removed for testing.  They are not confirmed as having corona virus.   

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/royal-caribbean-cruise-passengers-n-j-screened-coronavirus-4-taken-n1132266

4 hours ago, kathy49 said:

pretty clear FULL refund plus the 50%...as it should be.  Passengers should not have to pay a penny especially those sitting over there because as in the case of HAL a bad decision was made to embark in HK.

Why should cruise lines have to compensate anything to do with this virus?  Really not their fault or responsibility.   I think it's great that Princess is doing this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, candy4040 said:

Why should cruise lines have to compensate anything to do with this virus?  Really not their fault or responsibility.   I think it's great that Princess is doing this.

I think Princess is doing an exceptional job. A bit slow the first day but they are listening

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

Glenn

It may be that Pushka is extrapolating the smokers' vulnerabilities because this virus seems to attack the pulmonary system.

For what it is worth, this may be the first time I have seen smokers referred to as healthy people. Had I known that I was being healthy, I may not have quit. That black stuff I was coughing up when I stopped must have been little bits of health.:)

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

Glenn

Smoking affects pulmonary function and the behavior of the cilia in a negative fashion. This inhibits the clearance of particles such as virus from the lungs. It also increases the severity of pulmonary infections.

Smoking reduces stamina and various other physiological attributes. Keep kidding yourself if you think smokers are healthy.

Recent research has demonstrated that a lung can heal over a period of time after ceasing smoking.

Smoking also has deleterious effects on various other organs.

(I will ignore the increase risk for various cancers in this discussion).

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, V_icki_e said:

In asking this, I am not trying to be a smart arse nor suggest that Princess are not acting properly - just trying to gather some FACTS to help me make an informed decision as to whether to cancel as I'm meant to sail on March 15th. That said, I'm wondering that since the mandatory quarantine of passengers hopefully finishes on Feb 19, why have Princess cancelled all cruises up to March 14? 

My guess would be that Princess is looking at the overall situation and anticipating that problems will not be resolved in the near future, and so are proactively cancelling the cruises up to that point.   

You might hold off cancelling for a few weeks.  If Princess cancels then you will likely get a better deal from them, i.e. refund + credit towards a future cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Smoking affects pulmonary function and the behavior of the cilia in a negative fashion. This inhibits the clearance of particles such as virus from the lungs. It also increases the severity of pulmonary infections.

Smoking reduces stamina and various other physiological attributes. Keep kidding yourself if you think smokers are healthy.

Recent research has demonstrated that a lung can heal over a period of time after ceasing smoking.

Smoking also has deleterious effects on various other organs.

(I will ignore the increase risk for various cancers in this discussion).

I don’t want to turn this thread into a debate on smoking other than someone suggested smokers are at a higher risk than others to get this virus. 
In response to your comment, I smoked for 30 years (quit 10 years ago) and I was never sick a day in my life. I know lots of smokers who are healthy and very much alive. 
I'm not advocating smoking but it’s not the death trap people make it out to be. 

Glenn

3 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

I don’t want to turn this thread into a debate on smoking other than someone suggested smokers are at a higher risk than others to get this virus. 
In response to your comment, I smoked for 30 years (quit 10 years ago) and I was never sick a day in my life. I know lots of smokers who are healthy and very much alive. 
I'm not advocating smoking but it’s not the death trap people make it out to be. 

Glenn

Keep kidding yourself if you feel like it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Recent news for today from a passenger onboard the inside pax have been given some 'yard time' for 90 minutes' to get out of their floating prison cells, will be monitored. Also does anyone have a shot of the sheet hanging off a balcony yesterday  with the message  'send corona'  People still sound to be in good spirits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

From Princess..

Updated February 6, 2020 at 7:30 PM PT

Guest Experience on Diamond Princess

Our team on board Diamond Princess, supported by our shoreside colleagues, is actively working to care for our guests to ensure their comfort and well-being. These are such unusual circumstances so our team has activated new in-room entertainment offerings which include:

• Eight (8) new satellite TV channels
  • More than 80 new video-on-demand releases, including movies in various languages, concerts and in-cabin fitness videos
  • Cruise Director Show (The Wake Show) in English and Japanese
  • Printed newspapers in 36 languages
  • Pre-printed trivia, daily puzzles, games and arts and crafts
  • Radio Taiso (popular calisthenics) videos
  • Kids’ activity packs
  • Food & beverage options offered via room service
  • Outdoor time for guests in interior staterooms (under the guidance of Japanese Ministry of Health)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Kenswing said:

• Eight (8) new satellite TV channels
  • More than 80 new video-on-demand releases, including movies in various languages, concerts and in-cabin fitness videos
  • Cruise Director Show (The Wake Show) in English and Japanese
  • Printed newspapers in 36 languages
  • Pre-printed trivia, daily puzzles, games and arts and crafts
  • Radio Taiso (popular calisthenics) videos
  • Kids’ activity packs
  • Food & beverage options offered via room service
  • Outdoor time for guests in interior staterooms (under the guidance of Japanese Ministry of Health)

No Art Auction!? I thought those were mandatory every 2 days.

In all seriousness, having just finished a cruise on the Regal in an interior, I can't imagine how or where I'd have been able to do calisthenics in my stateroom.

But kudos to Princess and the crew of the Diamond for doing their utmost to provide for the passengers. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dog said:

I think Princess is doing an exceptional job. A bit slow the first day but they are listening

I suspect the first day their concern was 5000+ folks stuck at a pier in Japan. I can not imagime the logistics...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

I suspect the first day their concern was 5000+ folks stuck at a pier in Japan. I can not imagime the logistics...

I saw the notice of delay and cancellation on their roll call. A lot of confusion for sure.

This situation has really opened our eyes on ways to be better prepared when travelling.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dog said:

This situation has really opened our eyes on ways to be better prepared when travelling.

I am sure governments and businesses will all be re-evaluating their protocols when this has passed.  Lessons learned can be a very a positive outcome of a crises.

4 hours ago, Grburkart said:

Glenn

Yes, but people (thousands of people in every country) die from the influenza every year. The only difference with this epidemic is that there is no immunisation to prevent it. That is the only reason why this epidemic is getting the media headlines and is regarded as more significant. The flu virus mutates every year and that is why we need a new jab every year.. As far as the death rate in China versus the rest of the world - currently the stats speak for themselves. 

I most certainly did not mean to imply that smokers are more at risk of contracting this virus, but if they did get it, then there is an increased chance of death from it. And if you read my original post it is in the context of death that I posted it. This is a disease of the lungs. And smokers do not have healthy lungs.. I think you guessed correctly.  

Edited by Pushka
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Yes, but people (thousands of people in every country) die from the influenza every year. The only difference with this epidemic is that there is no immunisation to prevent it. That is the only reason why this epidemic is getting the media headlines and is regarded as more significant. The flu virus mutates every year and that is why we need a new jab every year.. As far as the death rate in China versus the rest of the world - currently the stats speak for themselves. 

I most certainly did not mean to imply that smokers are more at risk of contracting this virus, but if they did get it, then there is an increased chance of death from it. And if you read my original post it is in the context of death that I posted it. t is a disease of the lungs. And smokers do not have healthy lungs. Regardless of what you might think. 

This is a common argument I have seen on the internet. However I beg to differ, however, for these reasons.  The incubation period is 2-12 days in which time the person is infectious before showing symptoms, so the spread is alarming. Second, the time a person is sick seems to be a lot longer.  Looking at the statististics shows currently around 600 people have died and around 1700 have recovered.  That's 33% ish.  A person is unwell for quite a while before they either get better (or not) and so the mortality rate is hard to tell at this early stage.  Remember there were only a couple of hundred cases on the 20th Jan, not even a month ago. That doctor who just died (the one who tried to warn the govt) showed symptoms (I think) in the 21st Jan but was not confirmed until the 31st - and he passed away 8 days later.  Just looking at the time frame from initial contact to symptoms showing to eventual recovery seems to several weeks, maybe a month. so the 'flu, although indeed it is fatal, in some cases, comes on a lot quicker and recovery is quicker, but the mortality rate is about .095% in 1st world countries.  So I don't think the two can be used as a comparison.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I think quarantine is a very good idea to stop the spread. As we learn more about the virus and its lifespan and mortality rate then we can draw comparisons. Hopefully the scientists will come up with a vaccine soon - but the logistics around manufacture and distribution seem pretty mind boggling.

In regards to cruising at this time, what I am doing with  my cruise booked for the 15th April is waiting to see what the Cruise line does.  I wouldn't want to cancel at this point as even though I have cancel for any reason insurance I only can claim 75% of the fare back.  If the cruise line cancels the voyage they will give me a FCC. I will be bitterly disappointed of course, but its not worth the risk of catching the virus, or being quarantined on board.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, alirat153 said:

This is a common argument I have seen on the internet. However I beg to differ, however, for these reasons.  The incubation period is 2-12 days in which time the person is infectious before showing symptoms, so the spread is alarming. Second, the time a person is sick seems to be a lot longer.  Looking at the statististics shows currently around 600 people have died and around 1700 have recovered.  That's 33% ish.  A person is unwell for quite a while before they either get better (or not) and so the mortality rate is hard to tell at this early stage.  Remember there were only a couple of hundred cases on the 20th Jan, not even a month ago. That doctor who just died (the one who tried to warn the govt) showed symptoms (I think) in the 21st Jan but was not confirmed until the 31st - and he passed away 8 days later.  Just looking at the time frame from initial contact to symptoms showing to eventual recovery seems to several weeks, maybe a month. so the 'flu, although indeed it is fatal, in some cases, comes on a lot quicker and recovery is quicker, but the mortality rate is about .095% in 1st world countries.  So I don't think the two can be used as a comparison.

If people are immunised then all this is irrelevant.  Getting an effective immunisation for corona virus is the only priority now and in the meantime it is quarantine on suspicion. And avoiding high risk places. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, alirat153 said:

Of course but there is no vaccine for this virus  yet .

And hence my point at the get go. This virus, in itself, is no worse than the flu. It is just we don’t have a vaccine for it. And that is the priority. It is not like Ebola with an extreme fatality rate. 

Just now, Pushka said:

And hence my point at the get go. This virus, in itself, is no worse than the flu. It is just we don’t have a vaccine for it. And that is the priority. It is not like Ebola with an extreme fatality rate. 

Ok you didnt read my post, or you disagree with what I said. I can't see the point of further discussion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1