Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I think it quite reasonable of Japan not having to account for those illnesses. Shame we can’t do the same for Australia as all are recent arrivals in the last 2 weeks. 

I agree  - if only because it could skew numbers. Those on diamond princess are in a unique situation. If the home country claimed those on diamond princess, the number of USA infected would more than double (which isn’t accurate since all aren’t in the USA).

From Princess Cruises Facebook page.

Diamond Princess Update: The Japanese Ministry of Health has confirmed the quarantine end date will be February 19, unless there are any other unforeseen developments. We understand and empathize with the frustration of many of our guests, crew, and their families across the world during this ever-evolving situation. Thank you for your continued patience during this challenging time. http://*****/38cSolS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the great information that has been posted here, and especially thanks to those who posted the link to David Abel's Facebook page (https://m.facebook.com/david.abel.75).  He is posting live videos from the Diamond and it is great to see that he is keeping an upbeat outlook in trying times.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, tangoll said:

Just notified by Princess Cruise that the 28 Feb itinerary on Diamond Princess is cancelled.  Full refund plus 50% FCC to be paid.  Checking on non-Princess Air HKG/HND/HKG air fare of US$216 will be covered by Princess or not.  My hotel expense of US$160 can be cancelled up thru 22 Feb at no charge, booked via Agoda.  

What is meaning of 50% Future Cruise Credit?  If the fare of the cancelled cruise is for example,  $1,000, does this mean I get a $500 credit to be used against price of a future booking?  Or, does this mean that whatever the price of the future cruise is, say $6,000, then I get 50% off or $3,000 discount off of that future cruise price?  

At this stage I think it is irresponsible for cruise lines to continue to sail in this region.  So far there are now 5 cruise ships that are either being quarantined or moved from pillar to post.  People are being rerouted all over the place. 

Here in the UK our 3rd case didn't come from China but from Singapore, the more these and future passengers are bounced about the less chance there is of overall control.  Also what a horrendous experience to potentially put future cruisers in, I realise that the cruiselines could argue they were not informed enough to prevent what has happened to the the ships out there now, but there is no defence to continue to risk further sailings. 

I know some will think well its up to the passengers, but sometimes people need protected from themselves, also what about when they return to home countries and put others at risk.  Then there is the crew to protect - they have no choice not to sail

Edited by fragilek
sp
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, tangoll said:

What is meaning of 50% Future Cruise Credit?  If the fare of the cancelled cruise is for example,  $1,000, does this mean I get a $500 credit to be used against price of a future booking?  Or, does this mean that whatever the price of the future cruise is, say $6,000, then I get 50% off or $3,000 discount off of that future cruise price?  

It means you get 50% of the cancelled cruise fare as FCC, so in your example $500.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It means you get 50% of the cancelled cruise fare as FCC, so in your example $500.

I do not think so. I think they are giving 100% back to passenger, PLUS 50% extra as a future cruise credit. Good comp, especially if they can include air expenses.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tangoll said:

Just notified by Princess Cruise that the 28 Feb itinerary on Diamond Princess is cancelled.  Full refund plus 50% FCC to be paid.  Checking on non-Princess Air HKG/HND/HKG air fare of US$216 will be covered by Princess or not.  My hotel expense of US$160 can be cancelled up thru 22 Feb at no charge, booked via Agoda.  

I saw on the Princess website-News/Notices for Feb. 4th cancellation---FULL REFUND PLUS 100% FCC.

You are getting more advance notice so that is probably why the FCC is 50%.

Call Princess and ask, as some misinformation is being posted on here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Where did you hear that?  Alcohol rub sanitizers kill most bacteria, and fungi, and stop some viruses.  

I learned that in 40 years working in nursing homes and group homes. There was always a 2-rule policy. 

#1 Wash your hands with soap and water before and after.

#2 If you fail at rule #1, you're FIRED!

Alcohol based interventions are ok, but NEVER a substitute for 25-30 seconds under hot water and soap tips from finger to wrist. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, generichandle said:

I do not think so. I think they are giving 100% back to passenger, PLUS 50% extra as a future cruise credit. Good comp, especially if they can include air expenses.

pretty clear FULL refund plus the 50%...as it should be.  Passengers should not have to pay a penny especially those sitting over there because as in the case of HAL a bad decision was made to embark in HK.

• Like 1

this just keeps getting worse and worse...now RCC Anthem of the Seas is docked in New Jersey with many sick Chinese passengers....something going around the ship.  Correct me if I am wrong but with each passing year more and more Chinese including people from Wuhan are traveling for tourism around the world...including cruises...bus tours etc. and this is far from over....back with Sars I have to think not quite so many traveling. This will impact so many economically but the cruise lines will take the biggest hit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

this just keeps getting worse and worse...now RCC Anthem of the Seas is docked in New Jersey with many sick Chinese passengers....something going around the ship.  Correct me if I am wrong but with each passing year more and more Chinese including people from Wuhan are traveling for tourism around the world...including cruises...bus tours etc. and this is far from over....back with Sars I have to think not quite so many traveling. This will impact so many economically but the cruise lines will take the biggest hit.

More and more Chinese have disposable income so they have means and will to travel, it makes sense their numbers would be increasing. And so far they are particularly drawn to packaged holidays like cruises though amongst the younger Chinese backpacking is starting to become popular, much to the chagrin of Chinese parents😂.

16 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Only 3 of the Chinese nationals on the Anthem were showing symptoms of illness and those passengers are being transported to Newark Hospital to be treated in isolation units. The remaining Chinese nationals that were on the ship had no symptoms of illness and are being transported to the airport and flown back to their home airport(s). 

Please stop with the fearmongering. I have been following these threads as an avid cruise enthusiast and out of genuine interest in what is going on with the Diamond Princess, but you have done nothing but try to spread fear and misinformation and I couldn’t stay quiet anymore. 

Edited by Mrs CruisinCritter
Misquoted # of sick pax
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mrs CruisinCritter said:

Only 3 of the Chinese nationals on the Anthem were showing symptoms of illness and those passengers are being transported to Newark Hospital to be treated in isolation units. The remaining Chinese nationals that were on the ship had no symptoms of illness and are being transported to the airport and flown back to their home airport(s). 

Please stop with the fearmongering. I have been following these threads as an avid cruise enthusiast and out of genuine interest in what is going on with the Diamond Princess, but you have done nothing but try to spread fear and misinformation and I couldn’t stay quiet anymore. 

no fearmongering at all..simple facts..."only" three is not a very smart thing to say....if you had been following you will know how virulent this virus is and asymptomatic many with it can be...14 day incubation is really a tough component to this epidemic. Those remaining Chinese as well as anyone could have it...now they will be on planes for hours. Okay if that is fearmongering so be it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

no fearmongering at all..simple facts..."only" three is not a very smart thing to say....if you had been following you will know how virulent this virus is and asymptomatic many with it can be...14 day incubation is really a tough component to this epidemic. Those remaining Chinese as well as anyone could have it...now they will be on planes for hours. Okay if that is fearmongering so be it.

It is fearmongering because there are many parts of China that have not been impacted by the virus. You are not stating facts. You specifically stated “many sick” and “something going around the ship.” Nowhere in the media reports does it say where these pax are from and it likely won’t due to HIPAA since this involves medical information. Also, only the 3 Chinese nationals were reported as having pulmonary issues. No other pax were reported to have had any symptoms of illness. Illness between groups traveling together can be common. It is cold and flu season after all. It is likely 3 family members sharing the same illness. 

After viewing media reports and seeing that EMS and other medical personnel are not wearing protective clothing or masks, it is likely that they have deduced that the illness these 3 pax are suffering from is unlikely to be the 2019-nCoV. They have, after all, been working with the CDC on this and the CDC isn’t taking the 2019-nCoV lightly as you can tell by the quarantining of US citizens in other parts of the country after returning from impacted areas of China. A little common sense goes a long way these days.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think the CDC would take the chance by allowing RC to embark pax today if there was fear that the 3 Chinese nationals being transported to hospital had the 2019-nCoV. I don’t believe they would risk having to take responsibility for potentially having to quarantine a cruise ship full of mostly US passengers if there was a chance the n-CoV tests could come back positive like in the case of the Diamond passenger. Yes, people can be asymptomatic, but so can every other person you come across as you go about your daily life. You may as well stay home and never leave your home if you’re that scared because you may catch the flu. It is much more dangerous in the US right now and has killed a much higher number of people in this country. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, generichandle said:

I learned that in 40 years working in nursing homes and group homes. There was always a 2-rule policy. 

#1 Wash your hands with soap and water before and after.

#2 If you fail at rule #1, you're FIRED!

Alcohol based interventions are ok, but NEVER a substitute for 25-30 seconds under hot water and soap tips from finger to wrist. 

Yes ... I never hinted that sanitizers were better than hand washing.  I worked with infection control in an acute care hospital for years.  I was merely responding to the comment where someone noted that hand sanitzers only killed bacteria.  Not sure where they heard that info.  While certainly not as effective as proper hand washing, they is evidence that they are also effective against some viruses (not all...but some).  Better than nothing in a situation where you have no access to soap and water.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs CruisinCritter said:

Only 3 of the Chinese nationals on the Anthem were showing symptoms

That number is up to 27 now, with 4 having been taken to the hospital.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/royal-caribbean-cruise-passengers-n-j-screened-coronavirus-4-taken-n1132266

Edited by Outerdog

1 minute ago, Outerdog said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/royal-caribbean-cruise-passengers-n-j-screened-coronavirus-4-taken-n1132266

This is getting crazier by the day.  I certainly do sympathize with all the cruiselines and quarantined passengers and what they are going through right now.   

I saw a report from a newly couple that appeared to be in an inside cabin on the Diamond Princess this morning.  I would say that if they can survive this 'togetherness' for another couple of weeks, they may have a good chance for a long lasting marriage.  😉 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Thank you for posting an article, but it is still related to the original Chinese nationals that we were discussing. Only 4 of which (the original reports when I made my earlier post quoted only 3) needed to be taken to hospitals. The remaining were taken to the airport and are being allowed to return home because they are showing no symptoms and as stated in the article, they have not been to an impacted area. 

None of the passengers that have been tested are from the US or any other country impacted by the virus (as of this point in time). Of course things could change. I still have confidence that the CDC thinks this could be another illness due to the lack of precautions being taken in relation to the sick individuals, but like I stated in my previous posts, that is just my beliefs at this time until more information comes available. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

This is getting crazier by the day.  I certainly do sympathize with all the cruiselines and quarantined passengers and what they are going through right now.   

I saw a report from a newly couple that appeared to be in an inside cabin on the Diamond Princess this morning.  I would say that if they can survive this 'togetherness' for another couple of weeks, they may have a good chance for a long lasting marriage.  😉 

Agreed! It reminds me of a post that someone made much earlier in this thread or maybe the other Diamond thread that said that they would be curious to see if there are any divorces or births that result after significant others being locked in a cabin with each other for 14 days with limited entertainment. 

I couldn’t imagine going through this situation. I have so much empathy for everyone on the ship right now and anyone who has come down with the illness. It is an awful way to end a vacation. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The way the situation in Bayonne is being played out in the media is a bit disconcerting.  The news from Asia has been a little better in unfolding based on both how the situations are being controlled and letting the facts roll out as the facts emerged.  If the media does not get a grip the reporting could do more harm to the economy than the currrently suspected outbreak.  Of course, initial reporting is oftentimes wrong and hopefully the local authorities are managing things in a more controlled manner than being reported.  Living in an area that depends on tourism we know perceptions of situations can wreak havoc very quickly.

• Like 2

There is an article in the UK press of a couple on their honeymoon, one of whom has been taken off the ship as they tested positive. The oh is still on ship in quarantine.

What a honeymoon!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7976627/Number-passengers-coronavirus-quarantined-cruise-ship-TREBLES-60.html

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 4:07 PM, kathy49 said:

are you saying no one from Princess has contacted you???

No Princess has not contacted us.  My cruise preceded the one where a coronavirus patient was identified.  At the time of my cruise testing for coronavirus was not occurring to my knowledge.