Daily newspapers really gone?

knippsel

Just coming back to this board ahead of our upcoming Alaska cruise this May, and I see talk that the daily printed newspapers (NY Times, Canadian, Australian, German, etc.) are supposed to be discontinued? Is that true for all ships?  We love sea days and enjoy reading the papers from all over the world every day with our morning coffee.   (And no, I don't like to have a phone on when we cruise. And DH doesn't use electronics...)Did they really go through with this? Very disappointing, if true.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, knippsel said:

Just coming back to this board ahead of our upcoming Alaska cruise this May, and I see talk that the daily printed newspapers (NY Times, Canadian, Australian, German, etc.) are supposed to be discontinued? Is that true for all ships?  We love sea days and enjoy reading the papers from all over the world every day with our morning coffee.   (And no, I don't like to have a phone on when we cruise. And DH doesn't use electronics...)Did they really go through with this? Very disappointing, if true.

Just off Koningsdam yesterday. Daily newspaper available on Navigator App  but did not see any newspapers in print.

I know that people with eye problems (glaucoma, for one) are often advised to limit blue light time and glare,  so do not really want to spend time on the computer reading the daily news.  Their solution will be to buy newspapers in port, I guess.   

• Like 1

IMO, the only way we are going to see that paper again on a regular basis is to flood the office,  with  WRITTEN  complaints.  write the complaints on  the 'mail' we all get about the amazingly frequent sales in the shops on board  ,  , , , ,  at least all that  usually  paper will be used for  'good'  To register with the 'powers' how much how many of us WANT that paper available every day  of our cruises.     BE proactive and unfailingly dependable in letting

them know we are severely displeased

.image.png.c04e49836da37cf20c6eea69dcfa4a94.png 

It's not  nice    to knowingly go  out of  their way to  wreck   days  of our vacations/cruises.

Edited by sail7seas

On the Volendam's December 20th holiday cruise, an 8 page printed newspaper was available and was superior in quality/quantity content in the previous publication of The New York Times whose connection with HAL has come to an end.  On the January 15th 2020 cruise of the Eurodam, no such  printed publican was available.  On their Navigator app, yes.  The Front Desk staff member said it was available.  

HAL in Seattle:  I don't read my local paper online and I most certainly am not going to read the paper online when I am on vacation.

Volendam had on the interactive TV CNN, Fox news.  Eurodam only had Fox News and MSNBC for current news.  

But, what such inconsistently in the cruise product is a surprise?  

On our November transatlantic, there was the USA Today paper distributed in various languages.

The crossword puzzle is very small, however at the guest services front desk you can pick up a sudoko/crossword puzzle (printed on heavier paper/card stock).

Carol

9 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

On our November transatlantic, there was the USA Today paper distributed in various languages.

The crossword puzzle is very small, however at the guest services front desk you can pick up a sudoko/crossword puzzle (printed on heavier paper/card stock).

Carol

That is good to know that you can get the crossword at the front desk.

We’re on the Rotterdam now.  As stated above, you can get the NYT crossword puzzle/Sudoku puzzle in the Library and sometimes in the Lido.  Our understanding is the printed newspapers were discontinued as of the first cruise beginning in January.  

I looked at the news on the Navigator app and found it very lacking.  There were not very many stories available under US news.

We’re on the Zuiderdam right now. There are printed papers available at the front desk. It’s a selection of AP articles. The same content is available on the Navigator app. In the past one could read the entire NY Times on the app, much more than appears in the eight page paper copy. We cruise to relax, rarely do excursions and spend time in deck chairs Each day reading The NY Times. It’s been a big disappointment for us. 

17 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

I'm happy to see the reports that some ships are providing printed news sheets.  Can anyone tell me if there's Canadian news in the printed  offering?  In the past there was a special Canadian edition offered.

On our Nieuw Statendam TA in November, both the NYT replacement USA Times, and The Canadian were available sporadically as hard copy in various public areas on the ship.  For our last few cruises, I go to the front desk and 'subscribe' to both, and the printed versions come delivered to your stateroom.  As well, the NYTimes website is still available on your web-enabled devices as a non-pay site -- for as long as the HAL NYT marketing relationship is in force     Scott. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Nieuw Statendam January 5 - 19 and were unable to get paper copies of any newspapers.  We checked with Guest Services who directed me to use the Navigator App.  I told them DH doesn't use electronic devices and only uses his cell phone for emergency calls, but was told they ceased making paper copies.  I expressed my displeasure in the survey after the cruise.  Thinking about it now, I should have completed a "How Are We Doing" while onboard and told them about it.   A day late and a dollar short!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

There were papers on our cruise in December on the NA, they were put out by USA TODAY which in my opinion was a huge upgrade over the NY TIMES edition.

That behind said it seems like HAL is torturing us with little paper cuts with all the things the are discontinuing. The first thing they need to do is bring back the Production Shows, Music Walk is pretty good but it gets old after awhile.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 5:26 PM, MISTER 67 said:

There were papers on our cruise in December on the NA, they were put out by USA TODAY which in my opinion was a huge upgrade over the NY TIMES edition.

That behind said it seems like HAL is torturing us with little paper cuts with all the things the are discontinuing. The first thing they need to do is bring back the Production Shows, Music Walk is pretty good but it gets old after awhile.

I agree with your opinion.  Music Walk is enjoyable.  Enough is enough at times.  I am almost sure that HAL's connection with New York Times is ending.  The new firm whose printed newspaper on the Volendam was available in a variety of languages was superior to what had been made available. 

Re:  Production shows--Someone in Seattle are seriously wrong that all ages of guests do not enjoy these production shows.  Having sailed on MSC Meraviglia between my Volendam and Eurodam cruises, the Theater Production shows--even the last show of the night--were packed with guests.  The ages attending included the 20 somethings along with this dinosaur cruising age guest among others of my demographic.