NYC to Iceland via Greenland May 2021

JC in CA

Hello,

We have Greenland on our "really want to see" list and are seriously considering the May 31, 2021 NYC to Iceland cruise.  I was reading on the Princess boards about a cruise of theirs that visits Greenland and how difficult it is for many people to get off of the ship due to the very small dock and the ship having to tender.  Thinking that a small ship like Regent Navigator is the only way to go (besides the wonderful Regent experience!).  I'd love to hear from others who have been on a Regent cruise that has stopped in Greenland.  Would you recommend it?  What excursions did you take?  

We are also debating Veranda E or Concierge D.  The cabin sizes are exactly the same. There is a price difference of $700 per person.  I have read about vibration in aft cabins, so would want mid or forward, which either category would give us.  I'm having a difficult time justifying an additional $1400 for the two of us to get the pre-night hotel stay in NYC, transfers, and earlier excursion / Prime 7 reservations.  

Our first Regent cruise this past fall was on the Mariner through the Panama Canal and we did book a Concierge suite.  We enjoyed staying at the Beverly Wilshire and meeting other passengers at breakfast that morning.  We were also pleased to book all of our 1st choice excursions.  

thanks for any info!

Jerie

1 hour ago, JC in CA said:

Hello,

We have Greenland on our "really want to see" list and are seriously considering the May 31, 2021 NYC to Iceland cruise.  I was reading on the Princess boards about a cruise of theirs that visits Greenland and how difficult it is for many people to get off of the ship due to the very small dock and the ship having to tender.  Thinking that a small ship like Regent Navigator is the only way to go (besides the wonderful Regent experience!).  I'd love to hear from others who have been on a Regent cruise that has stopped in Greenland.  Would you recommend it?  What excursions did you take?  

We are also debating Veranda E or Concierge D.  The cabin sizes are exactly the same. There is a price difference of $700 per person.  I have read about vibration in aft cabins, so would want mid or forward, which either category would give us.  I'm having a difficult time justifying an additional $1400 for the two of us to get the pre-night hotel stay in NYC, transfers, and earlier excursion / Prime 7 reservations.  

Our first Regent cruise this past fall was on the Mariner through the Panama Canal and we did book a Concierge suite.  We enjoyed staying at the Beverly Wilshire and meeting other passengers at breakfast that morning.  We were also pleased to book all of our 1st choice excursions.  

thanks for any info!

Jerie

My husband and I did the exact cruise you are considering in 2018.  Everything about the cruise exceeded our expectations.  I don’t remember needing to tender in Greenland.  What I do remember is that Greenland appeared very grey, and Iceland was so green!  Regent offered some very interesting shore excursions in each of the ports, and we chose to focus on those that involved local food tasting.  We even had lobster in Nova Scotia right out of the ocean.  
Although we packed what we thought were warm clothes for June in Iceland, it was colder than we expected.  So take lots of layers.  As far as Concierge vs.Veranda, the ultimate clincher for us was that Concierge includes four internet accounts.  Between our laptop, tablets, and phones, this was a necessity. The night before at a five star hotel in NYC and the buffet breakfast were an added bonus.  I totally recommend the cruise and the friendliness that you receive from all the Navigator staff is worth the additional cost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ladys Mom said:

Concierge includes four internet accounts.

Thank you Ladys Mom - it looks like an incredible cruise.  Note taken about lots of layers!  I had forgotten the difference in internet between the levels, good point.

Jerie

We have booked this cruise for next year as well in Cat E on the advice of the Cruise Consultant.  It's all personal choice: the Concierge benefits were not a deal breaker for us; we get multiple log ins and priority bookings anyway.  Thanks for the tips about the warm clothing in Iceland - we were anticipating cool, not freezing. JC in CA we might see you on board!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JC in CA said:

I was reading on the Princess boards about a cruise of theirs that visits Greenland and how difficult it is for many people to get off of the ship due to the very small dock and the ship having to tender.

If you look at your itinerary on the Regent website, tender ports are denoted by a small anchor symbol.

It does appear that both stops in Greenland would be tendered, but tendering from a small ship like Navigator shouldn’t be too much of a hassle.

5 hours ago, JC in CA said:

We are also debating Veranda E or Concierge D.  The cabin sizes are exactly the same. There is a price difference of $700 per person.  I have read about vibration in aft cabins, so would want mid or forward

All the suite grades A to H are the same generous size on Navigator; so your decision on how much to “invest” comes down to:

• Do you want a balcony? (F & above) We have stayed in a window suite on Navigator and it was fine (H or G)
  • Do you want/need the Concierge amenities? (D & above)
  • Would you make use of a Butler? (C & above)

Agree that you want a suite mid or forward to avoid vibration, but too far forward and you may be troubled when docking by noise from the forward winches or anchor chains.

Decisions, decisions ....................  the joy of cruise planning  🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catpow said:

We have booked this cruise for next year as well in Cat E on the advice of the Cruise Consultant.  It's all personal choice: the Concierge benefits were not a deal breaker for us; we get multiple log ins and priority bookings anyway.  Thanks for the tips about the warm clothing in Iceland - we were anticipating cool, not freezing. JC in CA we might see you on board!

we got good use out of our parkas in Greenland and parts of Iceland.  As far as tenders in Greenland, we did but I don't think it is such an issue to get on and off them.

Edited by Sharle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are doing this same cruise in June.  In fact we are starting in Montreal on the previous cruise and staying until Dublin (39 total nights).  Looking at your itinerary it show TWO tender ports in Greenland.  Oddly, our itinerary only shows ONE, Paamiut. We show being docked in Nuuk.  And Iceland is all docks.  

We have a variety of tours set up.  These were based on what I thought looked interesting, some research of each port, etc.  Nuuk was quite limited so we booked 2 tours, the Guided Short Walk and Visit with Family, and the Kayak Show.  

Paamiut  the Walking Tour is the only tour offered, so not much decision making there. 

Both Nuuk and Paamiut are pretty small, but I think it'll be very interesting to see them and their way  of life. 

Isafjordur Iceland we booked the Bird Island of Vigur.  I researched quite a bit and this just seemed interesting to us.  Looks beautiful. 

We overnight in Reykjavik but stay on the ship until Dublin.  We booked Bathing in the Blue Lagoon.  Again, it just seemed like a "cool" experience.  I actually looked at booking a room for the night at the Blue Lagoon, but horribly expensive.  So the included tour it is.  Likely for us, as we're staying on board, there'll be some sort of tour option for day two.  

But Reykjavik has some wonderful tours available.  

We also booked a Category E to get forward on the ship but didn't see the advantage to Concierge level.

We return July 18.  I will be very happy to let you know how it goes. 

• Like 1

We did Amsterdam to NYC via Iceland and Greenland.  It was fantastic.  I do not remember any issue with tendering and Nuuk we were docked.  We did a family visit in Nuuk which was very interesting.  Our host was very eager to explain things about everyday living in Greenland.  Just great.

• Like 1

I was on this cruise a couple of years ago. I seem to recall docking in Nuuk. The tour that took us around the area was fascinating, just to see how people lived there. Our guide was superb. She gave us a clear, colorful idea of day-to-day life in Greenland.

We wound up skipping Paamiut due to sea conditions. It was to be a tender port. I was told that that port is often skipped for the same reason.

Can't help you with Greenland questions (haven't been yet 😞 ) but the Concierge question is one we ask often - and don't often take.   Part of the equation is your SSS status, too - that can drive early reservations, etc.  We usually look at hotel rates vs. what we'd pay through Regent...there are times when it's more beneficial to skip the Air Deviation (many may disagree, but depending on your gateway city this might not be a huge issue) and make use of the Regent hotel, transfers, etc.  The number if internet logins is also an issue.  

You need to look at the cabin location, hotel fees, transfer fees (and availability), air deviation, etc...sometimes it makes sense to take the Concierge suite even if it's still slightly more expensive.  What price convenience, right?

8 hours ago, flossie009 said:

tendering from a small ship like Navigator shouldn’t be too much of a hassle.

Thanks Flossie!

Exactly what I was thinking!  Hoping to hear of anyone's experience tendering in Greenland!

Doubt we would use a butler - so we have narrowed down to E or D - eliminated F after looking at cabin placement- all aft.

So glad to have this forum and so many experienced Regent folks to help!

Jerie

51 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

SSS status, too

This will only be our 2nd Regent cruise - which puts a check in the concierge column

Departing from NYC - lots of choices for pre cruise stay - which puts check in veranda column

We prefer to depart from San Jose, CA (10 min drive) rather than SFO - so air deviation or booking our own depending on how prices work out.  Will also want at least business class - we are both tall and will potentially have 3 suitcases.  

with the stock mkt going crazy today - check in concierge column....

Thank you!

Hello JC in CA , I'm booked on this cruise, hope you join us! After cruising on Navigator a couple of months ago I cant wait to be onboard again. Great to hear these first hand accounts of visiting Greenland. We havent been but cruised by it a few years ago and it looked fascinating. We've been in Iceland twice and we're looking forward to going once again. Might stay in Iceland for a couple of extra days. 

We decided for a window cabin ( which we've had in the past on Navigator and it worked fine for us) as I couldnt justify the additional $$$. In our last Navigator cruise ( a Caribbean cruise) we had a balcony and barely used it

11 hours ago, Catpow said:

Hello Catpow, hope to meet you onboard!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

We did Amsterdam to NYC via Iceland and Greenland.  It was fantastic.  I do not remember any issue with tendering and Nuuk we were docked.  We did a family visit in Nuuk which was very interesting.  Our host was very eager to explain things about everyday living in Greenland.  Just great.

We were on the cruise last August with MJ, and also did the home visit in Nuuk.  Terrific tour.  We were docked in Nuuk, even though the itinerary shows and showed this as a tender port, and tendered in Paamiut. Paamiut was a bit of a waste:  untrained locals as tour guides, and the town's main attraction - the church - was closed.

Joan, the bargain hunter, picked up some inexpensive souvenirs and toys at the shopping mall in Nuuk.

Yes, everyone, even the men, should be prepared to dress in layers.  I didn't find Iceland or Greenland to be cold; but then, I don't need gloves at 20 degrees. The temp was never below 40, except in Prince Christian Sound. Joan was cold, and Californians probably would be.

The most beautiful day of your itinerary may not even be on land.  Prince Christian Sound (June 12 for your itinerary) is way beyond spectacular. Sort of a glacial fjord open at both ends.  Dress warmly, and enjoy hot drinks in the upstairs lounge. Take pictures and movies, and watch for wildlife. 

The bird island of Vigur excursion is also well worth it.  We did that bird tour, and another one in Orkney; and we're not even birders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We took a ground trip to Iceland in May three years ago.  You need MANY layers and waterproof outer layers at that time of year.  Weather ranged from torrential rain to

very pleasant when you could wear only a light jacket.   Iceland is a real treat!

Edited by carolat
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 1:00 PM, JC in CA said:

Papaflamingo,

Would love to hear of your experiences!!

I will likely do a live post on here.  Did one with a few others on our South Pacific/New Zealand cruise last year, and it was fun sharing our experiences.  So I'll probably do one on this cruise if there's any interest.  😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I will likely do a live post on here.  Did one with a few others on our South Pacific/New Zealand cruise last year, and it was fun sharing our experiences.  So I'll probably do one on this cruise if there's any interest.  😎

PLEASE.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

PLEASE.

I love live posts from the ship.  This time I’ll enjoy from the ship😀.  Had to cancel April Splendor cruise due to March knuckle replacements so really looking forward to this cruise. 

• Like 1