vaccinations

laineybc

With all the talk about the C-virus, it's got me to wondering if we are prepared for a Panama Cruise in the future.  We (family of 4) have all had

the Hep A (twinrix) which I understand is good for life. We are caught up on Tetinus. A lot of the diseases are born of mosquito bites so no

vaccines for those. Are we caught up or should we be concerned .?

4 minutes ago, laineybc said:

With all the talk about the C-virus, it's got me to wondering if we are prepared for a Panama Cruise in the future.  We (family of 4) have all had

the Hep A (twinrix) which I understand is good for life. We are caught up on Tetinus. A lot of the diseases are born of mosquito bites so no

vaccines for those. Are we caught up or should we be concerned .?

That's really a question for your doctor.  

Agree that you should ask your family doctor, or a local travel clinic for specifics that apply to you. But in the mean time, check here:. https://travel.gc.ca/

Under Travel Advice and Advisories, select the country, then the Health tab. It will list the required and/or recommended vaccinations as well as other health precautions for that area.

Typically the recommendation for vaccinations is more for those who would be spending extended time in a given country, which would include travel within that country, and not so much for transient visitors with limited involvement as would be on a cruise ship.

But agree that any questions could best be addressed by your physician.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

17 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I'm starting this process right now with my doctor for a planned trip into Rwanda next year.

I'll echo everybody else - work with your doctor. In addition to the vaccines, you may want to have medications with you depending on your medical history.

I'd say this is as important as vaccines.  I always take two Epi-Pens, two extra inhalers, a one-week Prednisone regimen, and a Z-Pack when I travel. This is what my doctor advises.

I am scheduled to get a measles vax and a Hep A vax in early April.

I echo the advice to consult medical professionals on this.  Depending on who your primary care doctor is, you might do better going to a travel clinic.   And before you go, it's helpful to take a look at the CDC recommendations for the countries you will be visiting, so you'll have some sense of the playing field.

Specifically re the Panama Canal question asked above, and mosquitoes, we are just back from our second full transit of the Canal.  On both trips we brought mosquito repellent with us (we prefer Picaridin, but you can use Deet), and applied it when we were going ashore in Colombia and central America.   (On neither trip did we see a single mosquito.)  

We did up date our typhoid immunizations for the Panama Canal trips (but there was no requirement to do so.)

As a more general travel matter, Hep A is prevalent around the world, including in the U.S., and it's not a bad idea to be immunized against it.    

Safe and healthy travels to all.

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

Don’t forget flu and pneumonia. 

13 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

And I will also suggest checking to see if you have measles immunity.  

All things that folks should take care of, regardless of whether they are traveling or not of course.