Western Mediterranean or Baltic. Help!!

DC1979

I’m looking at two different itineraries for 2021 and wanted to get the advice of the experts.  I’m looking at either:

Jewels  of the Baltic on the Nieuw Statendam in June, going from Copenhagen to Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Berlin and Hamburg 

or

Mediterranean Dream on the Nieuw Statendam in October, going from Rome to Monte Carlo, Provence, Barcelona, Cartagena, Gibraltar, Pisa

Both are for 10 days.  In May 2019 we did the Eastern Mediterranean on the Koningsdam for 12 days.  Loved the ship and loved the cruise but now am torn on doing the Western Mediterranean or seeing a new area altogether and doing the Baltics.  Any help on my conundrum? Thanks!! 

Edited by DC1979

You really can't go wrong with either itinerary.  However, one thing on which I would choose the Baltic is the timing.  In June, you will have the longest days and will see the white nights.

If money and vacation time are not an issue (like they would be for me), then I would do both cruises!

1 minute ago, Alberta Quilter said:

You really can't go wrong with either itinerary.  However, one thing on which I would choose the Baltic is the timing.  In June, you will have the longest days and will see the white nights.

If money and vacation time are not an issue (like they would be for me), then I would do both cruises!

Ha! Trust me if I had the time to do both I would but sadly I can’t take time off work for both, plus have time left for other things so I need to pick one or the other. I am leaning more towards e Baltic as it would be a totally different experience. Decisions, decisions!!

thanks everyone else for your suggestions. Everyone on these boards has helped me a lot with my previous cruise choices!! 

They both have pluses and minuses. The Baltics itinerary is very standard. Does anyone know whether the Nieuw Amsterdam actually sails up through the archipelago and docks IN Stockholm or (as a larger ship) do they have to dock at Nynashamn, which is not ideal...

Also, trying to go to Berlin from the port in Warnemunde makes for a very long (and in my opinion) unsatisfactory day -- but there are other options from that port, such as Rostock.

The Western Med itinerary is kind of "meh" for me. But you have the opportunity to spend time in Rome, which is always a big plus. The port in Livorno is about 90 minutes from Florence; Pisa is a bit closer (about 45 minutes by train, I think).  Marseilles is a good gateway for places like Avignon or Arles. Barcelona is great. The others are nice, but not showstoppers, IMO.  October in the Western Med is less crowded, but you do run the slight risk of more rainy weather.

39 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

My vote would also be the Baltic. Did Eastern and Western Med on B2B Med cruises a few years ago. The western Med doesn't compare with the Eastern Med, IMHO. The Baltic compares better, at least in what interests us.

May I ask why you think it doesn’t compare? I appreciate the comment though - that would factor into my decision for sure. I loved the feel of the eastern Mediterranean so I’d be disappointed if it wasn’t the same (ish) 

Baltic !! Especially St. Petersburg is awesome. Of course Berlin is great as well. We’ve done this cruise from Rotterdam on the Rotterdam in 2018 . We stayed overnight in St. Petersburg and had booked a tour with Alla tours for the two days , was very nice . A small group , 12 people, great guide named Victoria , a well organised tour , Visa included. We still talk about it.

The ship stays long enough in Warnemünde to take the train to Berlin and be back in time , although I would advise taking a ships tour being so far away from port. We live about a six hour car ride away from Berlin, so have been there several times , of course you can never see the whole city in one day but the history is just everywhere! 
Talinn is a little pearl on the Baltic, not having suffered great damage in the war , as Berlin and Hamburg did, it’s like walking back in time .As you can see I’m getting enthousiastic  again myself ! We were actually thinking of doing this cruise again, so my advise is Baltic !!!!

I would go with the Baltic cruise.  

Agree that Western Med itinerary is a bit 'meh'.  You would need to spend a few extra days in Rome and Barcelona needs more than one day to explore in any depth.  Monte Carlo is vey 'meh' and unless you take an excursion to Nice and surrounding area, very little to see there, when compared with Tallinn, St Petersburg etc

I would pick the Baltic too. But if possible, you might consider a smaller ship. This is simply because you would probably get to dock in a more ideal location. But this only applies to a few ports and it also depends on how many ships are in port on a given day.

We did the Baltic twice (1st one in June/July 5 yrs ago, last one in September 2019) and would not mind doing it a third time. I myself would never book an excursion or whatever from Kiel to Hamburg or from Warnemünde to Berlin. Easy to say as we are living quite nearby. June will be a good choice IMO. 

If you choose for the Western Mediterranean (we did that twice plus half a trip returning from Singapore to Rotterdam) I would go to Lucca again (by train, easy enough from Livorno) and maybe on the way back leave the station for a very short trip to the Tower of Pisa (close by).  Montecarlo, we lived in Monaco and I would prefer to visit in May, and the same for Marseille. Barcelona (very very busy, but you should visit it once, at least the Sagrada Familia....and many other places) Cartagena: interesting. Gibraltar: Dolphin or whale watching (I did not check whether October is the right period for one of them.....) and a litte stroll through the town itself (visited at least 6 times; interesting but not more than that).  Cadiz: worthwhile (Sevilla too far away for a daytrip). All "my opinion".   Conclusion: do the Baltic one.....  🙂 or both....

Edited by MAVIP

7 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

I would pick the Baltic too. But if possible, you might consider a smaller ship. This is simply because you would probably get to dock in a more ideal location. But this only applies to a few ports and it also depends on how many ships are in port on a given day.

I did consider that, although I am a bit of an anomaly here. I notice most people on this board tend to prefer the smaller ships (and I understand why they do) but honestly I’m not a fan. I was on the Rynadam (the older one) and I totally didn’t like the ship.  Westerdam was ok, but I much preferred Nieuw Amsterdam and especially the  Koningsdam. I find there’s more to do and I prefer the restaurant choices (I swear I could eat at the Tamarind everyday lol).

I am starting to lean more and more towards the Baltic cruise! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DC1979 said:

I am starting to lean more and more towards the Baltic cruise! 

And maybe HAL plans another cruise in the Western Mediterranean that includes Malta, Naples, Corsica. We enjoyed them a few times. Much to see and do and nice climatological circumstances. 

Edited by MAVIP

Lots of people prefer the larger ships. And the Pinnacle class ships, like the Nieuw Statendam are the largest of the HAL fleet. But they are still much smaller than the really big ships of NCL, RCL, Princess, and others. This is a matter of personal choice.

It is nice to have the choice of the Tamarind.

Enjoy your cruise, no matter what you choose. 

• Like 1

Baltic hands down. Copenhagen is a beautiful city and well worth spending additional time in.  St. Petersburg is the jewel in the crown and I could easily go again and again but every port was great. We did the same cruise on Zuiderdam in 2017 when they still overnighted in Stockholm and Copenhagen (12 night cruise back then) and would not hesitate to repeat it. 

• Like 1

We did the Baltic last year in June and used Alla for the St Petersburg excursions with a private group of 10.  It was our favorite itinerary so far, but the Med is a close second.  Do one this year and the other in a year or two.

2 hours ago, DC1979 said:

May I ask why you think it doesn’t compare? I appreciate the comment though - that would factor into my decision for sure. I loved the feel of the eastern Mediterranean so I’d be disappointed if it wasn’t the same (ish) 

The Western lacks the history...culture...buildings....that the Eastern has. By the way...doing a 24 day Eastern this summer.

The Baltic has a new and different history, culture, etc, from the Med.

We’ve done the Baltic twice and really enjoyed it.  The weather is great in the summer, and it is very interesting.  We did a private tour with SPB tours and saw the hermitage  treasure room and incredible jewelled horse tack.  We travelled the underground, visited the farmers markets, saw the incredible Peterhof Palace, and on and on.  The church of the spilled blood has the most amazing semi precious gem mosaic interior.   Make sure to arrange a private tour to see what you wish to.  

Copenhagen is a lovely city to visit before or after the cruise as well. 

32 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Western lacks the history...culture...buildings....

Excuse me....you are serious? Rome, Florence, Lucca, Monaco, Nice, Marseille, Barcelona, Cartagena, Gibraltar, Cadiz. No history, no culture, no buildings? 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

Excuse me....you are serious? Rome, Florence, Lucca, Monaco, Nice, Marseille, Barcelona, Cartagena, Gibraltar, Cadiz. No history, no culture, no buildings? 

I agree with you there.  I love all the Med -- the best cruise includes the western and the eastern.  I don't think a 10-day can do either justice. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

I agree with you there.  I love all the Med -- the best cruise includes the western and the eastern.  I don't think a 10-day can do either justice. 

I do agree -- an unfortunate choice of words.

For those who love classic history, the entire Med offers much more than the Baltics. While I greatly enjoyed my Baltics cruise in 2006, I've not had any real "itch" to return. Whereas I've been on 10 Med cruises -- eastern, western, southern, Adriatic, Aegean, Holy Land, you name it....

But for someone who may not return again and again to the Med, I would seek out a better itinerary. The Baltics one is pretty standard (in a good way) and it certainly has its share of history too.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

For those who love classic history, the entire Med offers much more than the Baltics. While I greatly enjoyed my Baltics cruise in 2006, I've not had any real "itch" to return. Whereas I've been on 10 Med cruises -- eastern, western, southern, Adriatic, Aegean, Holy Land, you name it....

Well said!  Exactly how I feel. I haven't had 10 Med cruises, more like 6 or 7 so far, but at the end of our 65 days in the Med last fall I was already itching to get back (so booked another 50 days for 2021).  I did love our Baltic cruise and am very glad we did it, but no huge desire to get back.

• Like 1