Segmenting across the South Pacific WC Valparaiso to Sydney 15/02

Silver Spectre

17 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Dang!  Between the missed landings at Easter Island and some of the FP islands turning you away, are you going stir crazy yet?

Not quite yet, however we have been to Fiji before and all the islands that made this voyage attractive have now gone. I have started to hear of people who are thinking of getting off in Sydney and going home.

57 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

I have started to hear of people who are thinking of getting off in Sydney and going home.

I could totally understand that rationale.  We’ve only been to Bora Bora, so our disappointment would be palpable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Yet another wet day, yesterday was a mixture of sunshine and the odd shower, today its cloudy and completely socked in at the moment. This is probably the wettest voyage we have taken in 30 years.

So unfair!  I would feel cheated.

I remember a spring break one year at Kapalua, Maui where it rained non-stop for 4-days.  We were scheduled to be there for 10. Couldn’t take it anymore, so booked a flight for all of us to Poipu, Kauai, and I’ll be damned if that low pressure system didn’t  back up and park itself over the island.  NON... STOP... RAIN for 4 more days.  On the 9th day the sun was out and it was glorious.  Told DW that we had been cheated out of our spring break and I set to planning next year’s trip right then and there. 😁

Jan-Mar is the peak of the wet season right across the South Pacific.  Nevertheless, I do feel desperately sorry for Silver Spectre and everyone else on board.   Rain and this ghastly virus - which must seem as far away as Mars - have been unwelcome guests on this Silversea sailing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

So unfair!  I would feel cheated.

I remember a spring break one year at Kapalua, Maui where it rained non-stop for 4-days.  We were scheduled to be there for 10. Couldn’t take it anymore, so booked a flight for all of us to Poipu, Kauai, and I’ll be damned if that low pressure system didn’t  back up and park itself over the island.  NON... STOP... RAIN for 4 more days.  On the 9th day the sun was out and it was glorious.  Told DW that we had been cheated out of our spring break and I set to planning next year’s trip right then and there. 😁

Bummer Stumblefoot. It has continued to rain all day and will probably do so on Saturday. Luckily we cross the date line at 3am so maybe it will better on Sunday. 😻

11 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Jan-Mar is the peak of the wet season right across the South Pacific.  Nevertheless, I do feel desperately sorry for Silver Spectre and everyone else on board.   Rain and this ghastly virus - which must seem as far away as Mars - have been unwelcome guests on this Silversea sailing.

Thanks for your kind thoughts, I would still rather be here right now than back home.

• Like 4

Dear SS

I totally concur with all the comments made to you - how rotten.  Even the ports who have accepted you haven't been very welcoming by giving you non stop rain.

As you say, looking on the bright side, you are on a lovely ship, with some lovely shipmates (?), lovely food, and do not have to wash clean and cook!!  Hopefully things WILL improve.

I can quite imagine you prefer to be where you are than in the UK, apart from the rapid Covid-19 escalation, the weather is also wet, windy and COLD - and I have to do all the chores!!

Keep smiling!!

Kindest regards

Master Echo 

• Like 1

Thanks ME. It’s now Sunday morning here and whilst it is cloudy it is not raining! I see that Tonga has reported its first case of the Covid19 so perhaps we were fortunate to stay at sea.

The first shortage was identified yesterday, we have run out of clotted cream.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Mr Silver

If they have heavy cream they can make clotted cream aboard.

Perhaps they could pick up a few cows??

Grazing in the stern?

Haven’t found the cows yet! It was quite thick whipped cream yesterday. Apparently the are no mid voyage comment forms left onboard. It’s a logistical nightmare.

After some early morning rain it has turned into a beautiful, warm day. Almost perfect for a sea day.

Edited by Silver Spectre

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Nice!  That was a $600 USD on release.

Grange was consistently cheaper, vintage for vintage, on Silversea, for a number of years, than it was retail in Australia (let alone in restaurants).  I noticed on Muse a couple of weeks ago that the price had risen but still a good deal if that is your thing. Me? I tend to operate a good few rungs below 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

20+ guests at $100 a pop

Still a good deal considering Grange itself would probably be $175 per glass at a bar stateside.

7 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

I noticed on Muse a couple of weeks ago that the price had risen but still a good deal if that is your thing.

As a collector, I can tell you that the best values on the SS ships are the Italian wines.  Although, this last voyage on the Cloud also had a great price (< U.S. wholesale cost) on one of Germany’s greatest producer of Riesling.  In general, the French wines are usually the worst value on SS.

• Like 2